“An amazing villa, unfortunately not the service you expect” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa Harb

You added Hotel Casa Harb to your Saves list
Hotel Casa Harb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 11 No. 10-83- La Rocosa, San Andres Island, Colombia   |
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in San Andres Island
Buzios, RJ
“An amazing villa, unfortunately not the service you expect”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Casa Harb is exactly as beautiful as more or less everyone says here. It's really amazing. Great taste in decor and style is not that rare but in Casa Harb it's not just extremely beautiful everything also has that great "finish" when it comes to decoration and construction that many places don't have. We are hotel owners ourselves (we are from Sweden but live in Búzios, Brasil) so we have an eye for details. We are very impressed by the way things looks at Casa Harb.

The reason why we chose to stay in Casa Harb was because we loved the pictures from the first look. A small place, just like ours, and we read that the owner seems to be present very often, which is one of the keys to a warm, personal and great service. Unfortunately we did not received that and the owner was never present (which we can understand, but probably the service is better when he is there). The welcoming was not very friendly, not rude, but a smile and "how was your trip/very welcome etc" could be nice when you pay USD 300/night. Also we think that someone should show the guest the room not just open the door and give you the key. We got the opportunity to choose between two different rooms which was very kind.

The breakfast was great and we can't complain about the lunch either, nothing special, but good. The pool area was very nice. The bougainville surrounding the whole hotel is so beautiful. The only down side with the pool area is that the road in between the hotel and the beautiful ocean is unfortunately very loud (lot's of motor bikes and trucks), not at all to blame the hotel for and it's not a part of our valuation, just a note. Also the surroundings of the hotel is neither very beautiful, but that aswell is not Casa Harb's fault and not a part of our valuation.

What is part of our valuation is that Casa Harb could not provide the kind of service that you expect in a place like this. You should not have to search for someone by knocking on the kitchen door. We are not at all looking for someone standing ready with white shirt and one hand behind the back waiting to provide instant service, absolutely not, but you do expect a small bell or a note saying "if we're not here, please knock the kithen door". Also a place like this should answer your e-mails and requests. You should not have to send at least two e-mails in every matter to receive a confirmation. Also the small things like complimentary water a welcome drink and were missing. In a regular big hotel where you pay less, these things are not important, but in a hotel like this it really is.

To make a summary. The hotel is extremely beautiful, comfortable and stylish with a rare "finish" when it comes to interior, when it comes to service, which is the second 50% of a hotel visit, the final touch was unfortunately missing in our visit (maybe not always, but these days it was missing). We like to point out that no one has been rude and the employees was trying in spanish and we tried to communicate in portonhol (portuguese/spanish) since the people that received us did not speak english, and we managed quite good. This place could be a 5/5 if they just polish the service part.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went to casa Harb for my honeymoon and we've coulnt find a better place. Its the most relaxing place ever in a wonderful Island, owned and manage by a world traveler who makes You feel in such many places at once!! Delish food with asiatic influence served very Well. Very nice staff. Definitely an experience everyone should have!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The rooms were beautiful, the people were friendly and the service was phenominal. The decor of the hotel is also incredible with furniture from all over the world. I really enjoyed my stay here, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed March 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Once again I was enjoying the marvelous experience of Casa Harb in San Andres Island, in the middle of Caribbean. You don't need anything else, just arrived to this beautiful hotel and enjoy their wonderful location in front of the sea with the sunset from our room's balcony. The breakfast is delicious and the service so warm. Carmen, the waiter is wonderful and she treated us as kings, as per the complete staff. The restaurant menu is amazingly good, a wonderful blend of asian and caraibic food, completed with delicious tropical fruit juices and cocktails. One special detail, the furniture and decorative goods, the wash rooms and the entire house make you feel in a tale of Thousand and One Nights.

