“Fantastic boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Quadrifolio

Save Saved
You added Hotel Quadrifolio to your Saves list
Hotel Quadrifolio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle del Cuartel No 36-118 | Historic Center, Cartagena, Colombia   |
Ranked #3 of 116 hotels in Cartagena
Tampa, Florida
“Fantastic boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hotel Quadrifolio is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. Everything about it is peaceful and quietly elegant. The staff are all invisible unless you need them, and then suddenly they are perfectly attentive and gracious. Staying here made me feel lucky to have found it.

Our hotel room was lovely, very high-ceilinged with very powerful air conditioning, an oasis in the hot, dirty city. The shower was one of the best I have ever had. My husband honestly had three showers to feel that rainforest deluge.

Breakfast is fantastic. Fresh fruit, local breads (yucca bread is so good) with cheese, and eggs any style. Yummy orange juice and coffee con leche.

Be aware that this is a boutique hotel, so taxi drivers won't necessarily know it by name. Bring the address or a map if you are wandering out of walking distance. Also, the pool is kept a little cool for my tastes, and the jacuzzi is unshaded -- don't go before it cools off a bit unless you want to burn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is another tough review to write. The hotel is truly beautiful, the ambience is perfect and the service is top notch. However, one has to consider the price tag and value for money. We stayed four nights at an average price of close to U$450/night with breakfast and I am gobsmacked at what you get in return.
The room certainly had charm but it was dark and very noisy. Don't expect a bath or anything out of the ordinary. The room was called a 'Junior Suite' which set expectations that weren't met. It is a standard room and has nothing in common with a suite.
You hear every word that is spoken in the courtyard. This is particularly troublesome when guests arrive since you can only get into the hotel by ringing the door bell and waiting for someone to let you in. This means you don't get a lot of rest.
The breakfast was very nice and so was the staff. I can't speak highly enough of them.
The problem here is the price. I realise that Cartagena is an expensive place but we have seen much better options. You do expect more when you pay world metropolis prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the courtyard if that is possible.
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hotel Quadrifolio is a jewel of a hotel in the bustling old city of Cartagena. On arrival, Gustavo ushered us into an attractive. air conditioned living room. His English was limited, but his smile spoke volumes. He immediately turned on the TV, which we thought was perhaps a welcome video. It was simply TV which we found amusing, and may reflect on American's viewing habits. We were served a refreshing, complimentary mint lemonade smoothie which was delicious! We enjoyed them even more a few nights later with the local dark rum "Ron Medellin" (not complimentary).

Most of the staff does speak English, and all were incredibly friendly and attentive. Anna, William, Stephanie, Virginia and Gustavo all made us feel like we were their only guests.

We were in room #1, the only room on the first floor. I was concerned about our privacy, as the pool was right outside our room as well as a common sitting area. Privacy was never a problem. The Hotel has only 8 rooms and we rarely ran into other guests. The pool is very small, and essentially indoors as it is on the first floor, but enough for a cooling plunge. Our room was spotless and very attractively appointed. We had loads of hot water once we realized the hot and cold knobs were reversed from that which we are accustomed. C is for caliente, hot in spanish! Our shower was open air, but completely private and even had a small garden adjacent to it. Every time we returned to our room, it had been tidied, a treat! The bed had lovely linens, and was especially comfortable. We slept soundly every night.

Wi-fi was spotty, but I was delighted to un-plug for a few days. The welcome packet in our room seemed comprehensive, but was exclusively in Spanish. I wish I had recommended they provide the same information in English.

On the second floor, in addition to guest rooms, there is a common sitting area with umbrella tables. There is also another large living room with a large screen TV and lots of DVDs in English. Another commentary on American's viewing habits? There is so much to do in the old city, I can't conceive of sitting in and watching a movie, but it's there.

There is a small roof deck with chairs and comfortable, cushioned built in couches. There is also a jacuzzi, not to be confused with a hot tub. The water is not hot, and can't be heated. It was the perfect spot for reading in the afternoon sun, and sharing a glass of wine before bed.

With it's stunning interior, attentive staff, and dreamy beds, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Cartagena.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

When the taxi pulled up to the hotel, the staff was waiting for us. "This is your home here," we were told. And they did everything to make us feel that. The hotel with its central courtyard is a beautiful oasis of calm in busy Cartagena. The rooms are spacious and clean and beautiful. After a long hot day walking in the city we returned to find a spray to soothe our tired feet. Every need is anticipated and met. Coffee brought to our room each morning. Towels packed for our day at the beach. Room keys and cold towels waiting for us when we got back from our excursions. Anna and William made every reservation, cocktail, and any other whim of ours was fulfilled. Breakfast was fresh and yummy every morning. Location perfect. We walked to everything easily. We hated to leave Cartagena, and in part that was due to this incredible hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
arrowatty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have traveled the world over and this hotel is one of the best small hotels we have ever stayed in. From the outside, there is not much to say about Quadrifolio, as the building is somewhat non-descript, although nicely restored even by Cartagena standards. Inside, it is an oasis. The designers have taken what apparently was a Sea Captain's home and turned it into a beautiful gem, centered around an interesting lobby, dining area, and pool area - with a running fountain and cistern pool making cool, soothing lapping sounds providing a great retreat from the outside heat. The room was spacious and well-appointed. What separates Quadrifolio from other places we have stayed is the service. Anna Maria's staff could not possibly been any nicer, from the moment you are greeted with cold, wet hand towels until your departure - as they practically follow you out the door with further directions about your stay. Special thanks to Anna, Virginia, and the rest of the staff. The hotel is centrally located - right in the middle of the historic district, but not in the middle of the busy shopping/dining area (which is just 2 blocks away). We had planned on staying at the Santa Clara, but chose Quadrifolio at the last middle. What a provident choice! Only negative was sporadic hot water for the shower. Otherwise, make sure that you get the breakfast arepa - it is amazing!

