“Very pleasant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zuana Beach Resort

You added Zuana Beach Resort to your Saves list
Zuana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cr 2 No. 6-80 | Bello Horizonte, Santa Marta 5009, Colombia   |
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Santa Marta
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed for a week in the beginning of June and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were very good and we have no complaints about reception. We were in the old part but the room was clean and tidy and well serviced. We did find the beds too hard for us but still slept well.
Would not rave about the food but we only ate on site a few times because we had a rental car and like to explore. Very happy with the variety of pools and the security of the premises over all.
It was a good base for us to go to Tayrona Park and other interesting spots in and around Santa Marta.
On a final note which I will cover on another post under rental cars, we had a small dispute and our hotel staff were fantastic. We do not speak Spanish but with our phrase book and the staff who did not speak English we had no problems at all. There were English speaking staff as well,just not many. The one point that did annoy was a nightly insurance charge, this was our first visit to Colombia so maybe it is the norm. Considering we take out fully comprehensive insurance when we travel to cover all eventualities this felt like a ripoff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Socialmediazuana, Manager´s representative at Zuana Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. It has been a real pleasure to have you and your family here at Zuana Beach Resort and in our country as well. We and our entire personnel are committed to high service standards to guarantee our visitors to have a great experience. We´ll be looking forward to have you here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

So after reading all of the other reviews, we decided to go to Zuana Beach Resort anyway! This is a very nice property, directly on the beach, has five swimming pools and delightful staff. It is set up as a week-long stay hotel, predominantly for time share owners, but certainly anyone can stay. We traded Interval International time. As it turned out, because we came in on a Saturday, we were given a room in the old part, not the brand new tower. Had we come on Sunday, we could have. Beware!! That being said,our room was delightful, very clean, upgraded and modern, and air conditioning was great.

They play this place to the letter of the rules - it was almost comical. I ordered a dry martini. The waiter said they had Beefeaters. I replied that I wanted a vodka martini not gin. "That is not possible" came the reply. Because it wasn't in the system, there was no way they would serve me! (I drank the gin!)

The restaurant and few other pool-side or beach-side menus are fine, the food is good, though I felt it was a bit pricey. The buffet, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, averages about $30 US.

Another funny story - we went to the buffet for lunch, grabbed a dinner plate and because we usually start with salad, proceeded to the salad bar. One of the girls came flying from behind the buffet, finger swaggering and she literally grabbed our plates from our hands admonishing us that salad was only to be had in one of their tiny little bowls.

We were most surprised by the 26 tankers parked just offshore. These are always there and sometimes get down to only 8 or so. But the pictures we saw don't tell the story. No shimmering blue Caribbean water.

We felt safe at all times around the hotel, they have excellent guards. We walked up the beach for a mile or so. After dark you stay on property.

We loved cabbing into Santa Marta at night for the Parque de Los Novios- a wonderful area with numerous bars and restaurants. Fantastico!

There are a few Super Mercados. Take the taxi and skip the one in the hotel - it's priced way too high. We cooked in our room a lot and went out at night.

The new building's Zuama Bar is great -very well decorated and super views.

I am surprised others reported bad service at the front desk. Remembering they have very tight rules, I would say they always bent over backward to accommodate us. Our Spanish was limited and they were great about helping us. Also, there is staff absolutely everywhere!

There are vendors on the beach itself, but the hotel has a small seawall that they are not allowed to cross. So if you want to get close to the vendors, go past that point, if not, stay behind. It's funny how some people whine on these reports!

All in all a nice place. Have fun.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tower 2. If not, get floors 7 or 8 for the view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were at Zuana in October 2012 with family. This was our second trip to the resort. Just like the first time, Zuana did not disappoint!! We are always treated like family when we visit. Caliche and Nelson are absolutely amazing!!!! We can not say enough great things about their service!! We spent our days relaxing by the pools while our 3 year old son swam endlessly. We do love the new addition of the Tower. The Cuban bar was fabulous!! We love dancing to live salsa!! The only real complaint I did have was the construction that was being done. It did put a damper on our son napping in the afternoon. The food overall was average for a beach resort. There was entertainment and we did enjoy it some of the evenings. Again, not a 5 star resort, but very nice for a family vacation.

Room Tip: The beds are hard
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The resort is very nice but the customer service a front desk is the worst ,they only have 1restaurant for the resort. The vendors in the beach harass you all the time.resort no bother to check.no choice for food . Supply in rooms is very limited. The food is like they count what u eat .no entertainment. At night .be carefully I get robed for vendor nelfrim .i take a tour with him never give my change back.also vendor in the beach Elio.another thief .be adware no take tours with vendors in beach.avoid this resort a all cost..they robed you and never give money back.worst resort I ever been.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I took my 4 kids to spend the day at this resort since it was my first time reuniting with them in years. At the the first gate I was stopped by gate keeper and asked (in a very unfriendly and not-welcoming manner) what I needed, I explained that I wanted to spend the day and wanted to purchase 5 day passes and so he directed me to a second gate further down the road where I was not greeted by Doorman Maximiliano Pabon and in a non-welcoming tone of voice he asked me .."Yes?" Now I explained this doorman about what my intentions were and he told me that I needed to go back to the other gate (gate from which I was told to come to him), So I told him I just came from this other gate and attendant had forward me to him that I wasn't gonna go back to the other gate and that I needed to go inside and talk to the front desk agents where he in a very aggravating tone of voice told me that it wasn't possible.... that I needed to go back to talk to the first gate attendant and Mr. Pabon closed the door on my face! At this point I was getting very stressed and aggravated by this individual. I asked for him to call me a manager and he bluntly refused to and said I need to go back to the other gate. Happens that a Bell attendant (I'm guessing he was) heard me complaint and went inside and talked to the front desk clerk and authorized this doorman to let me in. This front desk clerk helped me in getting those day passes and heard my complaint, apologized tried to calm me down (Ironic that the place I had chosen to relax and enjoy my reunion got me on such of high level of discomfort and stressed all in front of my kids).

I asked to talk to a manager and I was told managers were in a meeting, I asked if a manager would come see me and talk to me when the meeting would be finished and pointed to the reception clerk where I would be seated.... A manager never came to see me.

Room Tip: If you are looking for excellence in service go elsewhere. Not worth the money you spend there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Santa Marta, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We go here annually - we have a time share - the place is nice, relaxing. Not 5 star - maybe 3.5 or 3.4 star. It's clean and neat but old and needs maintenance. They have added a brand new building on the ocean with 16 floors which is nice. The food is average at the restaurants - compared with other resorts in Cabo San Lucas, Cancun and Baru the amount of selection and quality is average. Here for dinner they have maybe 3 tables of food - one of entree's with 4 or 5 selections and sides.. Nothing elaborate or incredible by any means. It's a nice place to go and hangout even if it's only 5 km from your house...

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The organization I work for was hosting a workshop with people from more than 10 different countries. Arranging logistics with the corporate department was absolutely easy and pleasant. All our guests were very happy and no one had complaints. The hotel is beautiful, especially the "modern" part as they call it (there's an old and a new building) and the pools. The conference rooms are new and the gorgeous view is a little bit distracting (and I mean this in a good way!) The food was very good but not great. I found the buffet to be a little bit expensive. Overall this is a great hotel to either have a nice family vacation or host a corporate/business event.

Room Tip: Rooms in the modern (new) building are nicer!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Zuana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!