“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Charlee

You added The Charlee to your Saves list
The Charlee
4.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Calle 9A 37 16 | Parque Lleras, Medellin, Colombia   |
Ranked #27 of 91 Hotels in Medellin
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I travel often and have stayed in many high end hotels. My stay at Charlee was nearly flawless. At check-in I was greeted in a friendly manner and despite my lack of Spanish the front desk personel handled me in a graceful way, offering me drinks as well. Almost everyone at the front is fluent in English so can only praise them were others on here have had some criticism. I stayed in 501 which is envy suite with the hot tub. It's pretty much a regular room with a larger balcony and hot tub, but the tub works amazingly well and was worth it to me. Bed-comfortable, hot water always, great Internet connection in this room. The gym is insanely nice. Anyone who works out at all would dream of having a gym this well equipped and stylish. I've seen gyms like this only in giant Vegas hotels, and would still consider this nicer. The bar/pool on the roof is a cool place to hang in the evening. It is pricey but you are paying for atmosphere. I loved the Italian restaurant in the lobby. Friendly staff, some speaking English, and the steak there is amazing. Again expensive in comparison but I enjoyed it. I have to put one negative so you know this is a real review and that would be the noise at night. All the clubs and bars near it blast music till 4am. Earplugs a must! If you are a light sleeper without earplugs you will be unhappy. I slept with my ipod buds playing music everynight. Overall I give the hotel a high rating. I put a premium on staying In a safe place and this hotel is in a park which I felt safe at all hours walking around nearby. It is close to bars and restaurants and short cab rides to shopping and other places to go out. I liked riosur for clubbing best. there is a grocery right around the corner as well as a place to change money. Thanks again to the staff at the front and in the restaurant for making me feel welcome. You deserve praise. Will be back to stay again for certain

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Charlee in February 2013. The rooms are normal, but the balconys were great. I was really impressed. At night, the upper floor has a roof top swimming pool that converts to a lounge are with live entertainment. This area also offers an amazing view of the city at night. The complimentary breakfast was fairly basic, but good nonetheless. The only complaint we had was the service at the front desk is less than stellar to say the least. We arrived slightly before a 3pm check in time...the front desk offered no solutions other than saying the rooms were not ready. So, we got to carry our luggage around the street for an hour before we could check in. This was truly ridiculous. The front desk staff acted as if we were not guests at all, almost as if they did not appreciate our business at all. Management needs to address this immediately with these employees. Other than that, the Charlee is a nice place to stay. However, it is far from being a 5 Star Hotel (according to US Standards). The prices are a bit overpriced for what you get and the hospitality is non-existent. You cannot aspire or represent yourself as a 5 Star Hotel when your customer service area sucks...Tighten up Charlee...travelers do have other choices in Medellin to stay..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I agree 100% with all the comments below about the appalling front desk service at this hotel, by far the worst of any comparatively priced hotel I've ever been. No concierge left us dragging our own luggage up the steps to the entrance. The young girl at reception briefly looked over at us struggling and then went back to her computer as if we were invisible. No greeting whatsoever. Inside, we were treated like the poorest dirty backpackers and felt like we were imposing on the staff to simply check in (we did notice that the staff were much friendlier to Spanish speaking guests). The room is nice, but the pool on the roof has no place to get any sun; it is simply a party pool next to a bar. We asked for a recommendation of a good place for brunch - the front desk staff recommended a horrific diner around the corner that served hot dogs and scrambled eggs. Later we discovered many trendy, funky upscale boutique restaurants around the other corner of the hotel, and we were seriously dumbfounded how or why such a hotel would recommend their guests to a fast food dump. Breakfast onsite is basic: coffee is terrible and standard is not 5-star in any way. Note to GM: You seriously need to train your staff if you want to charge $250+ per night for a room! Guest relations are a key component of customer experience. My advice: Best to avoid!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Medellin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

To be clear, we did not (have not) stay at the hotel so the review is not based on actual occupancy; we were going to use it as an option for a group of 15 to 20 people we have coming to Medellin for an event, so we went to check prices, availability etc.

The lady at the front desk was reasonable with her outline of facilities the hotel offered, however when we asked for a room price she would not provide it and instead insisted we took a card with an events individual (may have been another title) and call her. We asked if we could ring from there to find the information however this was not an option. I have little patience for that type of thing, the price should be available at the front desk, so we left and will use the Park 10 hotel (the front desk lady did not know that we had a large group and for all she knew we could have been wanting to stay there that night - so it was a little weird).

On a positive note -

the gym which I have been to there is excellent - they did a fantastic job on it and the facilities are excellent.

the roof top bar / disco / pool. Fantastic city views and they hold some excellent events.

decor - really well done in both the lobby etc.

location - can't get better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Noisiest hotel on earth Thurs/Fri/Sat, calm rest of week. They appear to rent out rooms for all-night parties. Wall partitions are paper-thin, so sleep is impossible, even with earplugs. Excellent food in Italian ground-floor restaurant (nearly always empty). Staff very pleasant.

Room Tip: Doesn't make any difference which floor you're on.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Charlee hotel is beautiful and has a lot of potential, but unfortunately it comes up short in a few areas.

I'll begin with the good points. The room is beautiful with lots of space. The hotel is incredibly well located. The gym is well equipped and very large.

Now for the areas that could be improved. Both the roof top pool and the jacuzzi on the balcony contain freezing cold water. The jacuzzi has both a hot and cold tap, though the hot water tap doesn't actually have access to any water.

The staff at the entrance of the gym is really rude and their is no AC in the gym.

While the breakfasts were good, the staff is really slow. One morning, we had to ask for our coffee 3 times before finally being served coffee at the end of our meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The rooms and location are great but the service leaves much to be desired. The staff does not speak English and the hotel does not have any way to assist you with most things you would expect from an 250+ a night hotel such as a bell man and a concierge. This hotel is a great place to party. You can hear music from the street until 4 am. This hotel would be great if the service improved. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Charlee? Share your experiences!