Room Tip: We had Room 2, which was perfect.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed here for 2 nights. We arrived early and they gave us suggestions for lunch nearby while they prepared the room ahead of standard check-in time. They also suggested a boat trip to the islands the next day which we booked. On the first night we ate at a restaurant they recommended nearby specialising in local food, and it was amazing... our trip to the island the next day was also really good... and we are glad we took their advice and booked it.

We we really impressed by how attentive they were... our room was always refreshed when we were out (multiple times a day)... we were given mint lemonade on arrival, and again several times during out stay... and the breakfast was really good... make sure you try the egg arepa!

We will definitely stay here again!

Riga, Latvia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

When I booked this hotel by calling the hotel and making a reservation by phone, I asked for room number 7 after reading the tips on tripadvisor and was told I would given that room. The woman asked me what time I would be arriving so the room could be ready and I said I wasn't sure as I would be arriving from Santa Marta and would leave when I got up. Later I received an email from the hotel confirming my reservation and they addressed me as Mr. despite my having made the reservation by phone and also asked me whether I wanted them to pick me up at the airport in Cartagena. This was my first hint that there was a lack of communication between the staff.

When I arrived I found out I had been given room 3 I immediately said I did not want it because they had said they would give me room 7 and room 3 had a open window in the bathroom and was very dark and small and a bit run down (broken toilet seat, weird black stuff - mold? on the fan, etc). She said I would have to pay 20,000 pesos more for room 7 but I didn't want to pay more as I felt it was unfair because they had originally said they would give me that money and then to ask for more money is taking advantage. She then said I could move to room 5 but that it was noisy because it overlooked the street and I said oh that is fine but as soon as I said that would be better than room 3, she then said oh they are painting that room, you can't move there. That was a complete lie as I was there and could clearly see they were not painting the room. I asked to speak a manager and was told since it was a Sunday the manager had a day off. I asked her to call the manager then as other boutique hotels have a manager available by phone if there are issues and she said she could not do that. I felt disappointed with my room and not being able to change so I said I would only stay one night and find another hotel for my remaining days.

The next day at breakfast a woman asked me how I liked the room and I found out Stephanie had not said anything to her so I had to repeat everything again and she said perhaps they would let me move to room 7. Then she said the manager was available and so after breakfast I went to talk to her and from outside the office I heard the manager yelling at the employee. I try to stay at places where employees are treated fairly and with respect and I feel this hotel treats their employees very poorly. Also the office where the employees sit was very hot and did not have air conditioning, presumably the hotel only puts air conditioning in areas where guests are but I also did not like that about the hotel. I had to repeat my story again and then the manager said that they had begun painting room 7 at 6:30AM that day which was another lie. Of course no hotel begins painting so early in the morning so as not to disturb guest. Moreover, later I also looked at that room and could see they were not doing anything to that room. I also disliked having to repeat myself again as at most hotels if there is a problem I would just have to say it once and then the employee would talk to someone and then when I talked to them again there would be a solution. I wouldn't have to repeat myself three times.

I had booked this hotel because it was my birthday so I wanted to treat myself on my birthday but instead had a bad experience. In a recent review I read that whenever people come back to the hotel, they are waiting with fresh lemonade but that did not happen for me and when I asked about that, they said they no longer do that. In addition to the problems with the broken toilet seat, the black stuff on the fan, the shampoo in my room had been used as it was only half full. I think their cost cutting is going too far.

I had a very poor experience here and suspect management must be writing a lot of the reviews. I made it quite clear when I checked out after one day I was very disappointed with the hotel and the manager didn't seem to care. I was really surprised at her attitude. If you stay at this hotel, I recommend you ask management to provide air conditioning for the reception office that the employees stay in as it made me very uncomfortable to see how they were treated.

The breakfast also was only mediocre in comparison to other boutique hotels in Colombia - no bacon, no cappuccinos, had to take breakfast by a certain time, etc.

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone. The photos on the website are very deceptive; they show the two best rooms. It is an extremely poor value but two of the rooms such as room 7 are much bigger and only cost a little more. If you can get room 7 perhaps it might be ok but even then it is a poor value and very poor service. Also i would not trust them if they say you can stay in a certain room as they may try to get more money out of you. I also really disliked management's poor treatment of employees - yelling at them, not providing air conditioning, etc so even if I had liked my room because of the poor treatment of employees I would not go back anyway.

Hotels in Bocagrande or in the northern part closer to the airport are much cheaper and you can swim at the beaches there and a taxi is only 6,000 pesos to the Historic Center. The beaches by the Historic Center are not swimmable ones; although the Quadrifolio is very close to the beach, you cannot use it at all. The pool at the hotel was not well maintained and the jacuzzi was also very dirty.

Room Tip: The hotel wanted more money than in my reservation. Most rooms are very dark and it is very poor va...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Quadrifolio? Share your experiences!