“NOT 5 STAR!!! maybe 3 star” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrera 42 A No. 1 - 15, Medellin 0000, Colombia   |
Ranked #16 of 91 Hotels in Medellin
France
“NOT 5 STAR!!! maybe 3 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Like other reviews that have been posted I can confirm that most of the slightly negative comments are spot on... Rooms are indeed outdated, especially the bathrooms... Shower never got hot, only luke warm at best, towels feel a bit like sand paper (not soft and fluffy) No facial tissues... Difficult to find staff that speaks English...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a hotel with very nice rooms. There is a great pool area. Breakfast, which is included in room rate is huge and the service is 5 star. The hotel is walking distance to the metro. There is secure parking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejo Q, Director Comercial at Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Ms Sara.
We dearly appreciate your comments.
It´s a great joy to know that not only you had a great Hotel experience but you got to know our amazing city (if it was your first stay)
We hope to have you back again in the San Fernando Plaza Hotel.
Bogota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I think is and average hotel because is expensive, If you compare with hotel at the same price. The restaurant and the bar is not as you expect when you reserve, the different is the service all the people is friendly

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Alejo Q, Director Comercial at Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Mr Gabriel.
Thank you very much for your comments. We are a team committed a 100% in giving an excellent service.
We hope to have you back again.
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We travel to Medellin quite often, about twice x year and we used to stay @ the Intercontinental, however.... this last time for "Feria de las Flores" we noticed rates were extremely high and decided to check other hotels. We found this one and what we liked on top of being like $100 US less than the "Inter" is that facilities are way newer, rooms seem to be cleaner (maybe because of newer carpet) and hotel is right next to nice restaurants, a Juan Valdez coffee shop and walking distance to places like Hard Rock Cafe. Not "isolated" like other hotels. Areas that I liked better at the Inter were the swimming pool area, gym and tennis courts.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Alejo Q, Director Comercial at Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Mr Ozzy.
Thank you for your kind words. As you mentioned we do have Top of the line premises within an iconic Business complex in Medellín, right in the heart of the financial district. This strategic location gives our guests great entertainment options just a few blocks away.
We are very glad that you enjoyed our city and we hope to have you and your family back in our Hotel.

Bogota, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel one weekend and - while offering a high standard of facilities and service - we couldn't help to feel it still fell short of what we expect it to be.

The decor on hallways and rooms felt a bit outdated.

The room itself was comfortable and spacious, but felt much like a standard hotel room and was nothing to write home about.

Must say breakfast was excellent in terms of variety and quality of the food, but we had to wait for plates to be replaced in the buffet and the room felt crowded even though it was large enough. Not what you would expect at a hotel of this standard.

The pool area is definitely a highlight though, and whether staying there for business or leisure, definitely worth hanging out at.

Location is also a big plus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice. The room is large but the bathroom is a bit outdated yet clean. The breakfast was good.

I found the staff at the reception desk a bit rude. I don't speak Spanish and they did speak English though seemed frustrated when I asked a question. They give you a card that offers you a free alcoholic drink in the lobby but when I went to go get it, they told me it's only juice or coffee. When I asked the receptionist about it, they replied saying they don't know what is offered because they might have changed it. But if that is the case, why give a card that says "try our local liquer".

Also provided my laundry. They made me fill our a form indicating my items and the cost. When I got back the items, they changed my list and increaed the price without asking me first if I approved.

Overall my stay was ok but I would probably suggest to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Sir.
We truly appreciate your comments, It´s terribly sad knowing that you had a great Hotel experience but you had that inconvenient with one of our receptionists. I am replying your comments to our Human resources director so we can implement protocols to avoid this kind of events.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you’re traveling again to Medellín. My e-mail is: Mercadeo@hotelsanfernandoplaza.com

houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel recently, the have an average fare but given the service provided, it is obvius they can't cahrge more. The service is not like I read on all the posted comments every where. Even they have a poor printed or photocopy from some TripAdvisor on the Front Desk, nothing to be proud of, since it looks fake, not dated, and with no certification, looks to allure customers to make believe they are top rated.
I visited this hotel like 7 years ago and still has the same decor, carpet, service , etc. I see that a lot of people are not road warriors or true travelers that can tell a good hotel from a bad one based on what I read on the comments or evaluations. The service on the restaurant was mediocre, the prices on the wine list, outrageuous, and the food not so great or make believe so great. Air conditioning noise, old, and dirty vents. The towels on bathroom looked like 7 years old or more. WIFI is only free on the dinner or front desk and with a terrible speed to work. On the rooms you have to pay for it, would not recommended, the speed is as bad as the dinner or front desk, you will waste your money. There are more options in Medellin, probably more expensive, but worth paying than being a saver. I went back because my distributor made the reservations but it will be last time I get fooled by that and I will choose other hotel. Do not be fooled by so many comments, like I said some people are not true road warriors and can't tell what true road warriors we look for.

Room Tip: The staff on the front desk do not really bother to get you a good room, even if you ask, like top f...