“Wonderful spot run by wonderful people!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Playa Tranquilo to your Saves list
Playa Tranquilo
Avenida Circunvalar Km 8 Via El Cove, San Andres Island, Colombia   |
New York City, New York
“Wonderful spot run by wonderful people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

My friend and I had an incredible stay at Playa Tranquilo. The property is stunning and the people running the hotel couldn't be more welcoming or accommodating. The food was delish and our room was comfortable and thoughtfully decorated. The sea is a stones throw from the hotel, and the pool is lovely. Scuba dive! Snorkel! Rent a motorbike! San Andres is such a hidden gem- I can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I just got back from spending 5 days at Playa Tranquilo for my honeymoon. I booked our stay based on reviews and the pictures I had found here and they were 100% accurate. As soon as I sent my email booking, within 5 minutes I received a phone call from Alex, one of the owners, not only informing me that they had a room available but with an honest description of the hotel and what we could expect from our stay. The hotel is about 20 minutes in either direction to the city center or San Luis and the main beaches of the island. The property is actually an apartment and a house on picturesque, serene property with a beautiful pool and a zen vibe all around, complete with buddha statues. It is just off the main coastal "highway" which means it is just a few steps to to the crystal clear ocean water. No beach here, just a ladder to get in to the ocean but we were so thankful for that because it meant that we felt like we were in our own private ocean every day. Also, it is on the sunset side of the island and one night when we brought a bottle of champagne to sit and watch the sunset, Angel, one of the staff memeber came down shortly after with two lawn chairs for us to enjoy the time more comfortably. You definitely need your own transportation if you stay here, as taxis can get expensive and all things to do on the island, including all restaurants are a drive's distance away. But renting a golf cart or scooter are very easy and inexpensive. We rented a scooter and it absolutely added to the enjoyment of our trip! The island itself and the ocean are so breathtakingly beautiful that we spent a lot of time just riding around taking it all in. The staff here are amazing, especially Maria the cook who every day makes a delicious breakfast and fresh juices for you to enjoy throughout the day. She also, for a very small price will cook lunch and dinner for you (around your schedule) and I highly recommend you take her up on this as she is an amazing cook!! All in all, we really could not say enough good things about our honeymoon and Playa Tranquilo. If you are looking for your typical all-inclusive resort with crowded beaches, swim up bars and nightclubs this is absolutely not for you. My husband and I had always wanted to go to San Andres but thought that the only hotel options were all-inclusives and we were so happy to find Playa Tranquilo and really have the honeymoon of our dreams! We can not wait to come back for solo 2nd and 22nd honeymoons and also with a group of friends/family and renting the whole place!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Playa Tranquilo is the ideal place to escape to for some quality rest and relaxation. The property is intimte and absolutely beautiful, the accommodations are comfortable and well appointed and the staff is incredibly friendly, attentive and eager to please. One special note, the on-site chef is a real treat and the food was fantastic. I will defintely be returning to Playa Tranquilo and I cannot wait for my next trip. It truly is a lovely and delightful place to spend the perfect relaxation filled holiday and if you are reading this review I think you should pack a good book or two and make your reservation now!! Happy Travels!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
londres
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I will not recommend this place to anyone. It is not a hotel it is a house and do not have any good service. No beach just a small swiming pool.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
senorusted, Owner at Playa Tranquilo, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Dear Valued Trip Advisor User,

We at Playa Tranquilo understand that Trip Advisor is a completely subjective forum. This negative posting has been brought to our attention by other clients that found it to be factually misleading. This guest is entitled their opinion, but we would like to clarify a few of the statements made. Per our listing on Trip Advisor, we are classified as a Bed & Breakfast, not a Hotel as this posting states. We are not simply one House that is for rent. The property is 3 acres large, with a total of three structures on it. The House is 3 bedrooms/3 bathrooms, and though can be rented out by itself during peak periods, is normally occupied with separate guests in their private quarters, as a Bed & Breakfast. The Apartment is a separate structure on the property, has 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms, and is used in the same way that the House is. Lastly is the Boutique Hotel/Bed & Breakfast (currently under a complete renovation), which is 5 individual guest rooms. Additionally, feel free to view our website where it clearly states where we are located and the fact that there is no sandy beach, but still, direct access to the Caribbean Sea. We are a small business that caters to a different type of traveler. A traveler that is not looking to stay at a major compound/corporate Hotel/Resort. We are very open about this in all of our literature and correspondences. If any reader is looking for a Hotel like that, we will be happy to recommend several options on the island and we are further happy to admit that we are not that experience. However, if you are looking for a unique, small and friendly Bed & Breakfast experience, then please mention this article and we will be happy to offer you a discount and/or free upgrade (depending on availability).

