“Horrible diving experience” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Amsterdam, Netherlands
“Horrible diving experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The hotel is not a good value. The attached dive center is an absolute nightmare. I have been diving 5 times with them and have witnessed so many unsafe situations. I was close to death myself. Whatever you do, don't risk your life with these jokers. Btw: this is not a PADI certified center (even though they use PADI logo's all over). Later I found out that the swiss owner of the hotel and dive shop is seriously ill and the place is detoriorating rapidly since.

During my last dive the mouthpeace came off of the regulator just after I emptied my lungs. Since I had no air and didn't know what happened, I had no time to waste and I had to make an emergency ascend. The divemaster later joined and he did not have a signalling device to attract the captain. This situation could easily have been fatal and the divemaster was unprepared for any emergency. He then suggested me to dive again which is not recommended so soon after an unsafe ascend.

Other dangerous situations I have witnessed: Leaking BCD (barely able to stay afloat), most meters are not functioning (clearly incorrect reading, or flooded), far too many weights in BCD instead of belt, safety stops are not done correctly accoording to dive computer, tank falling out of strap just after diving, leaking alternate bcd, given tanks half full of air. And so on.