“They made me feel like Family!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arcadia Hostel

You added Arcadia Hostel to your Saves list
Arcadia Hostel
Calle 11A, No. 31A-188 | Poblado, 5 min walk from zona rosa, parque Lleras, Medellin 05001000, Colombia   |
Los Angeles, California
“They made me feel like Family!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I really loved staying here. I was recommended to stay at another hostel in the city, but was not impressed upon arrival, so luckily I found this one. When I got there, the front desk was so nice and made me feel quite welcome. It was a great experience. They had cold beer, fast Wi-Fi, clean and inexpensive rooms, hot showers, a fun staff, and even had activities planned, that we could join if we wanted to. One night a week, they make an incredible barbeque for the guests that you can join for a small price. Most, all you can eat barbeques run out of food, but not this one…I was stuffed and there was still so much more. Medellin is such an awesome city, and Arcadia Hostel made it that much better. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Veldhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We loved it here. Libeth the girl behind the reception is the best! she and an other staff member took us out on a night in town, there was a special evening with fireworks and party and they were awesome taking care off everybody! when the day after i had problems booking my flights, she went out of her way to help me!! I love this girl! There is a very good vibe going on and it a nice safe place to be! only tip for the hostel, hire a beter cleaning lady, because the place is just a little to dirty(kitchen and bathroom wise)...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I took the Elysium Fields room (the cheapest private room) for three nights. The hostel is pretty nice, with a lounge/reception/bar, kitchen and terrace, however it's very small. This is only a problem because our room was directly on the terrace, with an entirely glass wall facing onto it. Hence we had to have the curtains closed all the time to get any privacy (so it was quite dark and pokey), and there was no sound insulation. On our first night (a Sunday) we returned at 11:30pm to find the music from reception blaring and about 20 people drinking and chatying on the terrace. The noise was terrible from our room (we could hear everything), but we were so tired that we went to sleep pretty quick. However, at 4am we were awoken by people who had returned from partying and were yelling and drinking right outside our room. I eventually had to go and ask them to be quiet, it was so loud.
Furthermore, in the mornings there is pancake batter to make your own breakfast, but there is only one hob and limited pans, so you have to wait your turn until it's free, which can take a looong time, and is annoying if you need to be somewhere early.
There are two shared toilets - one by reception and one upstairs with a shower head on the wall (but it's absolutely tiny; you basically shower on the loo). Both often had drainage problems and the upstairs one has a garden gate covered in plastic sheeting for a door.
They offer laundry, but you have to take down and fold it all yourself. My clothing smelt of pizza when I got it back, and I was missing a pair of pants and a pair of socks.
Finally, our room wasn't cleaned the whole time we were there - not even the bin was emptied!
Overall, a pretty scrappy place; no recommendation from me.

• Stayed October 2013
Arcadia_hostel, Owner at Arcadia Hostel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi there and thanks for your review, this is Spyros!
About Ellisium is almost impossible not letting people having a cigarette and some chats in the terrace before they go sleep, but we try to keep the noise down after 11pm and 12pm on the weekends..I compromise to take some measurements (construction) in order to fix this problem and the same for the shower and the door upstairs..in addition very soon we are gonna built an additional bano/shower.
For the pancakes we had another special pot where you can cooke them independently from the oven but it broke, we will fix it as soon as possible..
You were unlucky to be here during the drainage problems, there were all fixed soon after..
Me and my staff apologies about your bad experience and that your clothes wasn't properly done and your room not cleaned, i have already plans how to avoid this to happen again in the future!
Kind regards, the owner administrator Spyros Mitrakos!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Me and my boyfriend moved here beacuse we had a bad experience at Pit stop hostel.
As soo as we walked in the hostel has a lovely cool viber about it. The reception area was cool and quirky and i loved the terrace outside, this was a great place to meet people and socialise. The rooms were really clean and updated, we had the private next to the kitchen which was too nosiey due to people making pancakes but that was its only fault. The BBQ that they do is good value and it gets everyone together soicably. The owner is a greek guy and he was very friendly and would help you out with any questions regarding Medellin. I would def recommend staying here we had a great time : )

