“Poor management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Quadrifolio

Save Saved
You added Hotel Quadrifolio to your Saves list
Hotel Quadrifolio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle del Cuartel No 36-118 | Historic Center, Cartagena, Colombia   |
Ranked #2 of 117 hotels in Cartagena
Riga, Latvia
“Poor management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

When I booked this hotel by calling the hotel and making a reservation by phone, I asked for room number 7 after reading the tips on tripadvisor and was told I would given that room. The woman asked me what time I would be arriving so the room could be ready and I said I wasn't sure as I would be arriving from Santa Marta and would leave when I got up. Later I received an email from the hotel confirming my reservation and they addressed me as Mr. despite my having made the reservation by phone and also asked me whether I wanted them to pick me up at the airport in Cartagena. This was my first hint that there was a lack of communication between the staff.

When I arrived I found out I had been given room 3 I immediately said I did not want it because they had said they would give me room 7 and room 3 had a open window in the bathroom and was very dark and small and a bit run down (broken toilet seat, weird black stuff - mold? on the fan, etc). She said I would have to pay 20,000 pesos more for room 7 but I didn't want to pay more as I felt it was unfair because they had originally said they would give me that money and then to ask for more money is taking advantage. She then said I could move to room 5 but that it was noisy because it overlooked the street and I said oh that is fine but as soon as I said that would be better than room 3, she then said oh they are painting that room, you can't move there. That was a complete lie as I was there and could clearly see they were not painting the room. I asked to speak a manager and was told since it was a Sunday the manager had a day off. I asked her to call the manager then as other boutique hotels have a manager available by phone if there are issues and she said she could not do that. I felt disappointed with my room and not being able to change so I said I would only stay one night and find another hotel for my remaining days.

The next day at breakfast a woman asked me how I liked the room and I found out Stephanie had not said anything to her so I had to repeat everything again and she said perhaps they would let me move to room 7. Then she said the manager was available and so after breakfast I went to talk to her and from outside the office I heard the manager yelling at the employee. I try to stay at places where employees are treated fairly and with respect and I feel this hotel treats their employees very poorly. Also the office where the employees sit was very hot and did not have air conditioning, presumably the hotel only puts air conditioning in areas where guests are but I also did not like that about the hotel. I had to repeat my story again and then the manager said that they had begun painting room 7 at 6:30AM that day which was another lie. Of course no hotel begins painting so early in the morning so as not to disturb guest. Moreover, later I also looked at that room and could see they were not doing anything to that room. I also disliked having to repeat myself again as at most hotels if there is a problem I would just have to say it once and then the employee would talk to someone and then when I talked to them again there would be a solution. I wouldn't have to repeat myself three times.

I had booked this hotel because it was my birthday so I wanted to treat myself on my birthday but instead had a bad experience. In a recent review I read that whenever people come back to the hotel, they are waiting with fresh lemonade but that did not happen for me and when I asked about that, they said they no longer do that. In addition to the problems with the broken toilet seat, the black stuff on the fan, the shampoo in my room had been used as it was only half full. I think their cost cutting is going too far.

I had a very poor experience here and suspect management must be writing a lot of the reviews. I made it quite clear when I checked out after one day I was very disappointed with the hotel and the manager didn't seem to care. I was really surprised at her attitude. If you stay at this hotel, I recommend you ask management to provide air conditioning for the reception office that the employees stay in as it made me very uncomfortable to see how they were treated.

The breakfast also was only mediocre in comparison to other boutique hotels in Colombia - no bacon, no cappuccinos, had to take breakfast by a certain time, etc.

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone. The photos on the website are very deceptive; they show the two best rooms. It is an extremely poor value but two of the rooms such as room 7 are much bigger and only cost a little more. If you can get room 7 perhaps it might be ok but even then it is a poor value and very poor service. Also i would not trust them if they say you can stay in a certain room as they may try to get more money out of you. I also really disliked management's poor treatment of employees - yelling at them, not providing air conditioning, etc so even if I had liked my room because of the poor treatment of employees I would not go back anyway.

Hotels in Bocagrande or in the northern part closer to the airport are much cheaper and you can swim at the beaches there and a taxi is only 6,000 pesos to the Historic Center. The beaches by the Historic Center are not swimmable ones; although the Quadrifolio is very close to the beach, you cannot use it at all. The pool at the hotel was not well maintained and the jacuzzi was also very dirty.

