“Borgata Water Club is better than Hotels on the Boardwalk” 4 of 5 stars

The Water Club by Borgata
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Renaissance Way, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #2 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
MA
“Borgata Water Club is better than Hotels on the Boardwalk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our trip to the Borgata Water Club was on 8/12/13. Nice clean non-smoking accommodations, friendly staff and adults only setup(pools). The 3 wading pools were very nice and heated. The Borgata main casino is only roughly 50 yards down the hall from the Water Club smoke free lobby.
We had a corner Vista room# 2296(two windows- L shaped room and clean) on 22nd floor of 29 floors(very quiet), it overlooked Harrahs and Golden Nugget Hotels, the Brigantine Bridge and a view of Atlantic City skyline-very nice. Housekeeping staff did a great job everyday(kudos). The bathroom had only one sink and no tub, just a decent sized glass shower stall. TV was at least 40-42 inch size. The king sized foam bed was worn out. The foam mattress worn on both sides with a hump in the middle(high point). We sunk into a well worn groove on both sides of bed(disappointing). We paid $250.00 a night for a Vista room versus a regular room for $199.00 with one window. The $250.00 Vista room is not worth the extra 50.00 if you are on a budget or penny-wise minded. Depends how much time you will be in the room. If we went back, I would do the (one window)199.00 per night plan.
PROS: Get 'even' numbered room if you want a view of Atlantic City, 'odd' numbered rooms face the marsh view side.
Water Club has a nice workout room(overlooks Atlantic City on 32nd floor). but again you will have to pay 15.00 per day to use it.
CONS: Make you pay 5.00 to park your car in a surface lot for the week? A very low blow move/insult in my opinion.
PROS: Take the JITE #2 bus to AC Boardwalk - comes by Borgata every 15 minutes- $2,25 per person one way.
Restaurants:
Borgata Buffet: Didn't go there, but spoke with two NYC, 70 year old women, seasoned gamblers, who said the Borgata Buffet Breakfast was really good but not lunch or dinner. Get there early.

Izakaya - Japanese restaurant is suppose to be excellent too per the two NYC, 70 year old women! We missed the Monday only half price special menu.....it was packed, line out door. Got there at 645pm - earliest reservation was at 10pm. We took a pass and went to Wolf Gang Puck's only to be disappointed with a overpriced meal in the front dinning area.

"Wolf Gang Puck's(Putz)" - Had a lousy dinner for 4 people($220.00)- 3 of us had the almond crusted salmon, it was dry and flavorless. I would not go back there....your paying for the name only.

Bobby Flay's - Didn't go there but heard good and bad reports from folks
The Homestead steak house - We had a great meal ,10oz filet mignon with jumbo shrimp appie(good) and 6 east coast oysters(meh!) - you must make a reservation. Get the waiter named "Larry" and busman Vlad. Great guys that will treat you right and professional.

The Noodles of the World - A great place for all types of Asian foods and soups(authentic). I had the Chicken and Pad Thai, the wife had Kyoto-Udon, both were excellent and alot of Asians go there.

The Metropolitan - Good breakfast and lunch menu's(NYC style).....go to bar counter to avoid waiting for a table.

Bottom level of Borgata Water Club has fast food court- Salad Bar, Fat Burger, Japanese, Chinese and Italian take out. Ben and Jerry's too.

Offsite Dining on Boardwalk-
Go to "Il Mulino" for fine Italian dining restaurant in Trump Taj Mahal Hotel for top notch staff service and dinner - it is not cheap. Or you can do the "Il Mulino" Trattoria next door for a lower priced menu.
I also as told the Dock's Oyster House is excellent for oyster lovers.

Room Tip: PROS: Get 'even' numbered room if you want a view of Atlantic City, 'odd' numbered...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed for 2 nights as a quick city getaway. I have stayed at the Borgata before, but decided to try the Water Club this time around, since it only came out to $30/night more. When we arrived it was pouring rain so we chose to valet the car. It is a $10 fee for your entire stay, which we thought was fair for the convenience of it. We took an escalator up into the main lobby that is immaculate and impressive. It was 2:30pm, so we did not think we would be able to check-in, but decided we would try. We met a lovely front-desk girl who allowed us to check-in right away; the whole process took no more than 5 minutes (check-in at the Borgata was always a long line). We stayed on the 21st floor in room 2186, an accessible room as the hotel was all sold-out. We never waited longer than 2 minuted for an elevator the whole time, by the way. The room was cool, fresh and clean. The carpet was without stains, the bathroom immaculate, the rain-head shower an added plus. The bed was also very comfortable, but came with only 3 pillows. We called for an extra and within 15 minutes it arrived. Overall, we were very happy with the room. The food choices at the hotel were great, anything form fast food to elegant dining and inbetween. We dined at the Old Homestead Steakhouse, and it was absolutely delicious, but very expensive for 2. With an appetizer, a glass of wine each, a steak each and a dessert it came to a little over $250, which is actually less than we expected. The casino area is huge and is definitely the main event. We saw a lot of people winning! We only play slot machines, and ended up about $150 up by the end of the trip, which was more than anticipated!
Overall: Loved the location (about a mile away from the trashiness of the boardwalk, but still close enough), loved the upscale appearance of the hotel as a whole, loved the food choices and the comfort and cleanliness of the room. We will definitely be staying here again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

If you don't stay here, you will find yourself driving over to experience this first class resort. Worth the money to use the pool area in the summer, but you can't go wrong with either the Borgata or WC. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The Water Club is a gorgeous hotel and by far the nicest in Atlantic City. The staff are great and the rooms are large and nicely appointed. Love the bathroom, especially the shower. I get to enjoy this gorgeous place thanks to my Borgata host William Mullen. Special thanks to him.

