“WONDERFUL STAY!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Asbury Park
South Jersey
“WONDERFUL STAY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

We had a wonderful time at the Empress. We checked in Saturday for a one night stay (July 30)-the room was clean and of a good size. The entire hotel was mainly gay, although I'm sure straight foks would have had a good time. (Apparently, from what I heard during the week it's mostly straight but the gays sort of take it over on the weekends). It was a very diverse mix, which is a surpising pleasure these days-blacks, whites, gay men and lesbians-and everyone was friendly and just having a real good time. The pool area was a blast-well maintained and even a disco ball suspended over the pool! The disco-Paradise-was a blast. The entire experience reminded me of partying 20 years ago...I never realized one could have so much good clean fun! The staff were all professional and efficient. My only criticism-poolside rooms would be noisy all night as the disco spills out to the pool area (lots of fun though-another bar and a grill for the munchies!) and even though we had oceanside rooms and the noise from the disco was minimal, folks were loud in the hallways into the early morning hours (til like 6AM!). But now that we know, the next time we will just go with the flow and stay up with them. Overall, a great stay and I highly recommend it.

Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

I just got back from the Empress. It was my 1st time in Asbury Park, and I was completely skeptical as a NYC resident to spend an important weekend in NJ--but it was perfectly lovely. The Empress was super excellent.

The gay club downstairs was totally great, even from the NYC standards, and the room was surprisingly nice for a gay hotel--or any hotel for that matter (gay hotels tend to be horrendous in P-Town, on Fire Island, etc.). The staff was all friendly and courteous.

The only thing I didn't get was the occasional presence of straight couples--many of whom appeared totally uncomfortable w/ us boys. Did they not know that this was a gay hotel? I had a big fat bald guy call me a [---]faggot, and his female companion gave us such a hateful look that I almost forgot to make fun of her frosted "I am from Ohio" hair. Well, if you don't like us, maybe you should stay elsewhere...

Finally, I'd like to note how great Asbury Park was. In the NYC gay scene, we don't really mix (i.e., Whites go to predominantly White clubs, Blatinos go to Blatino clubs, and Asians have nowhere to go, etc.). In Asbury Park, people were more intermingled ethnically, and I really liked it. The Empress, too, was very much reflective of this, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

• Stayed July 2006
South Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Empress on Sat February 18, 2006. We were very pleased with our stay.
We were aware of the night club and the fact that the hotel is gay friendly.
When we checked in we asked if the noise from the night club would be a problem. Lauren at the front desk was extremely accommodating and moved us to a room away from the disco.
The rooms are very nice. Very clean-The bed was extremely comfortable. It was a very cold night but the heat worked great and we had great covers to keep us toasty warm.
We got back to our room about 12:30 and the club was indeed going strong. But it was fairly quiet in the room. We could occasionally hear the bass but it was faint and not a bother. There was what I assume was a group in the room next door and we could occasionally hear them but it wasn't enough to complain about and we both feel asleep quickly. The hotel was very quiet about 3am on. Couldn't hear anything.
We didn't use the balcony but they were roomy and we hope to go back in the summer and take advantage of it.
The hotel is only a block from The Stone Pony and directly across from the Boardwalk and Ocean. The Wonderbar is a few blocks away.
All in all we were very pleasantly suprised and pleased with our visit.

• Stayed February 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2005

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Empress. Do not be fooled by the neighborhood- once inside the property the confines of the Empress are comfortable and stylish. Our room overlooked the beach and we could hear the surf. The bed was plush and comfortable, and the cable channels plentiful. The pool was better than most- clean, lots of lounges and a terrific mural. You can tell that the owners have put a lot of time, money and detail into the place. This is definitely not a hotel for families, though. We would go back again.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2005

THE best hotel in Asbury Park! Hands Down! I began visiting Paradise Nightclub many years ago when it first opened underneath the Empress Hotel, and we all dreamed of what the grand Empress would become. Well Shep and staff did an excellent job in restoring it to all its glory. Me and my friends make it point to visit the Empress at least once a month. The boadwalk in front of the Empress has been restored and the little pocket of stores on the boardwalk is almost filled to capacity. Recently the "Casino" building at the end of the boardwalk has been semi-restored and opened so you may pass through to visit Ocean Grove. Asbury Park is coming back, get to the Empress to experience the new Asbury Park. The Empress faces the beach and ocean. Also has a huge pool and sundeck! The Empress and Paradise Nightclub welcomes all people gay str8 black white whatever, free your mind and enjoy!

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

After my first hotel experience in Asbury Park -- staying at the dirty, damaged Berkley Carteret (I'm the one who wrote the review about getting no customer service and no response from the manager when I tried to call and wrote letters ... cigarette burns in the comforter; cigarette ashes in the icemaker; etc ... smelly rooms ... overpriced ... gross!) ... I thought I'd never be able to visit Asbury Park again. When a band I love was scheduled to play at the Stone Pony, it was quite a conundrum for me: I wanted to go, but feared having to stay at the Berkley again. Thank goodness, there's The Empress!! The hotel is just beautiful. It's clean, comfortable, stylish, and fun. The staff was incredibly nice to us. I can't wait to return!! Thank you, Empress, for making it safe to return to Asbury Park -- not only safe, but enjoyable (imagine that!). By the way, although the hotel is popular with a gay clientele, we were completely welcomed and comfortable as heterosexuals. We love you, Empress!!!!!

• Stayed April 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

Every Friday night in the summer crowds of Homosexuals and more (GLBTM) flood in from New York and Philidelphia to a little Motel on the corner of Asbury and Ocean Avenues in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Whereas the town around it may be a town full of Rockers, Bikers, a ghetto people, the Empress stays lively with crowds of elbow to elbow Homosexuals in its pool, or in its nightclub, Paradise, a Gay disco located in its lobby.
June of this year is the NJ Gay Parade, and I expect the Empress to be packed! This was Judy Garland's Hotel of choice, it should be yours too!

• Stayed December 2004

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!