“We were moved to 3 different rooms for 3 nights” 1 of 5 stars

Sol Caribe San Andres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Colon 2-77, San Andres Island, Colombia   |
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in San Andres Island
Denver, Colorado
“We were moved to 3 different rooms for 3 nights”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I've stayed at lot's of places in Latin America so my expectations are in check. We booked this hotel via my husbands job, so we thought we'd be getting what their website and the photos show. I'm looking at some of the photos and I wonder where they exist in the hotel, because we didn't see it. We arrived and were put in a room on the 4th(#423) floor with 2 twin beds and were told we'd be switched the following day. Ok-we could deal with that. However, upon further inspection we noticed we had one bath towel and one face towel. I called the front desk twice in the evening and again in the morning for more towels-we never received them. There were also no hooks for towels, bars or any type of place for hanging clothes. Our room faced into a dead hallway space with bright fluorescent lights where they store extra chairs. We were awoken to loud, pounding music from the disco that is located on the 5th floor. My husband never went back to sleep. The next morning we were told have your things packed up and we'll move you after 3:30. We had our things packed and went out for the day. We returned at 6pm and we hadn't been moved. We asked, no action. Finally, we found Adrana (or Adriana) who was very helpful and she moved us to room #324. This was a bit more spacious and appealing. Still the loud, pounding vibrations from the disco kept us from getting a great sleep. We showered before we moved into this room so we didn't notice the shower didn't work properly until the NEXT afternoon after spending all day in the sand, sea, and sun. It was coming out like a kinked, flaccid garden hose, but we needed to clean up for dinner. We reported it and they just looked at us and told us a pipe was broken on the 5th floor. We waited a bit and saw them talk to someone on the radio, but no explanation to us, no resolution. With a bit more prodding, Carmen appeared, who apparently is head of reception. She finally called maintenance after waiting for over 30 minutes. After the maintenance guy was working for a bit, Carmen asked if we wanted to switch to Sol Caribe Campo. We said NO we don't want to pack up and move for a 3rd time and we want to eat dinner. After a bit she said we could move into the suite on the 2nd floor. Again we said we just want our room fixed and we don't want to move again. Finally, after 2 1/2 hours, they realized they didn't have the correct part and the water was shut off so we moved into #205. The shower wasn't working properly in this room, but with a few knobs turned here/there it worked. However, the water was cold. The room was noisy because it faces Avenida Colon and the windows weren't sound proof and one of them couldn't be closed all the way. I asked for a refund of one night and transportation to the airport. They wrote up a letter and showed they will refund me one night. I'm waiting for the refund on my card as I type. The food is cafeteria, buffet and it's what you'd expect. Good not great. We had the breakfast/dinner meal plan so we didn't get to eat at the other restaurants. Towels and linens are thin. I asked for a towel at the pool the second day and was told the machine was broken so there weren't any. I guess we just had bad luck and had the crummiest, oldest rooms. I think there are different parts of the hotel and it depends on where you end up staying. Their Campo property looked pretty from the street.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the disco and street. 1st floor is probably quietest.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Its a fine place to stay if we had gotten a cheaper price but for the price the quality was disappointing. It was a fine place to stay if you can get a cheap price.

Food - OK, completely acceptable to me but dont expect the large selection of the all inclusives in Mexico and the Carribean.
Restaurants - Dont need to get up early as there were no lines when I went for reservations, but then again most days all the restaurants were closed with no explanation until I had to specifically ask.. as in ok tell me why the restaurants are closed.. response.. the chef told me the restaurants are not open. Ok why did the chef tell you that. She did not know. After asking around they finally revealed if they dont feel there are enough people then they dont open the restaurants.

Rooms - Clean and outdated decor. I dont mind the mold on the ceiling and the chipped and cracked tiles. The room was huge, and the tv was about 15 feet from the bed which meant I needed my glasses in bed to watch tv. AC worked well.

Staff - generally nice but not forthcoming with information. I had to ask for any information I received. They did not inform us of the entertainment at night or that there was a shuttle to the hotel which I would have liked to have known before I left. Also note that very few of the staff spoke English.