Many thanks for your time and we look forward to your visit.
Playa Tranquilo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

I LOVE this place! I am not into "big resorts" and have traveled widely. I had been looking for a place that was secluded from the hustle of tourists, but didn't want to feel like I was on a deserted island. Playa Tranquilo felt like a home away from home and really the best of BOTH worlds. The staff were incredibly attentive to my needs and eager to please. I didn’t have to worry about anything. The meals were delicious and the chef was more than happy to accommodate my dietary restrictions. The unbeatable privacy and natural beauty is only enhanced by the constant sounds of the breaking waves/peaceful tranquility along with gorgeous views. Crystal clear waters, excellent sunbathing, snorkeling and diving opportunities-I ran out of time to do all that I wanted. The décor was impeccable: simple and classy with a modern zen touch. Outstanding taste both in the choice of locations and in actual layouts of the residences. Playa Tranquilo is exactly that: a comfortable place to relax and rejuvenate. I would recommend this place to my friends and plan on returning soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

The best vacation of my life! From the beauty of the Island to the tranquility of the accommodations. Staff very attentive, house is extremely comfortable and the pool was refreshing. Can't wait to get back!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

This was my first ever trip with my wife to San Andres. I'm American (latin) and my wife is Colombian so we are well versed in Spanish. With that said, I wanted to really wanted to investigate on travel advisor what would best the best place to stay and travel advisor did NOT disappoint!

I read so many reviews about the Decameron / "All inclusive" places and I just did not want to feel like a number that was just checking in! In addition, the reviews were correct in regards to staying close to the "scene" and with the street vendors / time sharer vendors etc bothering you. I definitely did NOT want this experience.

I knew I made the right choice in selecting Playa Trannquilo (www.playatranquilo.com) because within 20 minutes of me sending them an email it was returned in perfect English! WOW!

Ghatta (Owner/ Partner) called me and we had a very nice conversation. She is American. Ghatta really knows how to run a business! She was super attentive in regards to answering all of our questions. So we felt 100% comfortable and booked a 3 night 4 day stay.

As promised her manager Moisses was awaiting us at the airport with a sign (Playa Tranquilo). His English is perfect since he used to live in Miami. He is also a dive instructor on the island!

We arrived at the Hotel and Maria (Personal Maid / Cook) was awaiting our arrival with Coconut drinks in hand as Moisses was helping us with making plans. He even made a reservation for us at La Regatta (#1 Restaurant ). Since the place has a full kitchen, he asked if we wanted to give him a list of grocery items we needed. He obliged and when we arrived back the items were their awaiting us in the fridge! Awesome!

Moisses hooked us up with the BEST driver EVER. His name is Nader. He is a native of San Andres, very educated, speaks the native language (creole), spanish and perfect english! Nader was great! He was extremely punctual, helpful, informative and seemed to know everyone on the island! We felt so comfortable with him that we used him exclusively! he made such a great impression on us that we invited him and his wife to lunch before on our last day.

Playa Tranquilo is just that! VERY relaxed atmosphere! Very beautiful modern decor! We had our own personal pool, maid, taxi driver with Moisses available by cell if we needed him. What we found that is most important is Playa Tranquilo is away from all the hustle tourist "Red Zone"! After hanging out at the beach, tours, crowded restaurants the last thing we wanted to do is come home to a "hotel" like place with the sounds of doors slamming, street sales people outside the hotel door etc. Playa Tranquilo was completely the opposite! We felt like we were coming back to our personal home with silence and tranquility! We love the fun of the vacation but it was FANTASTIC to just have a place to come back and truly relax!

Maria (Maid/ cook) would have our breakfast ready in the morning and she set it up on the table pool side! She was FANTASTIC!

In conclusion: If your looking for a place that advertises "All Inclusive" ie the Decameron then good luck with having success! If your wanting a fantastic get away with a place to come back to at night or just hang out with no stress then Playa Tranquilo is the PLACE!!! We WILL DEFINITELY be back SOON! They have set the customer service bar very high and I will NOT take any chances by staying anywhere else than Playa Tranquilo!

Thanks again for a wonderful and memorable stay!
Nicholas

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Tranquilo? Share your experiences!