“Amazing hostel - great time had by all” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arcadia Hostel

You added Arcadia Hostel to your Saves list
Arcadia Hostel
Calle 11A, No. 31A-188 | Poblado, 5 min walk from zona rosa, parque Lleras, Medellin 05001000, Colombia   |
Reading, United Kingdom
“Amazing hostel - great time had by all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here end of July 2012. Been meaning to write this review for a long time. I stayed here for 4 nights with a friend and we had a great time. The staff were extremely help, the guests were also great (although that's not in the hostels control I guess). They offered dance lessons, a barbeque, they had a really fantastic guide book which they'd made themselves of the local area which showed you exactly how to get to all of the sights around Medellin.

Fast internet, comfortable. Very popular hostel - we stayed there for 3 nights and forgot to book a fourth night - it was full by the fourth night. We spoke to Spyro (the owner - great guy) and he really tried to help us out - in the end he let us sleep in the lounge for a reduced rate as he could see we really didn't want to leave his hostel. I hope to visit here again soon - also Medellin is probably one of my favourite cities I visited in South America in the whole 6 months I travelled around it - and this hostel and city really stood out above the rest.

Tip: the first time you visit - get a taxi or bus as arriving there the first time can be slightly confusing

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Freiburg im Breisgau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great hostel, friendly staff and management, free breakfast (pancakes and coffee)... centrally located in a residential area of el Poblado within walking distance from Parque Lleras (zona rosa, 5min), supermarket (10min) and Poblado Metro Station (10min). Hostal has a nice terrace with a big table to enjoy the weekly greek stlye bbq or your daily meals. Rooms are nice and clean equipped with huge lockers & wooden bunk beds. A small detail: Beds are equipped with a "curtain pole" in order to hang up your towel or bed sheet which in a hostal sometimes is really nice especially if you travel for a long time and want some privacy. Feels like a 2nd home away from home. Will sure be back on my next trip to colombia.

Room Tip: Pick a room upstairs, I stayed in "Troyan Horse" which was great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Arcadia_hostel, Owner at Arcadia Hostel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hi there and thanks for your comment. I just wanted to mention that i am planing to make the experience more private adding curtains to the 2 dorms upstairs Troyan and Argonauts!After having big lockers for each bed, private self table, 2 electrical sockets, and private lamp to each bed i think its the only thing missing!Also the cheap dorm downstairs Ades has 2 electrical sockets to each bed and we just started to instal small lockers as well.
Just to add about our events every Friday we have Free salsa lessons and on Saturdays very often we make special events like live music and open mic like karaoke!More projects to come!
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I will review the hostel in a moment but want to start by warning everyone that there were 7 robberies in the 4 days we stayed there. We had money stolen (as did others) and another had his phone stolen while it was on his lap and he slept in the common area right in front of reception.

Noone was sure of it was staff or other travellers. Staff were sympathetic to us but extremely powerless.

We left the hostel as soon as that happened but here is my review prior to that.

Good: free pancakes, information, bed size, DVDs, internet

Bad: noisy, barely any bathrooms showers, half hour walk to the metro/exito (don't let them fool you. That uphill walk is a killer!)

