“We hated it and will never return” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge West Atlantic City

You added Econo Lodge West Atlantic City to your Saves list
Econo Lodge West Atlantic City
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1630 N Albany Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401 (Formerly Master Host Inn Atlantic City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #46 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“We hated it and will never return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I can honestly say that I've never been in a more horrible and dreadful place, than the Howard Johnson in Atlantic City. I am appalled at the condition and state of the hotel. The pictures shown on the site are a lie. Here are a few of the things we noticed when we go to our room: The rooms are dirty (we found glitter on the carpet), the smoke detector was torn off the wall, the outlets were coming out, there were dead bugs in the bathroom, the towels were dirty (one had a blood speck on it), the place smelled of mildew and there was garbage on the floor a few doors down from us. Also, the following morning we overheard someone complain to the front desk person about being bitten by bed bugs!!! The hotel charged us $250 for one night's stay, and it was the worst hotel experience we've ever had. Never again. Don't bother going to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed here, because my boyfriend prefers to stay cheap and believe me--- this is a cheap motel - not hotel. Nothing about this place is up to date, the tv is old, the bed was old, the bathroom was shappy as hell!!! If you are a cheap person you can stomach it, but I prefer to feel comfortable where I lay my head. This place will remind you of a ho-stop, cause you pull right off the highway--- I mean right off the highway!!! And WA-LAH you are there!
All I will say if you can afford better - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This hotel was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. It was a good deal considering it was a holiday weekend but if it's too good to be true... it probably is. The profile picture of the hotel is not at all what the hotel looks like. There is a pool in front of the hotel so don't be fooled by the picture. The hotel looks crappy from the outside.

The customer service is terrible. The rooms looked dirty and had a funny smell. The towels looked so dirty. We asked housekeeping for new towels and they were just as dingy as the towels placed in our room. The complimentary iron was missing buttons so you couldn't change the temperature. The power outlets looked like they were falling out the wall. There were dead bugs as well as live bugs in the room. The shower was missing the soap dish and you can tell it's missing because there was some nasty grime in place of it. It's far from the strip. The shuttle bus is not consistent or on time. It cost about $20 to take the cab.

If you are thinking about staying at this hotel....DON'T DO IT!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I know it's only a 2 stars hotel but the hotel need a bit of renovation. The moment you enter the room, a smell of humidity and old carpet hit you. The room was not dirty but feel old and tired. The breakfast was very basic, you just wanna eat as fast as possible and go away, sad atmosphere. The hotel is near a busy street so prepare to hear cars all night long. The guy at the reception was nice
We were only there for 1 night and it's a lot cheaper than atlantic city on a saturday night and it's not too far, 15 minutes by car.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

My husband and I drove into Atlantic City on a Saturday afternoon, one day earlier than expected and chose this hotel as it was on the outskirts of the city and we THOUGHT it would be afforadable.
The reception area was full of people arriving and the phones were ringing constantly but there was only the Manager on duty and it took at least 10-15 minutes before he could attend to us. It was the last room available for the night and the Manager quoted $190 for one night which was an outrageous amount of money but he assured us this was a cheap rate for a Saturday night in AC. It was wet and we were tired so we paid cash and checked into a top floor room to find that it was in a dreadful condition. The carpets were completely stained, there was mould in the bathroom and around the sink in the bedroon, the furnishings were worn though, the bed linens looked unwashed, the pillows lumpy and there was a decided slope on the floor between the front door and the bathroom. When I went back to reception to ask if another room was available, all the people in front of me were asking the same question- and they had worse comments about their rooms that we did!
We took the free shuttle into the Casinos that night and when we were due to return on the shuttle, the driver advised that the heavy (??) rain had flooded and closed the road and he could only take us so far and we would have to walk the rest of the way in the dark and the rain.
During the early hours of the morning we were constantly woken by cars and loud hotel guests returning from "a night on the town". We couldn't leave quickly enough in the morning to check into a delightful room at Caesars for only $129 a night .
This HOJO stay was definately memorable but for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Blairstown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

This was the worst hotel stay I've had in a long time. First thing that happened is when I got there the manager didn't have my reservation. I was holding the confirmation e-mail in my hand with the confirmation number on it and everything. The confirmation e-mail from Howard Johnson had a mistake on it with the address of the wrong HoJo I was staying at. It had the address of the Pacific Ave HoJo in downtown Atlantic City. I had written the correct address down of 1630 N Albany Ave on the e-mail myself after verifying with BOTH hotels which one had my correct reservation. When I told him I was going to call corporate, he told me in an extremely rude manner that he didn't have the time to talk to corporate nor would he even do it at all because he didn't care and he wasn't going to give me a room. I stood there and called corporate right there on the spot and they had my reservation confirmed with that hotel and everything for the night I stayed. Finally after dealing with corporate, the manager did give me a room that was absolutely disgusting where almost nothing worked inside either. DO NOT stay at this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

There are hundreds of places to stay in Atlantic City, but there are some things to understand before you arrive, especially if like me, it is the first time you have visited. Atlantic City makes it big money on Saturday nights, so all hotels and Motels seriously increase the price per room on Saturday nights.
We tried about a dozen hotels, and all wanted $200 plus per room, but thanks to the Howard Johnson Inn, we were able to stay Saturday night.
We checked in at about 6 pm on the Saturday for two nights, and my goodness what a price difference ! Saturday night was $120 and Sunday was just $40 !
Our room was perfectly acceptable, and we were very glad to find this hotel. The staff are very good and kind no matter what race you are. Even the cleaning lady was very nice, thanks to Howard Johnson Inn for everything.

If you are on a budget, rule number one is, visit Atlantic City mid week and avoid Saturday night prices. Parking in Atantic City is a nightmare and can be expensive, so by staying in the Howard Johnson Inn, parking is free. Not all the casino's have free parking, Donald Trump's Plazza does have free parking, and his Taj Mahal is by far the best casino to visit.
The seafront is decked out, and its called a BROAD WALK ! there are many threatening beggars on the broad walk when it gets dark, and best not venture too far North of the Casinos, because within a hundred yards or so, the bottom falls out of the world and people from a different race to us hassle you for money. The Police there are not interested and do not want to appear to be racist, so do not count on their help.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge West Atlantic City? Share your experiences!