“Fun and social place - long walk to the metro” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arcadia Hostel

You added Arcadia Hostel to your Saves list
Arcadia Hostel
Calle 11A, No. 31A-188 | Poblado, 5 min walk from zona rosa, parque Lleras, Medellin 05001000, Colombia   |
Sydney, Australia
“Fun and social place - long walk to the metro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The staff and the atmosphere in this hostel was one of the best we've seen in our 3 month trip through all of South America. Most staff are young cool kids that just partied along with us.

We stayed in the private room next to the kitchen, which was a little noisy sometimes and could do with a little upgrade, but for the price it was fine. Shower was hot and strong!

Location the great thing is that the hostel is very close to the bars and clubs of Poblado - the main party place of Medellin. But, as mentioned below - the trek to the metro is a bit far. To get there is fine as it's all down hill, but getting back is certainly a bit of a mission. However, cabs are cheap and plentiful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hostel is cool, in a good spot, has friendly staff, awesome breakfast and the cheapest beds you'll find in Medellín. Thank you for offering cheap beds in a safe part of a not so safe not so cheap city!

Room Tip: We stayed in the garage area that has two bunk beds that go up three beds. These are super cheap and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Overall, Arcadia is a great place to stay--close to Parque Lleras with lots of bars and restaurants, fantastic staff--they helped me plan my days and had great suggestions and information, free salsa lessons, free pancakes and coffee for breakfast, etc. Also, when I checked in, the staff gave me a heads up that there would a party on Saturday night--it was great to be "forewarned". (I simply put in my earplugs when I wanted to go to sleep!). The only downside is that it is about 20 minutes walk from the metro. But, despite that, I would definitely stay here again. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The thing I liked most about this hostel was that you can definitely see that the Greek owner (Spyros) really puts his heart into the place: he and all the staff are friendly, there's really good tourist information in the form of a giant map of the city with all the important landmarks pointed out and there's a weekly BBQ with a Greek theme. The place is kept clean and staff were generally friendly and helpful. I also liked the complimentary breakfast, which consisted of coffee and pancakes (that you can make yourself anytime before noon).

There weren't many things I didn't like, but they were annoying enough to lower my review score. First off, there weren't that many people around, even though Medellin seemed to be full of travelers at the time. This made socializing a bit hard. Despite that, it could still be rather loud at night, because some of the staff liked their music rather loud and the few people there were kept talking until late on the terrace our room faced, with no staff member stopping them. Also the first two mornings we got woken up by somebody playing the guitar on that same terrace before 9:30am, which is rather irritating if other people didn't let you sleep the night before. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the location. While it's close to the Zona Rosa, it's really rather far from the metro, so getting anywhere outside of Poblado is quite the mission. If you are there for sightseeing more than partying, that might be a bit of a problem. And while it didn't bother me, my girlfriend didn't really like the shared bathroom, which was on a kind of roofed terrace, that also houses the washing machine and drying laundry. It felt a bit like an afterthought (there's not even a mirror above the sink), which is a shame considering that the dorm next to our room had a really nice private bathroom.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

After spending several noisy nights in other Medellin hostels, Arcadia was a welcome relief. Going to sleep to the sound of a stream in a beautiful wooded area only five minutes from Poblado´s party area was great! The owner Spyros and his staff helped organize several tours for me and told me all about the city. The Saturday night karaoke was extremely fun and the Sunday BBQ was a great way to meet other travelers. The greek sauce was great as well!

I stayed in 3 different rooms for a total of 10 nights and loved all of them. The rooms and the common area were kept spotlessly clean and the warm HIGH pressure shower water was awesome. Internet access worked fine in my rooms with my laptop which made my work much easier. Overall, Arcadia was a great place that felt peaceful yet was only minutes from the nightlife. Hanging out with the guests on the covered, large outdoor patio was quite memorable as well. And the hostel bar drinks were great prices, much better than anywhere else around town. Thanks for the great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a few nights here to see beautiful Medellin. The guys are great there and wish them every success.

The Good:
Incredible staff. Could not be more helpful. All with a smile on their faces.
Location great. Only a five minute walk into the hustle and bustle of El Poblado but in a leafy area opposite a small green park area.
Roomy rooms. We stayed in Calypso and was huge. Bathroom massive and fully stocked.
Breakfast. Simple - cook pancakes yourself with premixed mixture and grab a great cup of Colombian coffee. What else is needed??

The Bad:
The Greek style BBQ was interesting but all food was gone before I had "all I want". At the end of the day, we're all backpacking and watching every peso so it didn't surprise me that there wasn't enough. While not expensive, I wished I could have had a bit more of the good food.
The room we booked, Calypso, was out of the way from the common areas so that we could socialize when we wanted and enjoy quiet time when we wanted. People were smoking on the verandah while socialising and I respect their choice to do that. But then we would wake up with smoke in our room cos someone couldn't be bothered walking 20m to the verandah. I realize this isn't the fault of the guys working but hopefully they could enforce that rule (which was made very clear to us when checking in) a bit better now.

The Ugly:
Even Clint Eastwood agrees there's no uglies [|8{>

• Stayed April 2013
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Excellent place to stay in Medellin. This is the best hostel in El Poblado (the best neighborhood in the city of Medellin). Very close to Zona Rosa and all the nightlife in Medellin. Plenty of restaurants and bars are located in 5 minutes walking from hostel.

Hostel is clean, easy, and quiet. The whole hotel's staff (speak English) is really great and helped me a lot in everything I needed. The owner was always ready to help and give suggestions.

BBQ on sundays is huge and delicioso!!! Not to be missed!!!

Would definitely recommend. ¡Hasta luego! Arcadia

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Arcadia Hostel? Share your experiences!