“Nice hotel for 1st AC experience” 4 of 5 stars

The Water Club by Borgata
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Atlantic, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #2 of 61 hotels in Atlantic City
San Francisco
“Nice hotel for 1st AC experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'll preface this review that I have never been to Atlantic City and this was my first trip. We also were comp-ed rooms (we have some really nice friends so thanks so them) so didn't pay what looked like $400+ for a Sat night stay.

That said, I liked the Water Club. The hotel seemed to be either very young (early 20's) or very old (80+ with walkers). Didn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

Check-in seemed to go smoothly and no hassle about the comp rooms. Room itself was very nice and was actually quite big. Pillows were a little flat but doubled-up and seemed to do the trick. Nice views of the water and noise was not an issue for us at all during the stay. Never heard anyone while we were there. Nice bath amenities and a lot of counter space. There were robes in the room which was a plus. One negative was there was only a shower and no tub. (I'm a tub person so was disappointed, but it was only 1 night so not too big a deal).

Pools were ridiculously crowded. Absolutely no chairs or clean towels were available. The day we were there was rainy and the indoor pools were freezing. It was uncomfortable as the air temp around the pool was kept very cold. We ended up not staying by the pool as it was just too crowded and cold. Outdoor pool area did seem small and that was on a rainy day when there were not a lot of people outside. I can't imagine how crowded it would be on a nice day. Outside pool was small too.

We spent the afternoon in the spa on the 32nd floor. It was a very nice space and we didn't mind paying a little extra to get the peace and quiet away from the all-you-can-drink crowd at the other pools. Spa treatments were pricey. I only had one massage and it was just ok. Again, spa area was very nice. Pool and whirlpool area were tranquil and the people respected the no cell phone and quiet talk atmosphere. We ended up spending several hours just hanging out there and enjoying the sauna too. I would go back just to do that again. Spa reception was spotty. Some were nice and helpful and some were just downright rude (there was an Asian gentlemen at spa reception that basically called me a liar about the manager offering my husband a day pass and when the manager (Charlotte) confirmed he didn't even apologize. Not a great way to be welcomed to the spa).

Ate at the buffet for lunch. It was good. It was a buffet. Enough said. We went to Wolfgang Puck's for dinner. Food was very good except the shrimp risotto came with crab and not shrimp. I like both but thought it was odd that the main ingredient had been switched without comment. The service was not great and the servers were weird. They didn't know the menu. They couldn't answer any questions about wine list. They didn't know anything about wines by the glass. I asked the server to put all the drinks on our bill since our friends had a comp for the dinner. The guy acted like he'd never heard of such a request. He just couldn't fathom the request and I discreetly asked for the manager who similarly said he'd never been asked to segregate the alcohol on one tab. Gimme a break! I felt like I was at an Applebee's.

Casino was packed! When they leave the pool everyone must come over to the casino. It was difficult to find a table to play. I guess you want a packed casino over a quiet one but it was a little too crowded. People were somewhat pushy but again it's a casino so not sure what you can do about that. I think it might be AC in general, but there were some pretty skanky looking people in the casino. Like "professional" looking skanky. Again, it's a casino and I think you kind of expect that kind of thing. Just seemed more blatant than I had experience in Vegas or I would have expected in a more "upscale" hotel.

Checkout was easy and picking up the car from the valet was a breeze. They even put the luggage we had left with the concierge in the car when we picked it up. Nice touch.

All in all a nice stay. Even better that it was comp-ed, but I would recommend as a nice hotel.

Room Tip: This is not a kid hotel at all. (I loved it!) If you bring kids go to the Borgata and not the Wate...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Plainview, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

my husband and i just got back from a 3 night stay at the water club (and it was not our first time here) and all i can say is DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. this is supposed to be an upscale boutique hotel but it does not offer any kind of upscale service. the first day it took us an hour to get breakfast in the sunroom. an hour. without our server coming over to check on us to see if we needed anything. or checking on our food. or the manager coming over until we asked for him. seriously. for a fruit plate, toast and eggs. next, we had pre-booked our stay thru amex and when we tried to check out one day early due to a family emergency they said we could go but they would not refund our money. nice to be understanding. that same night the girl who checked us in to our dinner reservations at wolfgang's was so rude i couldn't get over it. she was rude to us. with reservations. you chose your job in customer service. lastly, at 5:30am the twenty-somethings decided it was party-time in the hallway outside our room. and they were loud. and they banged on doors. and maybe even our door. we had heard about this the day before but now it was our turn to experience this. we called security. it quieted down for 10 min and started up again. when we complained to the manager of the hotel about our experience he looked at me blankly and all he said is he didn't have enough to security to control this as other people at the desk said they heard the same thing outside their door. not enough security this seems to be a common complaint. they do not care about their guests at all. i will NEVER GO BACK AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went July 30 for 3 nights. Chose Water Club over Borgata and Revel. Decent stay, quiet rooms, little beaten. Our sink was stopped up and someone came immediately to address and followed up with a call. Check in sucks. Called at 3 pm to see if we could get in early, woman was just about rude saying I need to be on site to request. I stay all over the USA, this is a first. Was this like lining up for the GA section for a Dave Matthews show? Thanks for your help, I guess. Really dumb rule, if true. Got to room, found plastic shot glasses everywhere, and white stains on the blue sheets. Not asking questions, just called housekeeping. Almost called Revel. View was nice of the Bay.

