“Not Happy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Asbury Park
West New York, New Jersey
“Not Happy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here a few weeks ago for a wedding. The hotel was nice, room was clean and updated but when I went to take a shower in the morning, the water dripped out if the shower head and it was freezing. I had to show up to a wedding brunch unshowered. Other guests at the wedding had the same problem. As I was checking out, I told the front desk and they said "sorry" THATS IT. I think being able to shower is an important feature in a hotel room. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Johnny C, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Michele, thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay at The Berkeley Oceanfront. I am terribly sorry about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us, and am disappointed about the lack of urgency that our staff showed in getting it rectified. I can tell you that the water pressure is an issue that we are well aware of, and are working to come up with a solution. As the new Manager for the hotel and someone with a sincere love of Asbury Park, it's my responsibility to seek out and correct our deficiencies and I can promise you, as time goes on, you will notice a significant difference in how our property operates. Should you have any further questions or would like to share any more information with me, please don't hesitate to reach out, my email is jcaruso@berkeleyhotelnj.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night a few weeks ago. The building itself is old, but it is well kept. Hotel staff was very pleasant. The room we had was a corner room. It was very spacious and clean. Everything worked properly, we had no complaints. We did have to ask for extra pillows and a blanket. I loved the large windows,we had great views of the ocean and boardwalk.

The location of this hotel is perfect because it's right next to the boardwalk. It's great for anyone who wants to spend the day on the beach and relax at night. There are great places to eat and drink nearby, you can literally stumble to your room after a night of drinking.. : )

My only complaint was that they charged $20 for parking and no valet.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words about our property. As the new GM, I am working hard and identifying areas that we do well in and areas that need improvement. Obviously, in your eyes we hit our mark. As for the parking, unfortunatley it is something that is a challenge throughout the city. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, but in the meantime if you have any questions or if there is anything else I help you with please do not hesitate to reach out to me at jcaruso@berkeleyhotelnj.com
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had my wedding here and had a number of issues with this place. The service and staff was completely awful. First of all I went through a number of managers during the course of my wedding planning, they obvisouly couldn't hold onto their staff and now I see why. I booked my wedding ceremoney to start at 2:30 pm, found out after the invitations that check in time at the hotel was not until 3. I should have been told this at the time I was booking so I could rearrange. I didn't find this out until a few weeks before the wedding and they were not willing to guarantee my overnight guests early check in. Found out from the caterer 1 week before my wedding that they do not have a parking lot. Called for valet parking and it was an additional $1200. I was expected to have my guests park at street meters. I should have been informed about this when I told them I wasn't planning on valet, instead they said nothing. I thought they could just park in the parking lot. I spoke to the coprorate office and they basically didn't care. In the end they got me the valet for $500, but I think they should have covered it as it was there mistake. They were comp'ing my overnight guests for the $20 parking they charged, but when they arrived they refused to park the car because they don't have valet service on Monday, so there would be no-one there to retrieve the cars when we left on Monday. What were you comp'ing than, you didn't valet the car? They could not tell me what time my bridal ready suite would be available, how do you plan hair and make-up for your bridal paty when the hotel cannot tell you when you can get in the room? Found out during my cocktail hour that there was another section of the bridal ready suite with places to hang dresses, mirrors, a refrigerator, etc. We had no idea, as no one came to check on us and was later told, oh you didn't know?.. How would I? I had my dress hanging from a fire sprinkler. I also found out after my invitations went out that they only guarantee the wedding rate up until 3 weeks prior to the wedding ( I should have known that so I could have included it on my invitation). I had asked for minor things throughout the planning process and they were very uncooperative. I got to this hotel the morning of my wedding and carried my wedding dress, accessories, overnight bag, food, and everything else I needed into the hotel not one person asked if they could help me. They were rude at the front desk to me and my guests. They acted as if this was there first Sunday wedding ever, or maybe I should rephrase that first wedding ever. My wedding turned out to be a magical day, despite all of the stress this hotel put me through. I do not recommend this hotel/venue for anything. They were uncooperative, uninformed, and plain rude. They treated me as if they were doing me a fvaor and it was far from a favor I paid a lot of money to this venue.

