“Warning: under construction” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Laguito Calle 1a #1-60, Cartagena, Colombia   |
Ranked #29 of 116 hotels in Cartagena
“Warning: under construction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011 via mobile

This was our second stay here. The location is the only one there that has the pool so close to the beach. This way you can either stay at the pool or hang on the beach and be pestered by people selling you things every minute. The thing we didn't know is the place is under construction and by the looks of it, it will before moths to come. They are putting in a new elevator so the banging and dust is everywhere. Even though we complained about the noise excessively the manager didnt talk with us or compensate us in any way. It's too bad the customer service is bad in that way.

Other thing about Cartagena is the beaches are dirty and the people on the beach seem to not care about it and pollute themselves. There are straws, spoons, bottle caps, and general crap all over the place.

• Stayed December 2011

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The property boasts the most perfect part of the beach. No class locals offering sex , massages other items for sale. Try to be nice and they will continue to bother, if you are rude they will tell you to "[--]" yourself and threaten you. This is not the kind of crap I want to have to be subjected to on vacation. The maid asked why we did not take anything from the honor bar....didn't we like what was in there, if fact, we did not..she asked what we would like her to fill it with, we told her it was ok....but she insisted. Since we told her what we wanted, although we did not utilize anything from the honor bar, we were charged for it at checkout, we took them up to the room to show them there was noting opened, their response was, you asked for it.....................2 hours later....they decided to only charge us 80.00 instead of 232.00 originally charged. GOOD LUCK......HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE....only good thing was the tan...had to stay in the water or the prostitutes or the hustlers would bother you regardless of if you were with someone...very weird and unsafe.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Felipe R, E-Commerce Manager at Hotel Dann Cartagena, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your feedback and had take actions to improve the internal hotel mistakes.

Unfortunately beaches in Cartagena are not regulated and they are also public, this is the reason we are not able to control what is happening in our surroundings, what we have done is improve our communication with the police and inform them about the suggestions that our guest give to us; so tourist can have a better experience in Cartagena.
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed there for a night recently. Overall it was a good hotel, with a nice pool area and an upscale restaurant. The room was a little small though the bed was nice and the bathroom had modern amenities. Our room didn't have an iron and ironing board, which we had to call for. A much bigger gripe was the Air Conditioning. It was very weak and took an hour to get the room to a reasonable temperature. Still, it was a bit warm for sleeping. We asked to be moved to another room and were informed all rooms are about the same, so there was no point in switching rooms.

Because of that, I find it difficult to recommend this hotel. Which is a shame since everything else was done well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your feedback and had take actions to improve the maintenance of the Air Conditioning, so we are able to provide the right service at any time.

Hope to have you as frequently guest in our property so you can realize the changes we had made.

Best Regards,

E-Commerce Manager
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

I have been on this hotel by business and by vacations with family. On both circumstances my experience has been very positive.
Being with family I have took the all inclusive package which includes; room, meals, domestic liquors and beverages and snacks. My 3 years old loves the swimming pool as it has a child pool and a Jacuzzi, Water keeps warm all the time. Service specially towards my son has been superb, waitress jokes with him as treat him like a little gentleman.
When having there by business I just take the room and breakfast.
Rooms are spacious and clean. There are parking spots in front of hotel but few ones.
Internet is not free

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

The first night we were unfortunately placed in probably the worst room at the hotel...dark, dingy, smelled of mold, and with bars on the windows. The staff did warn us and promised to get us into a great room the next day. They were right. They helped us move to the penthouse early in the morning and the room was great. Big, nice view of the lagoon and a side view of the beach, clean, no mold smell and quiet, being on the penthouse level.

The pool was wonderful and to be right on the beach was great. Although the beach was public and we were accosted by peddlers selling and offering everything under the sun. No quiero nada! Breakfast was good and the juices were great. Nice selection of Colombian fruit juices.

The staff was very nice and helpful. I especially liked Elmirda (or is that her name?) who chatted with me during breakfast. So sweet and gracious and soft spoken.

Not a bad hotel but I certainly would rent a luxury condo the next time. Bad thing about the hotel? No free wifi. 25000 pesos for a whole day which isn't bad, but would've been nice to get it for free.

Room Tip: Be nice, and ask nicely.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I came for business, but unfortunate I had threats of miscarriage the first day I arrived. This happened in the evening. As a foreign traveling alone was scary. I called reception and they told me that the hotel has free medical service. Within 30 minutes two doctors arrived to my room and took me in their ambulance to one of the best hospitals in Cartagena. I was put in bed rest for a week. All staff was notified of my situation. Cleaning staff made sure I rested, I had everything I needed. Room service staff were so kind and thoughtful making sure I eat enough. Reception even ordered medicine for me. They treated me like a queen. I do not know what I would have done if I would have gotten sick in a big hotel in North America. Nobody would have cared about me. I am so pleased with the service I received this week. Thank you Hotel Dann for making my unfortunate situation so pleasant.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

The rooms are old and smells bad-all the equipment is very old.
You can smell the mold and that the hotel is extremly old....
The front desk is awfull-they don't have any solutions but to tell you we can't do anything!
When asking to speak with a manager he was "out of the city and they can't call him"
If you do order-ask for a renovated room (renovadad in spanish) otherwise stay away!
About the trip to Rosario\playa blanca-don't book through the hotel-it's 60000 pesos through the hotel and just 25000 for the same trip if you take a taxi to the harbor and do it on the spot (don't worry there are many boats just be there before 8:45 AM)
I recommend the big boats -the alcatraz if your life are important to you because the small boats has a little concern for you safety and run buy a group of stupid people!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Dann Cartagena? Share your experiences!