“Does Decameron know what the word guest mean?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Decameron San Luis

You added Decameron San Luis to your Saves list
Decameron San Luis
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 15 South Bay, San Andres Island, Colombia   |
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in San Andres Island
Lausanne
“Does Decameron know what the word guest mean?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were in San Andres for one week. The island is really beautifull with some incredible spots like Rocky cay, the acarium, la piscinita. You can find really good food for example at the restaurant La Regatta which serves incredibles lobster (try the caribe one it is trully fantastic) but avoid to go to a Decameron Hotels. Also if the staff, a part from the management, are really kind these hotels are disasters at least for european standards. You must always wait if you have a question (once we waited...45 minutes!!!!), food and buffet quality is really poor, rooms have certainly not been arranged since the 80's...terrible really.
Such a beautifull island with a such a poor service quality....but if you go there you will still love the islander, their music and the fact that their is still some freedom for tourists. I still recomend the destination but don't go to DECAMERON please....

I let you make your own opinion about it...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bolzano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the San Luis Hotel in San Andres , with my family and it wa great, close to the beach... it was just a place to relax. Even though, some very young people were complaining about the long distance to down town. This was not my case. I enjoy to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Well as the title says that was my biggest concern and it wasn't a problem. This isn't a highway!!
The food was great...the buffest always had amazing fresh fruit and juice for breakfast, lunch was plentiful and dinners were great because you can eat at any Decameron. Go for the Aquarium on the water...awesome!

If the "General" (old rasta looking Man) still works his office across the road on the beach sporting a whack of Canadian hockey gear he is trustworthy. His excursions will not be beat!!! Do yourself a favour and don't book through the hotel, book with a local, save money and help people out. Win/Win. If you don't book Johnny Cay with the “General” you are missing out...

The fridge in the room helps because you can keep water...tip you maid and you will never go dry! I always tip...and I am well-travelled...Columbians really appreciated it...wish I knew more Spanish!

If I only had one "complaint" … we were sat for dinner at an a la carte with another couple... no problem until we realize we had a major barrier - a common language. They were an awesome couple from Argentina and we made it work with napkin drawings, sign language and smiles...very cool experience none-the-less!

Again, don't expect the Ritz or Fairmont or even Holiday Express and you will be fine!

Cheers

Room Tip: Drinks are better when you have the decency to give a tip at one point or another!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This chain needs to learn a lot about hospitality business. First of all they will not answer your emails at all, even though I wanted to use the services also for the neighbor island of Providencia. I had to split my stay at this location and I added an extra night, well penalized 25usd for doing this. Arrived at his hotel tired from an overnight in Panama, from Houston you will not get there the same day. Had to wait forever to get a room. Never in my life I had to wait so long to get a room because their policy is between three and five o clock. Then they expect for you to go to a meeting and get your keys. I had read everything about San Andres so I demanded my keys. Maria Fernanda the manager tried to accommodate my husband and I, I think she is a great asset for this chain. That was the beginning of a night mare. We changed rooms three times because the a/c did not work properly. I wanted an ocean view room I got it the first time and we had to move within hours because of the a/c. Not a good experience. Then I went to Providencia and came back to same hotel for two more nights, same thing wait for room bla bla bla I arrived around five thirty pm from Providencia so the wait wasn't that bad. Prior to getting our room my husband wanted to see it and we were given another room, no balcony facing the ac units of another building. I paid over 200usd a night for this hotel and guess who gets the best rooms well Colombians they pay peanuts for this packages so they can care less about international guest. The food pretty mediocre for an all inclusive hotel that supposedly is on the best beach of San Andres, really what beach there is no beach and yes buy your water shoes other wise you will get bloody feet. Its like all rock barely any sand. I did visit the other hotels Delfines and Aquarium everything looked much better than San Luis. I choose this hotel for the location but what a big mistake. If I ever go back to San Andres is only to get my flight to Providencia is the only way you can get there. I am a seasoned traveler and this has been the worst experience with an all inclusive hotel. Will never use Decameron in my life!

Room Tip: Do your self a favor this skip this hotel at all means, you will expend less in a downtown location...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Saltillo, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Service attitude from Staff and restaurant, team appeared angry or tired, food all included, not necesarly attractive, rooms average old, remote controls did not work, beach beautiful view but really no place to swim a lot of rock. Sense that anything would be charged at all moment.
Transportation worst experience ever, although Hotel is not responsable of external taxi's they permit to service their hotel, and extraordinary abuse of taxi drivers, they would charge of to 50% higher than base fee, with the argument that nobody else can give you the service so you pay.

In general, recommend to consider other options to visit prior San Andres and De Cameron San Luis Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Good personel,always happy to help you,clean room,good food.
I would say 7/10.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the San Luis. We booked a two week vacation from Feb.27th until March 12th. The rooms were very basic, but clean. Food was delicious, the coffee was to die for. The resort was extremely clean, they wear mask and gloves to handle the food, I woke up at one in the morning and peeked outside and found employees scrubbing the buffet. The internet worked well and it was cheap, like 9$ us for two hours, the excursions were affordable, between 30 -40$ per person. We went to johnny Caye and aquario. Worth every penny. Absolutely beautiful. Took the tour around the island and went swimming with the rays which was worth the trip. We visited all of the hotels except the Maryland, Each hotel has their perks, food at dinner was excellent in all of them. We never had a problem with getting a reservation to the restaurant we wanted. 12$ an hour to rent a golf cart, cheap and worth it. We stop at the natural pool on West point and snorkeled with beautiful fish. Breathtaking views. The local bus is an economical way to get around from one resort to another. We ate at the Gourmet restaurant just in front of the BAracuda fish monument. It was a beautiful restaurant but the food and service was better at the resort. I heard the langouste was delicious and that was the place to go to. The beaches in front of the hotel was not very wide but still very nice. Invest in those water shoes. You can purchase them anywhere for approximately 6-7$ u.s. Cheaper than in Canada. The water color is breathtaking. Really, gorgeous. The people were extremely nice, but get sometimes annoying when they constantly ask you to bring them over chicken, drinks etc. One advice for you, book your seats in advance, the airport is small and only have two or three agents working to serve the whole plane. Not many people tip. I think I saw three people tip in my entire trip do so. Plenty of perfume shops and the perfume is cheap. I bought Gucci Envy Me for 68$ u.s. For the 100 ml. 120 $ for it at Sephoras. The one thing that bothered me was the amount of garbage there was on the island. Really too bad because the island is beautiful. The beaches were breathtaking, but you must have water shoes. The snorkeling was great at the Aquario. Anyway, for the price we paid, it was worth it and I would go back in a heartbeat if the price was good. Hey, 1600$ for a two week vacation over march break......really if people complain. The color of the water is spectacular. I loved that the we could go and use the facilities at the other resorts. The safe in the room was 21$ u.s. A week. For the safe in the room. The destination rep was very nice and very helpful. I was afraid it was a party destination, especially that this resort was cheap, but it was not. In the first section of the resort, there is more action going around, but it was not a bunch of drunks and teenagers going wild. The beds were comfortable, anyway, I hope the is review helps...I just threw a bunch of info of what I remember.

Room Tip: The room in front of the buffet was simple but clean. Quieter than the other sections. However, th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Decameron San Luis? Share your experiences!