“They charged me for a room that was sold out ! and never refunded me"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Betoma

You added Hotel Betoma to your Saves list
Hotel Betoma
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 8 # 1 - 58 | El Rodadero, Santa Marta, Colombia   |
Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Santa Marta
New York, New York, United States
“They charged me for a room that was sold out ! and never refunded me"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

I booked a room online, and first they told me via email that I was not charged
and when I emailed to find out what happend, I was told that the hotel is booked and no rooms available for that date - so I proceeded to book a room in another hotel nearby

however when couple of days later I check my credit card statement online
I saw an unknown charge for that day, and suspected it's from the hotel,
that they did indeed charge me for a room I never got !! for the total amount of $134

I called and emailed them letting them know of this mistake, but
at first the owner emailed and promised that they are taking care of this matter
and that I will be refunded my money and credited back within 15 days

now it's been over 30 days, and no refund yet, and have not heard
back from the owner even though I followed up with a couple of more
emails and calls to the hotel to remind them about this and nothing """

now I have to proceed and file a dispute through my credit card company
because I am very angry at their not only unprofessionalism, but dis-honesty even more.

taking my money for a already sold out room, and not doing anything to correct
this stupid error on purpose,

don't stay at this hotel, or at least don't book online because you are taking chances,
unless you go in person to make sure the room is available
before you give them any credit card number ,

as for me, I would never reccomend such a dishonest ridiculous establishment to anyone,

Room Tip: Go to Hotel Palma Blanca they are the best "" they are truly wonderful honest and profe...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I would not recommend hotel Betoma. It looks like a hotel that could have been nice 20 years ago, but it had been badly kept and it certainly needs an update. Here is why we didn’t like it:

ROOMS: They could use some maintenance. The furniture is old, the walls are dirty, the AC makes so much noise it’s impossible to sleep if you have it on. The bathrooms don’t have windows and their smell it’s not the best, to say the least.

COMMON AREAS: The furniture is old, some places are dirty and the elevators could use some maintenance. The first time we got in it, the power went off. We decided not to risk our lucks and took the stairs the rest of our stay.

BREAKFAST: Despite it being announced as free on their website, they charge you for it The first day, we decided to have it at the hotel but we were disappointed since the service was slow, the tablecloths were dirty and we sat in office chairs instead of dining chairs.

VIEWS: despite being close to the beach, the rooms don’t have view to the sea. Instead, they face other tall buildings and a multiple-storey parking lot.

STAFF: I have to acknowledge that the staff is polite and always has the best disposition. However, they are inefficient. Despite having reserved and doubled checked the reservation, our names weren’t on their list when we arrived. In one occasion, my mom had to ask for a towel 3 times before they brought it to our room and one day they simply forgot to clean the room.

The one good thing about the hotel is its location since it’s close to restaurants and to the beach. But that’s about it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The location is decent, close to the beach, less than 1 block. The hotel is also very inexpensive. We paid approximately $75US per night. Cons: the rooms are very outdated, walls are dirty and cracked. The matress was thin and hard, uncomfortable. The shower does not have much water pressure, hardly any hot water. Our room had a balcony which faced the street so it was very loud at night. You could hear music and traffic from the streets which made it tough to get to sleep. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, it was a large suite with a bedroom, living area and kitchen with...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed there for a few days while visiting Colombia, we checked out the top 10 hotels on the list and stayed for one night at the stelar at the convention center, we were disappointed there and move to el Rodadero at the betoma, such a nice place, great place for it's value, the people that work there are extremely friendly and helpful, free Internet and free calls to the us, wifi all over the hotel, we got a good deal and got breakfast included on the price, only 60 usd for two people on a big suite with a kitchen, fridge and 2 rooms. Will defenetly recommend this hotel over any other one. Lots of foreigners from europe were also staying there at the same time.

• Stayed July 2011
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel is a family run business and the owner's son was visiting from Texas with his family. He gave us tons of great tips for where to eat (Donde Cucho, which is a few blocks from the hotel) and really made us feel at home. The hotel is just a half-block from the most active part of the beach at El Rodadero. Our room was clean, had a nice terrace for eating our breakfast (which is included), and the A/C made it easy to get a comfortable night's sleep. The free wi-fi made it easy to check email. All of this for a very economic price ($60USD, or 120,000 pesos) for 3 people with breakfast!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Jackson Heights, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I chose this hotel based on the reviews from Tripadvisor and I wasn't disappointed. The location in Rodadeo is excellent. Half a block from the beach. The AC works really well. For the location and price it was excellent. Since they don't serve breakfast it was great to choose a breakfast place every morning. I ate an arepa con huevo which I haven't done in years. I really loved my experience in Santa Marta!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

My fiance and I traveled here a while ago, but I wanted to write a review because we like to show our support. From what we can remember, it was a very nice stay. It's nothing fancy, but very clean. The staff are super friendly and very helpful. The room was spacious, very clean, had a nice balcony, air-conditioning and hot water in the shower. There was also wifi and a mini-fridge. And it was a bargain at $50 USD per night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Betoma? Share your experiences!