Room Tip: The hotel wanted more money than in my reservation. Most rooms are very dark and it is very poor va...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Don't even think about staying anywhere else! This hotel is perfect. The location cannot be beat, the staff we cannot thank enough for their wonderful service and hospitality (especially William, Jhon Fredy and Virginia), the property is serene and beautiful and the food was devine as well. They even arranged for a birthday cake to be in the room for my husband's 60th birthday. As if this were not enough, they put a Feliz Cumpleanos balloon and bottle of cologne with it as a gift. How very thoughtful!

They cannot do enough to make you feel at home and the housekeeping staff are like little fairies who attend to your room without you ever seeing them! This place is worth every penny spent and we would stay there again and again. Thank you Hotel Quadrifolio for a trip to remember!

Room Tip: Ask for room 5. It has a Juliet balcony on the street and a lovely sitting area right outside your...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

You must stay here, it is a lovely hotel. We had a fantastic room, the staff is super friendly and attentive and seem to sense your every need. We just left this morning and miss everyone already. You can walk everywhere from this hotel and if not they will arrange for tours and activities, none of which were disappointing. It is a peaceful oasis in such a busy city. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: Our room was over the kitchen (room #6) which did wake us up the first morning at 6 am (someone kep...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

There is absolutely no better place to stay in this wonderfull city. Hotel Quadrifolio has exceeded my expectations particularly due to it's attention to detail. Every time you get back to the hotel from a walk throught the warm streets, the friendly staff is waiting with a delicious mint lemonade to cool off. It's as if they knew you were coming.
The architecture of the hotel is completely coherent with the walled city and even though it resembles what it must have been like three hundred years ago, it has all the confort and luxury you need.
As mentioned in other reviews, breakfast is great and I would suggest you plan to dine in the hotel as it has exquisite cousine. We travelled with a big group and one night decided to stay in for dinner. After this experience we are sure there is no better restaurant in the city that can be compared to Quadrifolio's food, particularly for it's value.
We had a marvelous trip through cartagena's bay in Quadrifolio's boat and I strongly suggest you hire it for and ideal escape.
Rooms are very confortable, great size and beautiful deccor.
Most of all, the staff will go out of their way to satisfy your every need.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Much more than what I was expecting! Absolutely worth it! It has great service, wonderful room and delicious food. Quadrifolio offers all you need to visit Cartagena as you should. Its location in the middle of Old Town lets you walk at night to any place you like. If you go on a couple trip as mine, you will have the necessary privacy, but is seems like a great place for a family trip as well. It has big living rooms and dining rooms to share as a family.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Expectations were high when we checked into the Hotel Quadrifolio. The number one position on tripadvisor is a high hurdle to meet, and overall we loved the hotel, room, location and service (extremely good service). The one downside was the price, but since this hotel bills itself as a true five star hotel in Cartagena, and equivalent to the best hotel we’ve seen in Latin America – (we don’t feel a five star hotel in Europe or Asia can compare to one in most of Latin America) it truly was a five star experience.

From the moment of check in, every person at the front desk and kitchen went out of their way to assist us, whether it was booking a car to another part of the country, assisting us with complicated directions, organizing a day trip to a set of islands (comparing various tour companies) and graciously accepting and running with odd requests such as bagging up breakfast each morning so we could start our day and fill our water bottles, they happily assisted us with smiles and did so efficiently and quickly. In a sense, this was worth the price of the room, especially given one of us got very ill from food poisoning one day and they even offered to bring a doctor to the hotel.

Our room was exquisitely put together, with a phenomenal balcony overlooking the street and their local judicial court (so it was quite busy each weekday morning). The location of the hotel is obviously within the walled city, but closer to the water than it is to the city center (however that’s relative, given the walk to the city center is approximately three blocks and seven minutes).
We felt the customer service and attention to detail was the most impressive part of the hotel, given the roof deck and hot tub somewhat disappointed when compared to Hotel Passion. However the rooms were larger at Quadrifolio, the service far better and more attentive, the bathrooms nicer, the ambiance of the central courtyard better, and the food a step above other hotels we’ve experienced.

We really enjoyed our stay at Quadrifolio, and our only complaint would be it’s a tad too expensive but otherwise is the place to stay for great rooms, food, amazing service and generally a safe, pleasant place to stay when in Cartagena.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a hotel with a balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The hotel has an excelent location right is in the midle of the old town.

The rooms and social areas are also prime, as well as all the services , you real feel very confortable there

The only thing to pay atention is that are some rooms wich wcs comunicate directly to an open space ( they don't have windows for this attrium), and so all the noises ( Exemple hair drier) in the level 0 room are easily heard on the level 1 room, what can be very hard if your neighbours awake very early

Room Tip: Avoid a room that has a common attrium in the wcs
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Quadrifolio? Share your experiences!