Never got a call back from concierge. Pool is crowded, but better than Borgata which reminded me of the local YMCA. The WC pool is 18+ which is nice. WC out door pool was crazy hot, almost uncomfortable. Felt better outside of the pool! Service was decent at pool, and indoor pool was much cooler in temperature

Sunbar was awesome but closed at 10pm. Waitress was very nice.

At check out, NO ONE ASKED how our stay was? Really? Did that really happen? Got a bill and a thank you but nothing asked about our stay. Customer service isn't really there. Maybe you need to be a player to get any serious attention. Surely not a refined service establishment if you expect such treatment.

OK stay. Not terrible, but not screaming to return. Sort of like a mediocre date......probably wont call again.....

Room Tip: Go weekdays. Be sure to be on site to request early check in ( if true).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at borgata for 2 nights with my husband. Hotel is better then the rest of the hotels but with their price tag, they need to be superior. When asked questions to employees you always got a different answer to the same question therefore you are always confused. That's a training issue. The best employee there is security and if I remember correctly it was Joseph. He actually escorted me to my destination. This was all for a card replacement. 3 different employees 3 different answers. Joseph was an angel. He actually took me to the counter and said give this woman a card already. Also check your account on file at reception. They charged my card twice for room and then argued like it was my fault. Not going back anytime soon due to customer service.

• Stayed July 2013
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

After staying at The Borgata several times in years past, I was looking forward to my two night stay at the Water Club and was under the impression that it would be an upscale experience. The Valet was polite and efficient and for the $10 per stay fee ($5 with a Borgata card), you can park at any other casino at no cost. The Spa area was gorgeous and the lobby Sun Room had great ambience with friendly staff. The Club Room had a great view (although I missed the floor to ceiling windows of Borgata). The bed was not nearly as comfortable as the beds I remember at the Borgata. There was no place to sit except for one desk chair (no table). I did not expect an internet fee at such a high priced hotel. And now for the totally unexceptable...I did not expect to find lip stick stained glasses, well worn and damaged furniture, hair on the window sill, and a lamp base that I was able to write my name on in the dust - ICK. Upon check-out, no one asked how the stay was. When concerns were shared, no one seemed to care. Buyer beware especially if you plan on paying anywhere near the high ticket price that these rooms go for on summer weekends. Not worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Sunday night 300.00 night room. I really thought we were in for something special. The room was sooooo filthy. My shower had black hair across the wall and my feet picked up hair as I walked on the rug. The indoor pool was ok. The outside pool looses sun early due to its position. I don't think guests are permitted in the spa pool. Wolfgang pucks restaurant was substandard and expensive. The smell of smoke from borgata floor was also gross. I have to say my view was cool!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the marina and inlet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oceanport, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I returned from the Water Club this AM after a 2 day visit. The lobby is lovely and the public areas of the hotel were terrific. I stayed in a Club Room, overlooking the water. I was surprised to find a wine glass with lipstick stains, a lot of dust on the lamps and the radio, one package for coffee, chipped furniture and only one desk chair to sit on. I did not complain at the time but I did tell the person who handled my check out this am. She did not ask if I had a pleasant stay - she just handed me my receipt... So, as I was about to leave, I told her about the issues I found in the room. She said I should have said something earlier...well, maybe I should have but the response should have been - I'm sorry you encountered these problems, what can I do to make it right now instead of turning the problem back on me because I didn't say anything earlier...
I was also surprised to find a $10 fee for internet access, and a $30 fee to use the spa pool. The Club rooms, on weekends in the summer are $570 or so per night... This is not acceptable.
On the plus side, the staff overall was excellent in every area. They went out of their way to be accommodating and pleasant. This included the spa area (which we went to see on arrival), the breakfast in the Sun Room (Domenico was terrific), the dinners at the Borgata. Everyone was very, very nice.
Overall, I wouldn't spend the money again. If this is the best AC has to offer, I won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Water Club by Borgata? Share your experiences!