“What A Blast!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Asbury Park
JAC099
“What A Blast!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

At the time I went online to check out hotel options close to the Stone Pony, The Empress only had 3 reviews. They were really good reviews, clean, trendy, great staff and in addition the hotel did not look like a “former asylum”. Booked it and had an ABSOULETLY AWSOME time with my husband, his two sisters & their husbands. THE ONLY thing I think is IMPORTANT is to let people know UPFRONT is that the hotel caters predominantly to cliental living an alternative lifestyle. Please know that knowing this WOULD NOT have changed our plans in the slightest. BUT, unfortunately we live in a world where not everyone is as accepting of alternative lifestyles and I think that letting people know upfront gives them the option of choosing to stay there or not if it does not work for them. WE felt totally COMFORTABLE & WELCOMED by staff & guests. The food in the restaurant was fabulous and the prices are great. We would stay there again with out hesitation and definitely recommend it to those who are accepting & looking for a REALLY WILD time provided they are traveling WITHOUT children.

• Stayed April 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

I like Asbury Park, because it feels like NYC but on the Shore! The Empress Hotel is one of the driving forces behind this vibe. I don't want to say that The Empress "caters" to gay and lesbians, because the entire staff has always been so accomodating and they themselves are a diverse crew. But you will see a predominently gay and lesbian clientele, especially in the Paradise Nightclub that is housed in the same building. I personally love to see crowds of diversity and you will definately see that in the halls of the hotel and on the dancefloor as well! My recent stay was pre season and there was an obvious gearing up of things to come. My bartender filled me in on a lot of local information. The nice young man at the front desk told me all about this Summer's upcoming events and when the pool would open, etc. You could tell that these people are excited about their jobs and as always I felt comfortable and welcomed. Thank You.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

From Minneapolis and was visiting family and hadn't been in the Asbury area for 26 years.Was raised in NJ and hung out in Asbury, and was curious to see how it had changed. Stayed for 2 nites at the beginning of Feb 09. Staff was very friendly and helpful with where to order food and what the bars were like. I got to park right by the door in the alley so my car was safe. The room was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was clean. Only downside was water pressure low, but it is an older hotel and with an oxygenating shower head that problem would be taken care of. Had a standard room that faced the ocean, received a beautiful sunrise in the morning. Would stay there again and would love to stay in the summer when the pool is open and there are more people. The Copper bar and Paradise were both friendly bars.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Water pressure
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

Always enjoy our stay with the Empress Hotel. Friendly staff, clean and updated rooms, all things I look for as I am in the Hospitality field. We've stayed many times and have never had one problem.

• Liked — Hotel/Club combination
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We choose to stay here because it was close to the Stone Pony where we were going to see a concert. By close I mean a block away. We are not from NJ and have heard some not so pleasant th ings about this place. We had a 4th floor room facing the ocean....just beautiful in the morning. They gave us passes to their club in the building for that evening which we used after the concert for some late night drinks before heading up to the room. You could tell the place has been renovated in a very modern style. Our room was very comfy from the bed to the pillows. They also gave us a 15% off coupon for their restaurant "Ketchup" which we used in the morning for breakfast. They offered a continental but I wanted more so we had a lovely breakfast at Ketchup. Looking at the current state of the Asbury Park area, it is nice to see the renovations taking place and the pride in preserving such a historic place. I would definitely stay here again based on the service, the attitude of the staff, and the location.

• Liked — Great Service and location
  • Disliked — outside of the building needs updating
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

I have been going to this hotel for three years now and I love it! I was hoping that the construction would go away but somehow, three years later, all of the trash is still there. It's getting better and hopefully next summer it will be put away completely. I love this place, friendly staff, drinks are a little pricey but all in all.... TWO GAY THUMBS UP!!

• Liked — Its an all gay resort
  • Disliked — the trashy construction
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I Recently Had The Privelage Of Staying At The Empress Hotel For A Birthday Party For A Friend. The Accomodations Were Amazing The People Were So Friendly And The Lobby Was Very ... Cool...And Comfortable. My Room Had A Great View And A Balcony, And Wireless Internet. They Had A Club Attached To The Hotel, Paradise I Think...Which Was also Great...What An Experience. There Was Also A Cafe Of A Sort That Had Awesome Food. All in All I Had A GHreat Time And Would Recommend To All Who Aren't Afraid To Have A Little Fun...

• Liked — The Night Club And Food
  • Disliked — Limited Food And Pool But It All Opens In The Summer
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!