“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Medellin

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Medellin to your Saves list
InterContinental Medellin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 16 No. 28-51 | Variante Las Palmas, Medellin C007-06, Colombia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #36 of 89 Hotels in Medellin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

It was definitely not the type of InterContinental I stayed at in Asia, but the service made up for the other issues. The hotel looks pretty sad from the outside and it is on the way into/out of the city on a hill. That gives some nice views of the city, but also means it is remote from all the nice places in the city. The rooms are dated, but comfortable. I enjoyed the free fruit most. The first night I stayed the room was close to the road and I heard traffic all night. The second night was better as I was in a different wing. The breakfast was not my favorite (no salmon?:), but free and decent. But I'd say the front desk service was the best...and I'd give the whole place 4 stars. (The restaurant across from the hotel - Hatoviejo - is a highlight!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Lucas M, Training Coordinator at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Ruchei

We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Training Coordinator
InterContinental Medellin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Thank you to all the staff because every time I stay in Medellin I get the royal treatment from everyone. Special thanks to Mr Diego Gomez who makes sure that I am not another guest but a part of the family here at the intercontinental. The room service is delicious and very courteous, and even though I've stayed at 5 other 5 star hotels in Medellin I would never change my intercontinental experience here in Medellin.
Eduardo from Tampa

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lucas M, Case Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Eaduardo P

LucasMunoz
Medellin, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've always recommended this hotel but my current visit is very worrying. One, it's empty, two the la cava restuarant is closed, three the tumble weeds blow through the bar in the evening. And then there's the Club.
The Club used to be one of the hidden secrets of this city. Somewhere to go for a pleasant breakfast and a drink in the evening. With a lovely deck and views across the city it was worth the extra for a Club floor room or as a ICH club perk.
It was changed a while back and some of the charm removed. Now it is closed for any excuse and the drinks left in the evening a sad apology. The open bottle of white wine would have been better for making a salad dressing. Very poor. Laid out food was replaced with a small menu of items to order but it looks like cost cutting and a lack of frequent guests. The latter is very worrying.
The Club floor is the only floor not requiring key card access in the elevator and that was because the Club attendant would sit in the floor lobby welcoming and monitoring access. Now they've been relegated to an office down a corridor. No welcome and the least secure floor in the hotel.
The staff continue to be excellent and many familiar faces remain. However after dining in the Fogon restuarant one evening we got a call asking how much cash tip had been left. It appears a member of staff had not placed my tip in the jar. So not a happy place and perhaps a call or inquiry that could have awaited the morning.
I have a booking here over Christmas but I think I will need to move it. Something is amiss here and the recent ratings suggest common experiences.
I am truly sad about this stay. Some of the staff here I'd consider friends who have welcomed me many times. Parts of the hotel are tired - the recent room upgrades only papering over the wider issues. With the distant location increasingly an issue with medellins ever growing traffic jams hotel management (or the owners) need to move with some rapidity.

Room Tip: Long walks down the fingers of the building get you suites with a corner view but the worst wifi. C...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hanna D

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you InterContinental Medellin is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the (Fill in the blank) Hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details.

I would very much appreciate you send us your email address with the details of your concerns so we can plan to avoid future dissatisfaction in the future and to meet your expectations next time you visit us. Again, I would like to apologize and thank you for taking the time to write to us as we believe we can only improve and improve our services through our guest feedback.

We are looking forward to receiving further details in regards to your recent and stay as well as welcoming you back at the InterContinental Medellin

InterContental Medellin
Greenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very high prices for small,dirty old fashioned bedrooms with old furniture!
The pink carpet is dirty, I change bedrooms and the second one was in very poor condition as the first one,the first on 4th floor the second on the 6th floor.
The telephones in the bedrooms doesn't work and cleaning staff will knick at your door early (7am) to ask if you are leaving soon.
The staff is very nice,the restaurant overpriced but clean and good food.
They said are in the process to renovate but I stayed for a week and didn't see any work.
The "business center" in the 7th floor is a whole mess, smells horrible.
I do not recommend it! Go to a different place.

Room Tip: There is no good room,this hotel is super old.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear

I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay.

We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be thehotel in town. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Case Manger
InterContinental Medelin
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel is supposed to be a 5 star one, but to tell you the truth it is nothing even close, the rooms are old, service deserves 3 stars and you find nothing in the breakfast buffet, most of them are bread! Price is pretty expensive and the transportation is not convenient at all, don't recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lucas M, Case Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear thomaswong416

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you the Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product.

We’re sorry you received service or quality which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Grand Cayman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was a major and great hotel, but it needs now major renovations, upgrade and investment. The outside look fatigue, the rooms are very small, to enter the shower you have to maneuver a lot. Having said that the staff is good and very caring, the food quality at breakfast is also great.
A very large pool, one of the largest ones I ever seen. The carpet in the rooms need changing.

Room Tip: Stay facing opposite to the pool, they play music and it can disturbed you sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lucas M, Case Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear wrp57

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Our facilities wil be refreshed in order to provide friendly accomodations.

Bogota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have used the hotel numerous time for business. Have put up with old facilities due to service. Yet recently service has been on the down side. Internet is super slow, phones have trouble working, wake up call never happen, and for some reason althought the staff was friendly, they did not offer any solution to my complaints.

All in all quite a bad experience

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear FredJoy

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

InterContinental Medellin

Been to InterContinental Medellin? Share your experiences!