• Stayed August 2013
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Only stayed one night, but the room was immaculate and comfortable. The hotel and casino overall is clean, with very friendly staff. I didn't get to use the pool, but our friends did and everyone enjoyed it. Wish I was there longer, maybe next time. It is a little pricy, especially for one night. But we choice to stay there because our friends were all there. So it makes getting together much easier.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night with friends. Our room was immaculate and very comfortable. The casino itself is gorgeous and also extremely clean. We ate dinner at the Italian restaurant and found the food and wait staff to be excellent. My friend and I also used the spa and enjoyed massages. From check in to check out, everything was handled smoothly. Halfway up the parkway I realized that I left my phone charger plugged into the wall in the room. I called their housekeeping line and told them what I had left behind. Within a half hour they called me back to let me know it was located and took my address down in order for it to be shipped to me. I received it in the mail 3 days later. We plan on returning in a few weeks and again for our anniversary in September.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'll preface this review that I have never been to Atlantic City and this was my first trip. We also were comp-ed rooms (we have some really nice friends so thanks so them) so didn't pay what looked like $400+ for a Sat night stay.

That said, I liked the Water Club. The hotel seemed to be either very young (early 20's) or very old (80+ with walkers). Didn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

Check-in seemed to go smoothly and no hassle about the comp rooms. Room itself was very nice and was actually quite big. Pillows were a little flat but doubled-up and seemed to do the trick. Nice views of the water and noise was not an issue for us at all during the stay. Never heard anyone while we were there. Nice bath amenities and a lot of counter space. There were robes in the room which was a plus. One negative was there was only a shower and no tub. (I'm a tub person so was disappointed, but it was only 1 night so not too big a deal).

Pools were ridiculously crowded. Absolutely no chairs or clean towels were available. The day we were there was rainy and the indoor pools were freezing. It was uncomfortable as the air temp around the pool was kept very cold. We ended up not staying by the pool as it was just too crowded and cold. Outdoor pool area did seem small and that was on a rainy day when there were not a lot of people outside. I can't imagine how crowded it would be on a nice day. Outside pool was small too.

We spent the afternoon in the spa on the 32nd floor. It was a very nice space and we didn't mind paying a little extra to get the peace and quiet away from the all-you-can-drink crowd at the other pools. Spa treatments were pricey. I only had one massage and it was just ok. Again, spa area was very nice. Pool and whirlpool area were tranquil and the people respected the no cell phone and quiet talk atmosphere. We ended up spending several hours just hanging out there and enjoying the sauna too. I would go back just to do that again. Spa reception was spotty. Some were nice and helpful and some were just downright rude (there was an Asian gentlemen at spa reception that basically called me a liar about the manager offering my husband a day pass and when the manager (Charlotte) confirmed he didn't even apologize. Not a great way to be welcomed to the spa).

Ate at the buffet for lunch. It was good. It was a buffet. Enough said. We went to Wolfgang Puck's for dinner. Food was very good except the shrimp risotto came with crab and not shrimp. I like both but thought it was odd that the main ingredient had been switched without comment. The service was not great and the servers were weird. They didn't know the menu. They couldn't answer any questions about wine list. They didn't know anything about wines by the glass. I asked the server to put all the drinks on our bill since our friends had a comp for the dinner. The guy acted like he'd never heard of such a request. He just couldn't fathom the request and I discreetly asked for the manager who similarly said he'd never been asked to segregate the alcohol on one tab. Gimme a break! I felt like I was at an Applebee's.

Casino was packed! When they leave the pool everyone must come over to the casino. It was difficult to find a table to play. I guess you want a packed casino over a quiet one but it was a little too crowded. People were somewhat pushy but again it's a casino so not sure what you can do about that. I think it might be AC in general, but there were some pretty skanky looking people in the casino. Like "professional" looking skanky. Again, it's a casino and I think you kind of expect that kind of thing. Just seemed more blatant than I had experience in Vegas or I would have expected in a more "upscale" hotel.

Checkout was easy and picking up the car from the valet was a breeze. They even put the luggage we had left with the concierge in the car when we picked it up. Nice touch.

All in all a nice stay. Even better that it was comp-ed, but I would recommend as a nice hotel.

Room Tip: This is not a kid hotel at all. (I loved it!) If you bring kids go to the Borgata and not the Wate...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Water Club by Borgata? Share your experiences!