“Brilliant hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Cra 81a N 47a-48, Medellin, Colombia   |
Edmonton, Canada
“Brilliant hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Just off to the metro system in Medellin was an excellent hostel I stayed at a few weeks back called The Yellow House Hostel. The couple that run the establishment Vince and Katalina were excellent and run the hostel with topnotch performance. It was very clean and welcoming therefore I decided to extended my stay there.

Breakfast was included with the stay which made a great start for the day for sightseeing of Medellin. Even if you want to adventure outside of Medellin Vince was very knowledgeable since he travelled all over Colombia which made him a great tour guide. In the hostel there was great wireless signal which helped me contact my friends and family home. While my pictures were being downloaded on facebook I had a chance to play with the very friendly dogs at the hostel. Thomas and Metias was the names of these beautiful and clean dogs which was very respectful to guest. The rooms were very clean and I was even able to use an extra pillow without any problems to help me sleep. Sleeping wasn't a problem anyways since this was an organised hostel and not a party hostel.

During my travels in Colombia this was among my favorite hostels I stayed at and I recommended it to all other travelers I met along the way.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I had a terrible experience at the hostel called Yellow House in late January. All those glowing reviews influenced my decision to make a reservation to stay there for 2 weeks. Firstly, the hostel turned out to be a private home with rooms for rent and 2 large furiously barking dogs greeted me at the door. I was shown to my "private room with bath" which turned out to be a dorm room with a bunk bed and a double bed. The gray and wrinkled sheets looked like more than one person had slept in them before me. On the wall there was a large cheesy painting of a nude woman which in no manner could be explained as art. The "private bath" was actually a connecting bath to yet another dorm room, now empty. The owner became very irritated at me in his rapid fire Spanish with yet another accent when I didn't understand what he wanted to explain to me. The single knob of the shower was broken and had to be fiddled with to operate. Fortunately, I had given the phone number previously to a friend who lives in Medellin and she called a few minutes after I arrived. I whispered "Help....please get me out of here"! She said she would be right over.

I would have been the only woman guest there and the other renters were older european men in baggy shorts and bare feet who looked like they were all struggling pensioners. Music was blaring loudly and the house smelled like dogs. I waited for my friend outside of the house for about an hour and noticed every time anyone left or rang the bell, they had to wait for the companion of the owner - keeper of the keys - who would lock and unlock the door after quieting the two canines. When I was in the process of leaving with my luggage, the owner insisted I pay him $47,000 pesos because he said he had turned down people because of my reservation. He continued ranting and arguing with me even after I said numerous times that I would pay him. All in all, this place is not even suitable for the most impoverished tourist. Although it is located near a metro, it is a long way from the center of Medellin or El Poblado where everything is happening. There are a number of inexpensive "real" hostels in El Poblado that would be a much better choice than this terrible place with its aggresive and hostile owner. The photos on his website are deceptive and why no photos of the bedrooms? Don't be fooled by the glowing reports of his pals because it would be hard to find a place worse than this in Medellin!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
mablonde, Owner at Yellow House Hostel, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
hi everyone,my name is vince,i am the owner of YELLOW HOUSE HOSTEL,
as trip advisor suggested it to me,i want to give my version of this comment,
as any hostel,we welcome our guests in a house
the house where we welcome our guests is our own house,me and my colombian wife welcome people this way,
we have two very nice dogs,which are a 2 years old labrador,and a 9 month golden reitiver,as humans we talk,as dogs they shout,
we don t welcome guests in dirty sheets,our private rooms are for one,two,three or four persons,so there is one double bed and a bunk bed in each private room,
nobody waits a the door to come in,
concerning this woman,she has been sent by a very good friend of mine,from cartagena,but my friend own a hotel,
and this woman didn t know anything about what a HOSTEL is,she is a hotel costumer,not a hostel costumer,she was about 70 years old(which doesn t mean anything to us,we use to welcome any age persons) ,this woman arrived a 11 in the morning,she took the room,left her luggage in the room,went for a walk and she came back at 5 in the afternoon,and wanted to go out with her luggage,saying she won t pay anything,arguying that the hostel is very bad,when someone check in a room and use it for several hours,it is normal to pay the room, even if this person didn t spend the night there,we are a very small hostel,so we cannot keep rooms empty a the last moment,
if anyone arrive in my hostel and doesn t like the place,i agree,i know the zone very well,it is very easy for me to find a place made for everyone,
our house doesn t smell dog,
we listen to music ,
our showers work very well,and they are very hot,
we are in a quiet residential zone,the opposite of the poblado party district,
which is a good other option for those who don t want to be mixed with only tourist and foreigners
our hostel is very small,which means that we are very close to any costumer,
we do our best to give the best atention to every one,
one last detail,everything is not all the time good,but neither,everything is not only bad,as the comment the lady left about me,
thanks for reading me,
Vince.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Katerine & Vincent are two lovely persons who are doing their best to make your stay like you never left your own home. Vincent coffee is excellent

Diana y Antonio

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
medellin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Being in Yellow house hostel is like feel a little bit at home. The place is hold by a franco colombian couple who bring the home sweet home atmosphere in a residential street, at 2 minutes walk from the metro station which bring you everywhere in the city in 15min for 1250 pesos. The advantage is that once you're back home, you can sleep well and relax in a quiet place and enjoy a breakfast in the garden. Sometimes when we travel we'd like to be in a place just to feel good and being like home and not just in an hostel. Vincent, the french ownen is full of energy and just starting his hostel will do the maximum to provide you the best service and give you a nice breakfast. Katerine his compagne will give you the colombian touch and their dog, a budy to play with... I spent really good time, sharing diner with them or movie, playing backgammon or just making a bike tour in the city. Now we're ike lfriends. Just try and you'll see.
Alex (France)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I spent ten days at the Yellow House during the Flower Festival. Vincent and his partner made the stay very comfortable...in fact it kinda felt like we were staying in their house as guests. the hostel is clean and comfortable and located in a safe, leafy barrio and very close to the metro. highly recomend the yellow house unless your looking for a party hostel because this is more hostel where you can relax and get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Yellow House Hostel? Share your experiences!