Internet - for me this was a huge problem, they give you coupons for a half hour to use the internet. When I couldnt connect for the first and second day I asked numerous staff what the problem, their response - everyone else can get on.. of which I saw no one else using the internet to ask if they had internet. Finally one staff willing to help me realized the signal was down as if that was the solution and promptly leaves because no one is going to look into why its down. The internet can only be used on the second floor so most rooms do not have wifi access. When I finally did get on its annoying cause I forget what time I logged on then it just cuts off internet and I would lose what I was working on.. there is no warning that your time is almost up.

Hot water- Almost, some days it was tepid at best, and once after being in the shower for quite a while it finally started getting hot.

Location is good, can walk to the beach shops and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had a fantastic time at this hotel. The food was very good. The service was very personalised and therefore good quality. The information about the hotels private beach and free transport was well informed. I would be very happy to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book online and send communicate with the hotel a week before departure.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The latest review for this hotel was from 2012, but after reading many others, I really debated whether or not to stay at the Sol Caribe San Andres. Some reviews complained about the food, about the room, about the location, about the staff...so needless to say I was a bit nervous but I booked here anyway.

I arrived on a flight that was extremely delayed and didn't get to the hotel until about 3 am. Nobody spoke English (which is fine as I can speak Spanish) and the front desk clerk checked me in relatively quickly. I asked if there was a bar open (the hotel is all-inclusive) but everything closes at 2 am. I got to the room and it's what I expected for a hotel in the tropics. The room was big and dated (paintings from the 1970's all over the walls) but the air conditioning worked very well. I like noise when I sleep so I asked for a fan and within five minutes, the porter delivered a fan. He also gave me some drinking water (there are no cups in the rooms and the sink water is not potable). The room had a mini bar with outrageously high prices but I wanted a drink before bed since I arrived so late and opened a bottle of aguardiente. The hotel charges $23,000 but you can buy the same bottle in a store for $12,000 so I just replaced it before checking out so I didn't have to pay $23,000.

The hotel is all inclusive and when I woke up the next morning, there was a full buffet breakfast with pre-prepared scrambled eggs, potatoes, fruits, etc. But there was also an omelet stand where you could have freshly prepared omelets or eggs made. The woman at the omelet station was incredibly sweet.

For an all-inclusive hotel, the quality of the food was very, very good. In addition to the buffet dinner, they have 3 other restaurants - an Italian/Mexican themed one, a seafood one and a parilla (grill). I only tried the seafood and grill ones. You have to make reservations for these in advance in the morning at breakfast. There is an employee with a clipboard and seats fill up quickly. I was disappointed with the grill. The quality of meat was not the best. The seafood restaurant was excellent. They served ceviche as an appetizer and had 3 choices for the main course. I ate there 2 nights and was pleased with the experience both nights.

I used the pool at the hotel just for a bit. It was large and clean and a nice temperature. But if you're going to San Andres, you want to explore and take advantage of the excursions, so you're really not at the hotel much other than to eat and sleep. The one thing I really liked is that they have a shuttle bus that takes you to the Sol Caribe Campo, which is another one of their hotels outside of the center of the city. There you have more pools and a private beach, which was really nice. Other Tripadvisor users complained about the location of Sol Caribe San Andres, but I was happy with it. It's a block walk to a beach and there's a nice nightlife in this neighborhood.

My only two complaints: #1 was the internet. They give you "coupons" for 30 minute intervals which can be difficult if you want to conduct business on Skype and you have a 1 hour conference call. However, the trick is that if you complain enough, they will give you a 1 day "coupon" so you don't have to keep on logging back in every 30 minutes. They won't give it to you without a fight, though. #2: The indifference/lack of friendliness of some of the staff. The overwhelming majority of the employees were so nice and kind and helpful (especially the ones who worked at the buffet and night bar) but a few were not friendly and in several instances, rude.