Overall I would have given it a 3 other than the robberies

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Arcadia_hostel, Owner at Arcadia Hostel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hi there, this is Spyros the owner.
I am aware of the situation and we are taking all possible measures for this matter. I don't consider we are powerless though. Even though there wasn't any proof of who was making the robberies we call the police in one case and they were ¨powerless¨ as well.The suspects are already dismissed but you can't expect to fire people in a few days especially during this time of the year were nobody works so who could replace them? We didn't have any problems in the past so in order to suspect and fire someone proofs or high suspect is needed that in a few days we didn't have since people get robbed in dorms were are lots of people.We have 6 cameras (did this other person that had his phone stolen in the common area ask to see the cameras? or report the incident and we didn't show him?) in the hostel and lockers as well.
It seems to me unfair to blame the hostel when it could be a thief that decide to steal all people that are not organized and they don't keep safe their stuff. WE DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIB ILITY FOR THINGS MIGHT GET STOLEN unless there is a proof that the staff is responsible. We advice our guests to use the lockers and don't let unattended their valuables.
Now about the showers and bathrooms, there are 3 dorms at the moment and 5 privates in Arcadia.3 of the privates have private bathrooms and showers and 2 of the dorms as well.For the dorm of 12 people and the other 2 privates that are not ensuite we provide 1 toilet, 1 shower - toilet and an extra shower that I think are enough.
About the walking distance from the metro we don't fool nobody, downhill is 15 min and uphill it can be 25 min but you always have the option to take the bus that is less than a dollar or if you are in the metro you can always ask for an integrated ticket, tickete integrado, you can persuaded in the metro station where you buy the normal ticket for the metro it costs 2200 a bit more than a dollar and includes the bus ticket from the metro station Poblado.It will let you up in the 10th and Carrera 36 where is the Dominos pizza or 34 and from there you just walk 5 min!
The taxi from the metro station it costs la minima that is 4500 like 2,5 dolars!
Never before had had a similar situation and for that i am gonna take additional measures like installing 2 more cameras and more lockers in the cheap dorm.
Santa Marta, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Arcadia hostel is a lovely hostel in the nice, quiet, safe area of El Poblado, I really like the atmosphere in the hostel and it’s great value for money with free pancakes for breakfast and coffee all day! The beds are comfortable with personal power sockets, lamps, big lockers and the showers are good, with really friendly and helpful staff, a nice clean communal area and a delicious BBQ on Sundays.
Like I said, the area is quiet and safe but if you want to party then there are plenty of bars, clubs and nice cafes and restaurants around, and Poblado metro station is within walking distance. I would definitely recommend this hostel to my friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I really loved staying here. I was recommended to stay at another hostel in the city, but was not impressed upon arrival, so luckily I found this one. When I got there, the front desk was so nice and made me feel quite welcome. It was a great experience. They had cold beer, fast Wi-Fi, clean and inexpensive rooms, hot showers, a fun staff, and even had activities planned, that we could join if we wanted to. One night a week, they make an incredible barbeque for the guests that you can join for a small price. Most, all you can eat barbeques run out of food, but not this one…I was stuffed and there was still so much more. Medellin is such an awesome city, and Arcadia Hostel made it that much better. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Veldhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We loved it here. Libeth the girl behind the reception is the best! she and an other staff member took us out on a night in town, there was a special evening with fireworks and party and they were awesome taking care off everybody! when the day after i had problems booking my flights, she went out of her way to help me!! I love this girl! There is a very good vibe going on and it a nice safe place to be! only tip for the hostel, hire a beter cleaning lady, because the place is just a little to dirty(kitchen and bathroom wise)...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I took the Elysium Fields room (the cheapest private room) for three nights. The hostel is pretty nice, with a lounge/reception/bar, kitchen and terrace, however it's very small. This is only a problem because our room was directly on the terrace, with an entirely glass wall facing onto it. Hence we had to have the curtains closed all the time to get any privacy (so it was quite dark and pokey), and there was no sound insulation. On our first night (a Sunday) we returned at 11:30pm to find the music from reception blaring and about 20 people drinking and chatying on the terrace. The noise was terrible from our room (we could hear everything), but we were so tired that we went to sleep pretty quick. However, at 4am we were awoken by people who had returned from partying and were yelling and drinking right outside our room. I eventually had to go and ask them to be quiet, it was so loud.
Furthermore, in the mornings there is pancake batter to make your own breakfast, but there is only one hob and limited pans, so you have to wait your turn until it's free, which can take a looong time, and is annoying if you need to be somewhere early.
There are two shared toilets - one by reception and one upstairs with a shower head on the wall (but it's absolutely tiny; you basically shower on the loo). Both often had drainage problems and the upstairs one has a garden gate covered in plastic sheeting for a door.
They offer laundry, but you have to take down and fold it all yourself. My clothing smelt of pizza when I got it back, and I was missing a pair of pants and a pair of socks.
Finally, our room wasn't cleaned the whole time we were there - not even the bin was emptied!
Overall, a pretty scrappy place; no recommendation from me.

• Stayed October 2013
Arcadia_hostel, Owner at Arcadia Hostel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi there and thanks for your review, this is Spyros!
About Ellisium is almost impossible not letting people having a cigarette and some chats in the terrace before they go sleep, but we try to keep the noise down after 11pm and 12pm on the weekends..I compromise to take some measurements (construction) in order to fix this problem and the same for the shower and the door upstairs..in addition very soon we are gonna built an additional bano/shower.
For the pancakes we had another special pot where you can cooke them independently from the oven but it broke, we will fix it as soon as possible..
You were unlucky to be here during the drainage problems, there were all fixed soon after..
Me and my staff apologies about your bad experience and that your clothes wasn't properly done and your room not cleaned, i have already plans how to avoid this to happen again in the future!
Kind regards, the owner administrator Spyros Mitrakos!

Been to Arcadia Hostel? Share your experiences!