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was in this hostel and had one of my best experiences. The hostel is very nice with very comfortable beds and spacious bathrooms always clean and all the services you need including free pancakes and coffee.
My favorite place was the terrace with a very peaceful atmosphere with a natural view and the sofas in the TV room are too comfortable, overall I loved everything, was very beautiful and clean with the best atmosphere, everyone was always willing to help, there is always a plan something to do, events in which you integrate very well with the staff and of course with guests such as salsa classes they do every Friday. Spyros (the owner) always has good ideas and good plans, having fun as ever, not to mention an excellent cook and BBQ on Sundays were the best, since I now consider myself a fan of Greek BBQ.
the tourist information was complete with a very large map and most important tourist sites which are explained in a book in Spanish and English with photos, very good information.
I felt at home, you get everything you want, there are a total balance in this hostel, if you want to relax you can do with all the tranquility and if you want to have a beer and listen to music quietly is also available and if you don’t want to stay in the hostel you can easily go to the “Zona Rosa” and have fun in bars. I met great people and lived great experiences, love Saturdays Karaoke, sing and rest when ever wanted. It was definitely one of the best places I've been able to stay and I’ll definitely come back to this place and I recommend it to everyone, so I hope you can have a great experience as I had.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Friendly staff, elusive owner, generally cool vibe, but the new "dorm" aimed to squeeze in another 12 people in tripple bunks in a GARAGE with no ventilation, light or door let alone space to keep your stuff in, will make the hostel go down hill. Especially at the steep price of 20 000 pesos. Unbelievable experience, made me cut my trip to medellin short.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Arcadia_hostel, Owner at Arcadia Hostel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hi there is Spyros the owner.
My sincere apologies for your bad experience. Unfortunately we were obliged use this dorm since all the rest were totally booked and the people were coming and all city was totally booked out its like this during the flower festival!So we put the people there even though the dorm was not ready yet, thats why we only charged 20 mil because it was the flower festival.In the same area other hostels will charged for a dorm even 40 mil or 30 and we charged you only 20 that is what they charge in a normal period or even more!
Now we only charge 16 mil, we are the cheapest in Medellin in the best area of the city and with very good service! We additional offer very good location only 5 min walk form the main action, free coffee and pancakes every day, comfy beds and hot showers, we provide you with a towel and you can use internet for FREE in our 2 computers or through WIFI wherever in the hostel!We also have the best tourist information and affiliated tours that will make the experience to see more of the inside of the city and the local culture.For this will help the cool parties and events we organize especially in the weekends like FREE salsa lessons every Friday, special events and parties every Saturday and delicious Greek style BBQs make the people come more together and get to now each other easily in a very multicultural environment where everybody is accepted with no importance where he comes from or in what he believe or age has.
You where here in the busiest period of the year thats why it was so full.Normally its ok, the "elusive owner"??Ha.. are people now staying in my hostel without having a reservation from before just came in the hostel and after looking to all the dorms they select the cheap one and they still staying there for a week and i even asked them how they feel down there and their answer was that is cool or you take what you pay for so they never complained.
Unfortunately when you came we just opened and things were unfinished.This happened because of a mistake the technicians made and the whole project delayed 2 more weeks!You know how it is in latin America... Its been more than a week since we instal good lighting, ventilation and the door of course was there maybe the second day..we are still working and will take a while to finish this room and make it really nice and cosy. Untill then we' ll keep a really cheap price at 16 mile for something basic.
Again i am really sorry for your bad experience if you ever pass by don't hesitate to come back we will offer you a free night in whichever room we will have available :), take care!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The staff and the atmosphere in this hostel was one of the best we've seen in our 3 month trip through all of South America. Most staff are young cool kids that just partied along with us.

We stayed in the private room next to the kitchen, which was a little noisy sometimes and could do with a little upgrade, but for the price it was fine. Shower was hot and strong!

Location the great thing is that the hostel is very close to the bars and clubs of Poblado - the main party place of Medellin. But, as mentioned below - the trek to the metro is a bit far. To get there is fine as it's all down hill, but getting back is certainly a bit of a mission. However, cabs are cheap and plentiful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Arcadia Hostel? Share your experiences!