San Andres is not as developed (from a tourist perspective) as many other Caribbean resorts, but they try hard. If you can get Sol Caribe San Andres for under $120 US a night as I did, I think it's a great value. The meals are good and filling, there's never a line to get a drink and it's in an established neighborhood.

One final thing to note: beer and wine are included in the hotel package. Some prior reviews said only mixed drinks were free, but there was never a charge for beer or wine, which is nice for someone who doesn't drink hard liquor!

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool have a nice view but there is entertainment at night so I requested a r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

This hotel has a great location in downtown, in the middle of the shops and one block from the beach. You can find also some agencies around to book your day trips. The room is very spacious, more than enough for just one person. The pool area is cool.

You can use the common areas (pool, beach and restaurants) of the other hotels from the same brand (Sol Caribe Campo and sol Caribe flower) since you book in the morning at the breakfast area. They have free transportation available 4 times a day to take from one Sol Caribe hotel to another.

In high season most of the hotels in San Andres are fully booked. Expect delay for getting your room. Rooms are available from 3pm, but I could get mine only after 5pm because they do not have enough staff to clean all the rooms on time. Also I found some small cockroaches on my room, so a insect extermination was more than needed.

Don't expect great food just because it's an all inclusive hotel. They have available a table of salad, main dishes and deserts, but nothing out of the ordinary. Normal food, not tasty. They have 3 restaurants besides the main one (mexican, grilled and sea food), but you can only make reservations in the same day. For the main restaurant no reservation is needed. There are only 2 restaurants available each day, the main one and another one.

They have some night shows by the pool area with local music. If you enjoy the local music good for you. If you don't, get prepared for a late sleep if you get a room that faces the pool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We decided to check both properties, sol caribe campo (2 days) first, and then sol caribe centro (3 days), but regret the moment we changed hotels. Tip 1: Stay at sol caribe campo !!!

Upon arrival we had to wait for 4 hours for our room to be ready, chek out is at 1, check in at 3, but we did not get the room until 7 pm. Pool was available until 7 pm, so we were able to at least use it while we waited. Tip 2: be patient and pack a smaller bag with items you might need immediately while you wait for the room.

Enterntaiment staff was obnoxious and rude, calling out people fat, ugly, and teasing girls who came on the 15th birthday trip. Staff at sol caribe campo was much more nicer and profesional.

Room was old, smelly, and noisy overlooking at a coutyard. AC was old and did not work properly. Our remote control was broken, and it took 2 days to get it fixed. Overall impression of the staff was like they did not care, they think that because you are getting an all inclusive service things are for free, so why should you even complaint.

We made a reservation for dinner at the BBQ place, and we were never serviced. Waited there for more than 3 hours, until they closed and never got our food. After complaining at the front desk, they blamed the poor waiter telling us he had given our food to somebody else. At the end, they brough our food to the room, but completely ruined our evening. Tip 3: Stick to the buffet, at least you know you are getting something to eat.

Tour services were nice and kept us away from the hotel. We got 3 free tours with the package, johny cay-aquarium, tour of the island in train (bus that looks like a train), and the best cruise in afternoon to the aquarium to swim with the stingrays (AWESOME). This was the best of our package with sol caribe.

Positives, hotel is a few blocks from the public beach, so although it might be closer than sol caribe campo, you are trading off your views and privacy. Hotel is in the middle of the city center, so shops, banks, restaurants, and bars are a few feet away if you are looking for a more urban experience.

For me, next time I come to san andres, I will stay at sol caribe campo, and spend one afternoon at the city center.

One plus, taxi services were included from and to the airport, so that was one thing less to worry about. Hotel also allows you to keep your luggage there after you have checked out, so you can still enjoy the beach or pool. They have a shower, change room for you to get ready and head to the airport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Lee, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We have a great experience, the food, the room and the excellent service. Thanks to all the girls in the receptionist ofice. Thanks Monica you were very helpful and polite with us. The only thing that I can complaint is for their good service. All staff are very nice. We don't use the pool, but it is in fair condition. I will recommend the hotel, price is fair and ok. Again thank you Sol Caribe Centro and especially their staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sol Caribe San Andres? Share your experiences!