“Previously positive - not this time” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Egina Medellin
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 47 #68A - 80, Medellin 54, Colombia   |
Ranked #55 of 91 Hotels in Medellin
UK it's a OK
“Previously positive - not this time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Previously stayed at this hotel and given it a positive review but not this time.
I am currently staying here and although the rooms are clean, free wifi and the location is great, there are some downsides.

1 - I have stopped going for the free breakfast after the second day because I was served someone else's left over scrambled eggs re-heated by microwave. Disgusting.

2 - I was early for check-in so left my luggage in the hotel staff's care and cash was stolen out of one of my bags. To date, day five, there has been no apology or even acknowledgement that a wrong was done. It's as though it is acceptable for thefts to take place if you are stupid enough to leave a bag with staff

I won't be recommending this hotel to anyone else

Room Tip: If you are concerned about eating someone else's left over food don't take the breakfast at...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Check in was very smooth. Staying in room 207 which is very quiet. Staff speak English and really care for their guests. Clean rooms and nice safe location nearby restaurants, sports bars, clubs. Breakfast included in pricing. This hotel offers great value!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it's sister hotel was full. We were not told of this change before we came (no phone call, no email) but luckily for us, this location ended up being more convenient for us.

Pros:
1) Literally right around the corner from the metro (train) station ESTADIO.
2) Includes breakfast- good poriton of eggs, small fruit plate, arepa or bread, organe juice and coffee. Note: breakfast options are the same everyday.
3) SUPER friendly staff & very knowledgeable about the city. Many of them don't speak English well however.
4) RELIABLE high speed internet! (In rooms & lobby)
5) The area is very, very safe! We were two young women travelling alone and never had a single problem.
6) Extremely clean. Flat screen TV.

CONS:
1) Air conditioning in our room was very, very loud. And it didn't work properly. It was either freezing to sweltering.
2) Salsa, bachata, merengue music playing until 4am outside. Not unbearable but might be annoying for light sleepers.
3) Although you can't hear your neighbours in their room, you can hear EVERYTHING in the hallways especially when doors open & close. It will SURELY wake you every time.
4) BEWARE!! We had to pay $2/day/person "insurance" that was not stated when we booked.
5) Shower in our room made a loud squeeky sound.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from all the main road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Location is great: steps to Carrera 70, Estadio Station and football stadium. Staff is friendly, A/C is great, sit-down breakfast is good (coffee, juice, eggs, fruit, bread/arepas), room is clean and there is a small fridge in the room. However, the wifi is very poor and the walls and windows are paper thin. Even if you get a room close to the router, which is next to the elevator, the connection is still poor. Given its location, the noise outside (all day/night) is a given, but the noise within the hotel with its paper thin walls is not good. If you are a light sleeper, I don't recommend this hotel. If you can sleep through the noise and don't care about a good wifi connection, then book this hotel. For the record, I read previous reviews and requested a rear facing room, which the hotel confirmed was available, but when I checked in (after 3pm), the room was not ready so I took another room facing the front, near the elevator and stairs.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear of the hotel might be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The price is very good for the level of service and accommodations.

Each room has a stocked refrigerator, wifi, organization space, and typical things in the bathroom (shower towels, wash cloths, floor towel, soap, shampoo, glasses, etc).

The staff is very attentive and breakfast is included.

My only issues are... the room size is a bit small, and the breakfast can take some time since it's individually served rather then a self-service buffet.

It is extremely close to the metro and the sports park, also it is next to la setenta, an area with lots of restaurants/bars.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Tiny but immaculate room, effective air conditioning, location close to a Metro station, close to a huge number and variety of restaurants.....but also close to bars and discos. Very noisy until 3.am. If you are a light sleeper I would not recommend this hotel, even with ear plugs it was impossible to sleep until the bar/disco closed. Pity as otherwise this hotel is great value.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed in Egina in Medellin & Bogata. When we checked in at Medellin the bellhop took the bags up the stairs because he did not trust the elevator; we used the stairs during our stay.. The rate included breakfast which consisted of of a tiny patch of scrambled eggs,,, toast, a little bit of fruit, juice and the worst coffee we had in that country. The worst experience was at Egina Bogata. When I finished in the shower I slid the glass ldoor open; the door, which had no stop, hit the wall and shattered giving me several superficial cuts. When I reported the incident at the front desk, the were unconcerned about my welfare and told me that I owed them $500 USD for the door. They could not be moved by logic. Since I had no wish for a confrontation in a 3rd world country I paid with a Visa card,, wrote "paid in protest" on the slip, signed "Mickey Mouse", and put it in dispute with the bank as soon as I returned to the US. That's wqhere the matter stands 4 months later

Lee Gubala, New Orleans

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Egina Medellin? Share your experiences!