Room Tip: None of the rooms had hot water. No Wi-Fi
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa, thank you for taking the time to provide us with some much needed feedback. I am sincerely sorry for the additional stress that we added to, what is supposed to be, the most amazing day of your life. Although we try and provide as much information as possible during the sellilng process and again via the contract we provide our guests, I definitely see where I might need to look at both sides of the coin and firm up our process and as the new GM it's my goal to leave no stone unturned as I look over our entire operation. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further, if you are up to it, feel free to reach out to me via email, at jcaruso@berkeleyhotelnj.com
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

To be honest, I was nervous to stay here because of all the negative reviews. We attended a wedding nearby, and the bride and groom chose the Berkeley as the hotel for their guests. Check-in was super-quick and a breeze. We were updated to a bigger room, free of charge without asking. There is ample parking, and every staff member we came into contact with was very friendly. The hotel itself is an old building- the rooms are on the smaller size, and some of the decor seems a little dated, but there's nothing wrong with the place. I would definitely consider staying again.

Room Tip: There is plenty of nearby street parking, and the parking provided by the hotel is in an open lot ac...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend for my girlfriends birthday. Very nice hotel,the room we had was on the 4 th floor and was surprisingly big. Large, spacious room with very big windows overlooking the boardwalk with a nice ocean view.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in Asbury Park. Hotel is literally steps from the boardwalk as well restaurants/ nightlife.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I were recently married in Asbury Park, and decided to block rooms at the Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel for our guests because it was very convenient for our venue. The bridal party also got ready at the hotel. In total, our friends and families reserved over 20 rooms, and no one had anything good to say about their experience. The hotel seems understaffed and you can expect to wait 30 minutes for a bellhop to help with your luggage on a weekend. Although the lobby is nice, the other areas of the hotel are a little beat up and not consistently clean. There were some problems with very basic security and amenities - my bathtub jets didn't work, and my mother's door didn't lock. The most disappointing part of the stay happened during the early afternoon, when the bridal party was getting dressed for the wedding. We called room service three times over 3 and a half hours to request champagne flutes, and made a face-to-face request for the same from the front desk when we checked in. The flutes never arrived, and we were additionally told that hotel "doesn't do that" when we asked them to bring a pitcher of water with the flutes. When I mentioned it to the front desk clerk (who did not bother to ask how my stay was) while checking out the next day, she only shrugged.

There were two pluses that bumped the hotel up from one star to two: (1) the common spaces of this hotel are really beautiful, and my husband and I had lovely portraits taken there; and (2) the valet parking service is friendly and efficient (although it seems a bit overpriced, at $20 per car).

Despite those small positives, this place provided really poor value. We paid over $400 for a suite, and the subpar ambiance and service simply do not justify that price tag. I am embarrassed that I recommended this place to our friends and family who traveled from far away to be with us. Please do not make the same mistake with your wedding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Liz, thank you so much for taking the time to provide some feedback about your stay with us. As the new GM for the property, I have been tasked with identifying and filling in all the gaps. We are moving quickley in accomplishing this task and hope that we haven't fallen out of your good graces as of yet. We would love to welcome you back sometime soon, so you can see the true potential in The Berkeley. If you have any questions or if there is anything that I can do to assist you dont hesitate to reach out to me at jcaruso@berkeleyhotelnj.com
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

we just spent a three day weekend at the Berkeley. we have stayed there many times over the last 8 years and each time it gets a little better at correcting the myriad of problems that have existed there
But this time the stay began with a room filled with small flying bugs and got worse from there (they did spray and kill most of the bugs. how about spraying before I get in the room). we complained we had no hot water. the manager insisted , twice, to see it for themselves. we discovered if you let the water run for 30 minutes you can get hot water. we told them this is not satisfactory and they insisted the water was fine.
we were with a group that went to the hotel's restaurant on Saturday night. six tables of customers left 90 minutes after ordering without being served. they said they couldn't accommodate the diners and the bar crowd.
Lastly the 3 elevators were almost never all in service at the same time. this is an old problem at this hotel. there were times people had to wait 10-15 minutes for an elevator ( one was repaired during the weekend, one was not although someone worked on it ) . we love Asbury Park but we will never stay at the Berkely again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!