When we booked this hotel we thought it was too good to be true, but hoped for the best. Imagine how shocked we were to arrive and discover it was actually better than we could have ever anticipated! The hotel is beautiful, a large old house that was obviously recently remodeled with a lot of love and attention to detail. Our room was absolutely gorgeous, with a big comfy bed, awesome walk-in shower, and balcony overlooking the street below. We loved spending time on the roof, which includes a great view of the neighborhood, a small but warm pool that gets great morning sun, ample seating, and a fantastic sound system (including an ipod stocked with ambient music, or a hookup for your own). Because the hotel is so small (only three rooms) it is a very intimate experience, and it feels like staying with family. We also cannot give enough compliments to the staff -- they were warm and inviting, so helpful with advice and recommendations (and accommodating us the day we left, even though our flight wasn't until 10pm), and served the freshest and most delicious breakfast every day.
A final note -- everyone says it's important to stay inside the walled city, so we were a little nervous that this seemed to be outside of it. However, we could not have been happier with the neighborhood. It is still very historical and colorful, but also a little more bohemian -- lots of cool street art and interesting bars, restaurants, and galleries. This hotel is also right off the main square of Getsemani, which in our short stay managed to hold a number of events, including a jazz and dance festival and free zumba and salsa classes. The plaza is filled with street food vendors and locals selling water, beers, fresh juices, and mixed drinks, and was a great place to just hang out, people watch, and meet other travelers and locals.
Honestly the only bad thing I can think of is that this hotel is not my actual house. I realize this review may make me sound like a raving lunatic, but after one night in this hotel you will totally get where I'm coming from.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa EL Carretero is a colonial boutique hotel located in the historical neighborhood of El Getsemani in the city of Cartagena, Colombia. The vision was to create an Indonesian oasis in a century old Spanish colonial home with all the comforts of XXI century living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Casa El Carretero reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa El Carretero Cartagena
- Casa El Carretero Hotel Cartagena