Room Tip: Each room has a different ambient and each of them are terrific. If you are in a group don't mis...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hong kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Casa Harb- beautiful hotel, but service can be improved

First the good.....
I came to San Andres to check out the diving (25 hammerhead sharks @ my 1st dive w/Blue Life Divers! ) & checked out the choices of hotels before deciding on Casa Harb based on room quality, a recommendation by Travel & Leisure + Forbes magazine & the reviews in Tripadvisor.

The hotel in terms of looks is definitely a 5/5, it is chicly decorated with artwork throughout, teak Southeast Asian furniture, & can easily feature in a home decor magazine. I had room S with a balcony & a sun lounger facing the gorgeous turquoise water & coconut trees, minus the electrical wires & the road running in between, the view was postcard perfect.

The room & common area were stylish & clean, decorated much like villas in Bali. My bathroom was huge & looked like a mini spa. On my 1st day here the owner Jak Harb came around to greet the guests, he has traveled over 30 years to Asia & brought back lots of artwork & furniture to decorate Casa Harb, a lovingly restored family property.

Location was only about 5-10 min from town (Usd5 cab ride only). The hotel was a serene, soothing & far more elegant hideout vs the other larger tourist hotels. Add to this the hotel had ok to decent food, free wifi, a cute pool, sweet charming & friendly staff ( though they do need more training ie food was served incredibly salty, cold appetizer & hot main course were served together, staff did not knock on door before entering the room etc. )

But here're my gripes
1/ They really ignore emails & calls. 1st of all they never responded to my initial request for a reservation made on their website. I then booked via venere.com
A month ago I wrote the hotel to arrange for airport transport & was asked whether I have any booking, after sending my venere confirmation & 2 emails over a 10 day period, I finally got an email to confirm the car transfer. Then 1 week before the trip I had to change to a later flight, emailed them in Spanish w/the new pickup time, again no response. I then asked the Mandarin Oriental concierge in Paris (a fluent Spanish speaker ) to call re: the new pickup time, he spoke to Feliza Fernandes & confirmed the airport pickup.

So imagine my irritation after flying HongKong to Paris to Bogota arriving San Andres at 1 A.M.; No one @ the airport! Called the hotel, guy on phone was clueless & was not expecting me, he told me to find a cab on my own.

2/ safety
Was annoyed as I travelled from
HK as a non Spanish speaking single female to Colombia with a 1:00 AM arrival for the 1st time in my life, I asked for the car transfer repeatedly for my safety /sanity & somehow Casa Harb could not satisfy this small/easy request.

Anyway, the cab driver I ended up with had no idea where Casa Harb was (though I had the address & we called the hotel together) plus he charged me 2x the usual fare. With only 5 rooms you'd think Casa Harb could have handled this better?

If you take the advise of a previous TP reviewer, ie treat this as staying at someone's house (with an absentee host & etc) then you'd be fine in terms of expectations.

In sum, this is a perfectly pretty boutique hotel, just service related training please! ( would have rated this place 5/5 otherwise )

Room Tip: There is no spa or fitness ctr. Room S faces the water/sea
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We are a young couple that travels quite extensively and were very much looking forward to a stay in that seemingly nice boutique hotel. We unfortunately encountered our most terrible hotel experience on that else idyllic island. Staff performance was poorest, location is also a large drag as it's far away from everything, without being able to access the beach as it's only rocks, all that without speaking about the astronomical cost for what got provided. Would avoid at all cost.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

As were arriving at Cass Harb, I felt my dissapointmen increase since we were driving away from the beautiful beaches of San Andres. After my day in the island i could not wait to get back to this well maintain, exclusive and seclude little palacio. The staff is superb and service oriented, and they will do everything they can to ensure that you enjoy the stay with them ( you better polish off your Spanish since English is very little spoken by the staff,not only in this hotel but in the island, unless of course you are a native that speak some kind of broken English) we were lucky to find a fantastic taxy driver that drove us around the island,beside being hard worker and honest, he used to be a tour operator so he knows the island in and out, if you are ever in Dan Andres please give him a call his name is Edgar 316 7032686 I 311 3392774

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel Casa Harb? Share your experiences!