“steph's stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Asbury Park
Farmingdale
“steph's stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Upon arrival, i was greeted by friendly staff. the front desk personnel were very accommodating. The room, clean and comfortable bed and not a far walk from the elevator. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Johnny C, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind works, we are working hard to ensure that all our guests have a great experience.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Bethel Springs, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Pros: Location is great. There are about 50 off street parking spaces. The staff is accomodating and helpful. The ballrooms are large and clean.

Cons: The rooms have many issues, including: couch that you sink into and can't get out of, heating and cooling systems that don't work well or together, few and overloaded plugs and outlets, bathroom sink that doesn't drain and will splash over you, rooms and hallways are dimly lit and dark.

I don't know what they are trying to accomplish with this hotel, but it does NOT work. The hotel is old and tired looking and needs more than an updated bathroom to be worth the price.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are quieter. Arrive early for the few parking spot on the grounds othe...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your feedback. I apologize for these inconveniences you had during your stay, but can tell you that we have programs in place to rectify some of them.

We are currently looking at our lighting and in the process of changing our current light bulbs with LED, which are not only better for the environment, but provide a better light. I am working with our Executive Housekeeper to better manage the wiring in the rooms, so that we can free up more outlets for our guests, and in some cases are working to add outlets. As to the temperature control in the room, we have recent gone in and installed updated, digital controls, I will have our housekeeping team test them ensure that they are all programmed correctly.

Thank you again, your comments such as these is a big help as we continue to move forward to improve our property and ensure our guests a great experience.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Went hear almost year ago wasn't happy contact the hotel got a free night to make up for our first visit. This time the front desk was nice and help us with even upgrade the room to a suite for free too. The room was ok I don't think I would pay 499 for the room needs a little more tcl and wind noise and brightness in am makes hard to sleep in. But for a date night with a few drinks downstairs is perfect . Will return .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so glad that you enjoyed your second stay at our hotel. Over the last few months we have worked hard to improver our service, the cleanliness of our hotel, and the overall maintenance of the property. We still have some work to do, but it's nice to know that we are definitely making some headway and it's getting noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is great because it's in waking distance to the boardwalk and beach. In addition, it's a gorgeous hotel with nice rooms and interior decorating. However, we did not have the best experience here. The front desk was rude (however the valet staff was amazing and nice). In addition, the small pool in the back with the bar was where we wanted to spend most of our time. The day we planned on vegging out there for hours there was a small something in the pool and they made everyone get out and they shocked the pool interrupting everyone and burning our eyes and nose with the chemical smell. I really don't think that was necessary and it definitely put a damper on our experience. Not the best hotel experience I've had at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica, thank you for your comments concerning our hotel and your experience. Allow to jump right in and apologize for the rudeness, that is something that is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. I can also share, that since your stay in the summer and my joining the property 3 months ago, we have made many improvements as to the service our guests receive, including replacing some of the staff and re-training the existing team members.

As to the pool, although I can't be sure what was actually in the pool; I can tell you that, under certain circumstances the steps you are describing are required by the board of health to ensure that our guests are safe from anything that might harm them or make them sick. I will confer with our chief engineer as to the chemicals and the length of time that the pool was closed, so that in the future the burning reaction you had does not happen again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Berkeley Oceanfront soon, so that you have the opportunity to experience our hotel in a better light.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed for business in November, which is off season, so it wasn't busy. The rooms were clean and comfortable and service was friendly. The feeling throughout the property was a slightly odd fusion of outdated decor and modern conveniences, like a renovation that was never quite fully finished. Starting with the door to the room, there was a slot for a keycard, but when my keycard didn't work, I was given an old-school metal key for the deadbolt instead. Inside the room, a modern digital thermostat sat next to an old-fashioned thermostat with the knobs taken off so I'd know to use the newer one. The flat screen TV and iPod dock alarm clock were nice touches, and the room was spacious, but the decor felt a few decades old (not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your taste for zebra-print carpenting). Bathroom and amenities were nice, but water took a long time to heat up and sink did not always drain properly. Rates were very reasonable in the off season, but they nickel and dime a bit on other things. It was $20 per night to park in a pretty empty lot, $25 for a mini-fridge in the room. Location is good, right across from the boardwalk and convention center. I would consider staying again if I were in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on the hotel. As the hotel manager I take each persons feedback very seriously and use it to improve our hotel.

As to the décor, you are right, we have a lot of contemporary finishes coupled with some of the older elements of the property. Since the hotel was built in 1925, we have tried to leave as many of those elements around the property as possible. From the painted brick columns in the lobby , the stone stair case leading to our mezzanine level and ballrooms, to the large windows and moldings in our event space. Even in our guest rooms we wanted to reflect both the charm of the turn of the century design with Asbury's eclectic sense of style.
As to the water temperature, we are in the process of re-building one of our boilers to assist with the added demands that we have seen over the last few years. Once completed we trust that many of the issues with temperature will go away.
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel itself has a beautiful historic feel and it fits AsburyParks demeanor perfectly. The Lounge was lively and wonderful and even the guest rooms were alright. Modern decor, you could tell they're trying to do their best with the old building. The service however, absolutely horrible. First let me say I have been the banquet manager, front desk manager, and housekeeping manager of the Crowne Plaza outside Boston. It is huge convention and meeting property, so I am more than used to dealing with accommodating guests of events and rearranging preblocks. We were there to attend a wedding held at a separate location on what appeared to be a busy weekend. We were given the wrong type of room, so I had gone down to e Front Desk to see if it were possible to change my room type. Jamila was the agent who responded. I got an immediate attitude that I was upgraded by a manager and I should be grateful because they didn't have to do that. She told me it would be inconvenient for her to move my room, even though that's her job. She then proceeded to talk negatively about me right in front of me and other guests to her SUPERVISOR. Who didn't reprimand her in the slightest. It's awful to be a guest of a hotel, and be made to feel like you can't ask for anything. I was discouraged to address any staff member the rest of my stay. Jamila was so rude with both words and tone of voice that I just wanted to smack her. Had one of my staff treated a GUEST that way, I would've fired them on the spot. My mind was blown, and I will never return. I've also told everyone I know in the industry about this experience and all have had the same response. RIDICULOUS! And to top it all of there was a huge bloodstain on my pillow.

Room Tip: Go for Oceanview because AsburyParks park is bleak. But don't try asking for a room type that...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Johnny C, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Cara, thank you very much for your feedback. As a fellow hotelier, I am sure you agree that negative feedback, as much as it is difficult to hear, is necessary to any operation that is striving to improve itself. As the new Hotel Manager for The Berkeley, I have been tasked with the job of identifying and fixing any issue, large or small, with our service. I feel that we have a great old hotel, with a lot of charm and even more potential, it's my goal to make sure that we realize 100% of our potential.

I can assure you that, that sort of behavior is not unacceptable and I have already spoken to all parties involved and they clearly understand.

Thank you again for your feedback, I truly hope that I have the chance to welcome you back to The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berks County, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Berkeley is close to all attractions in Asbury Park, and right across the street from the boardwalk/beach. It's a fairly snazzy place with a classy bar and restaurant on the first floor, so this place is pricey, especially in season. Rooms are comfortable and modern, though the hallways and doors seem maybe like leftovers from some less-swanky past incarnation of the building. Parking is an issue. If you're staying for a while, try to reserve a spot in their small parking lot. Otherwise, recognize that street parking is more expensive the closer you get to the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are going to be more expensive. Maybe if you request a room near the parking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!