“Nicest pool!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Passion Hotel Lounge

You added La Passion Hotel Lounge to your Saves list
La Passion Hotel Lounge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Estanco del Tabaco #35 - 81 | Centro Historico, Cartagena 13001, Colombia   |
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Cartagena
Santiago, Chile
“Nicest pool!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The rooms are nice but nothing spectacular, but the roof terrace is worth all you have paid. The pool is amazing, the view is very nice and the landscape is awesome! The breakfast is ok and we didn't eat anything else so I can't say anything more about the food. Honestly, it is completly worth it if the pool is one of your priorities, you can relax there as long as you want. We stayed in suite number 10 which has the shower outside in a kind of balcony, it was beautiful! Location is another plus, you are in the heart of the walled city. Grest hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Trondheim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is probably the most beautiful and poetic hotel I've ever been to. But it's a fading beauty. The rooms are big and beautifully decorated although one may sense that little has been done since it opened. As other reviewers have noted, it's a quirky hotel, hard to find unless you know the direction as it's very discreet in the street. Consider it as a secret hideaway. If you don't like cats this might not be the place for you as the hotel has its own cat that pretty much does whatever it wants. There's a boat in the rooftop pool which feels like a slab of the mediterranean has landed in the caribbean.. which I guess sums up Cartagena itself. And given the city that it's namesake in Spain refers to, the north-african themed furniture and decor makes sense too. As others have mentioned there's a dance school opposite of the north side of the hotel. It didn't bother us at all, rather it felt like it was a part of the hotel, lending to it's peculiar and romantic atmosphere.
The hotel has no restaurant but there's plenty to choose from nearby so no need for that. The breakfast seems to be of the standard you'll get all over Colombia albeit slightly upgraded (Fruits, fresh juice, eggs (scrambled or cooked), toast and marmelade.)

Each room has its own decoder for the cable tv, which results in more than one remote control needed, something that might be a bit cumbersome. It didn't work when we came either, but that got sorted out early. The showers also have a slightly low water pressure so the bath tub seems like it's mostly for decoration. If you want a warm shower it takes time for it to get warm, but remember, this is Cartagena, it's really hot there.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 5 which has windows towards the street. It's not very quiet but not very nois...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in La Passion and had a wonderful stay. This old palace takes you back in time. The owners are lovely and did so much for us to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The pool on the roof is the real gem here and we spent most afternoons with the whole thing to ourselves and cooled off from the city heat. The restaurants the girl at front desk recommended where great, Milla and 8-18. Old school charm within an amazing building and little quirks like borrowing panama hats and room colours rather than numbers. If you want to stay in real Cartegena then stay here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our 5th year aniversary in Cartagena. We stayed at La Passion boutique hotel and we had an Amazing experience. The hotel has so much history and si so beautiful. Is a romantic, place and it definitely takes you back in time. The decoration is interesting, edgy and beautiful. My husband and I refused to stay at hotel with "standard" rooms. We wanted to expierience something different, something that is not like home and we found la passion hotel delivered what we wanted. Is colorful, with a fantastic location. The hotel has an amazing pool that is VERY mUCh necessary in Cartagena. The heat and humidity will take every bit of energy out of your body and the pool is the perfect way to cool off. The staff is very nice and they offer great service with a caribean charm that males
Everything better. They made me feel
Like family and always were very attentive. If you want to experience something different, I recommend you stay here!!

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

It doesn't look much from the outside, but the large door gives way to a beautiful colonial Spanish house around a lovely courtyard. Best of all is the swimming pool on the roof. We stayed in the room on the ground floor. This only had windows that looked out onto the courtyard, so if you'd like privacy and natural light, go for one of the rooms on the upper floor. The outside shower was great though and the room very well appointed. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed at La Passion the night before our wedding, our wedding night and the night after. It is a beautiful old building that has been incredibly restored and very tastefully and artfully decorated. Thierry, the owner, couldn't be nicer. He happily allowed us to have the photographer and videographer in our room and to do some photos throughout the hotel on the day of our wedding. The staff also sent us a bottle of champagne when we were getting ready! The pool on the roof is such a treat. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great...plenty of hot water. It is in a fantastic location, right in the center of everything. I think this is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in and I hope to come back to it for years to come.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I had 5 nights at La Passion - not only was it the most expensive place that I stayed during my month ago, it was the most disappointing and the least satisfactory, given I was so looking forward to it as my splurge - and I had booked one of the more expensive junior suites.

I have limited Spanish, so it was a challenge that none of the staff spoke any English (though miraculously one of the staff who told me she didn't speak English on my first day, had learnt English by my final day to ask me the price of ipads and iphones in my country - another guest told me that he had had the same experience too!)

I arrived late one evening and when I rang the buzzer to be let in, was asked in Spanish what I wanted. I advised I had a reservation, but this was denied. Eventually, she made a call and I spoke to someone in English, who said yes I did have a booking and I then found my name in the register for the 5 nights.

The hotel itself has character and charm, but sadly, the charm is fading, as the hotel is run down and needs attention - and more than just a paint of coat. My room, for the price was disappointing. Room 10 - avoid - it felt like a prison cell. My booking sheet stipulated I had a balcony. There was no balcony, nor really any windows, so it was claustrophobic and dark. There were doors to an outside mouldy shower area, which was in more of a good clean and attention, than the room. I picked up some foot fungal infection in that shower. Strangely enough, shampoo was provided (sometimes), but there was never any soap or shower gel.

Had the staff spoken some English, I would have asked where my room with a balcony was - even some windows in the room would have been nice, or even asked to move rooms, as there were very few people staying at the hotel. I felt stuck and ripped off to be honest. I checked to see whether the other 2 hotels that I had been considering had any vacancies, but they were both full, as I would have gladly moved on.

Front desk were not able to provide any assistance - for instance, they didn't even have any maps of Cartagena, something you would expect from the most basic hotel. I was also told Cartagena had no places to get laundry done, so I would have to use the (expensive) hotel laundry service. I didn't believe this for a moment and found a nearby laundry just by asking a lady vendor in the street.

It was only on my second last day that I met the owner, who spoke fluent English - by then I was resigned to my room and the situation, so let it pass. If I'd met him on my first morning, things would have been different.

The one plus for the hotel is the roof top area, where there is a pool and a nice breakfast area, where a good breakfast is served by Jose, the one friendly member of the staff. If not for this, I would have rated this hotel as "poor".

To add insult to injury a 10% tip is added to the bill supposedly for the staff, which I reluctantly paid (reconciling myself that the cheerful Jose had earned it), somewhat ironically for the lowest level of service I had received at any time during my month in South America and at the most expensive place.

This hotel deserves to be, and could be so much more with some money spent on it and some attention to detail - sad really.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 which is marketed as a junior suite
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to La Passion Hotel Lounge? Share your experiences!