“Mi casa es su casa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel

Save Saved
You added Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel to your Saves list
Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle segunda de Badillo #36-125 | Centro, Cartagena 123, Colombia   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE AIRPORT PICK-UP
Ranked #14 of 116 hotels in Cartagena
Helsinki, Finland
“Mi casa es su casa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

After a long trip from Finland to Cartagena I stayed in this small idyllic hotel 4 nights in July. The location is great for exploring the old town of Cartagena. There are many nice restaurants close to the hotel - try La Cocina Carmela which is fantastic!. The hotel itself is very well maintained, rooms are clean and bathrooms quite spacious and the shower had good water pressure. The hotel has a small rooftop pool with nice view over the city where you can relax after hot and humid walking trip to the city. The lobby and breakfast patio are stylish with small nice details like waterfall on the wall of the inner patio. Staff at the hotel is great, really friendly people and made the stay even more comfortable. All together a great visit, keep up the good work Geoff! And give my best to the true Madam of the house, the Yorkie Susie. Best regards, Tomi

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights in August 2010. I prepaid on the website which was a significant saving to expedia and other web search engines. The website lets you know the rate does not include a 'voluntary' service charge (4% as discussed at length in other reviews) or insurance of COP 5,000 per night. I found out later the insurance is mandated for all hotels in Colombia and covers the hotels' public liability in the event of a guest accident. (I also paid for my flights to/from Bogota directly to the aerorepublica website which was also significantly cheaper than booking in the US.)

Very friendly welcome at check in and I got a room on the second floor which was courtyard facing and very quiet. I would not recommend rooms on the first floor if you intend to sleep in, as breakfast is served right outside these rooms. But I believe they are less expensive.

Since I had just arrived from LA and was crazy jetlagged, I decided to have a quick nap, then went up to check out the 'pool' on the top floor. It's more the size of a large jacuzzi, but enough to cool off and there's a lovely view from the terrace over Cartagena and a covered area to relax on the pool chairs, feel the dense hot air and listen to the chaos of Cartagena down below.

After a day's sightseeing, got back to the hotel and turned on the excellent airconditioner which quickly cooled the room right down. Such a relief as Cartagena has pretty intense heat and good aircon is a must. One of the surprising things is the lack of window screens in Cartagena. I guess it's not something that is customary, but with the number of bugs around, I assumed most shops, restaurants and hotels would have them. I found a couple of mosquitoes in my room even with the doors and windows closed and fortunately the front desk had plenty of bug spray to help get rid of them. I would also suggest anyone visiting Cartagena take a plug-in insect repellant to sleep with a little more peace of mind. Colombia uses the same plug style as the US.

The room also had a great flatscreen TV and DirectTV with lots of English and Spanish channels with a bunch of movie options (or Colombian telenovelas!)

Breakfast was a good choice of omlettes and cereal which was a tasty start to the day, and there's an espresso machine to grab a quick pick-me-up to face the heat of the day.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and for the price, Casa La Fe provided the best accommodation in the right location for a very comfortable and enjoyable stay in Cartagena.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
casalafecartagena, Owner at Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
This client saved 25% by booking directly with the hotel.
Cartagena, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Captain Geoff picked us up at our hotel and we sailed around the harbor and then to
Boca Chica where we stopped for an incredible al fresco seafood experience

Captain Geoff was an engaging and informative host. We didn't want the day to end.

We already planning our next trip with Captain Geoff. We had a great time in Cartagena but this was the highlight

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here recently and were delighted to find the hotel was even better than it appeared in the photos. The staff were attentive, professional and friendly. Location is superb, you step straight off a busy city-center street into a nice quiet hideaway with patio and garden. Our air conditioner was efficient but it shut it down automatically whenever we left the room. We asked the night porter to switch ours on in the evening just ahead of our return so we had a cold room and there was never any problem with this arrangement. My only complaint would be the cable TV picture quality which was mediocre. The owner told me he had a continual battle with the cable company over this and was about to install satellite TV

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
casalafecartagena, Owner at Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Casa La Fe now has satellite TV (100 plus digital channels) installed in all bedrooms.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My fiancee, myself and our entire wedding party stayed at Casa La Fe during my wedding weekend and had a wonderful time. It is my third time at the hotel and each experience has been perfect. The rooms are nicely furnished with modern touches (flat screen tv) and the entire hotel has an old Cartagena charm typified by its open courtyard running through it's center.

The hotel's location is perfect. Very quiet in a lovely park, but close to the action.

Monica and Naomi and the entire staff was very courteous and helpful. Breakfast is consistently good and has a nice variety of menu selections to choose from. As a coffee addict, I really appreciate the instatn expresso machine in the lobby.

Only one note of caution -- the pool is very small. Don't expect to swim. Wading is more like it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I stayed in Casa La Fe last December with friends. We were lucky enough to stay in the room at the top of the house which was absolutely stunning (book it if you can, it's worth the extra money!). It was an amazing wood panelled room with double height ceiling and a balcony which overlooks a small town square. I honestly couldn't fault our stay here. The staff were brilliantly helpful and the overall the quality of the stay for the amount we paid was great value. It also feels really secure: There was a security person on the gated front door 24 hours a day, which felt safe without feeling OTT. I was staying with another female friend and we were made to feel really safe and welcome. The hotel is actually an old house set around a lovely courtyard where you eat breakfast. I would definitely recommend Casa La Fe, it's part of the great memories I have of a great holiday. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

With an air conditioning unit that had not been clean since the millennium. There was so much mold and dirt and pollen, that when I turned it on, I could barely breath. The whole hotel smells of mold, a sure sign of neglect.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
casalafecartagena, Owner at Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
The client had an issue with allergies supposedly caused by the room air conditioner, although all our units are cleaned (and finned tubing pressure washed) on a monthly basis with logged records. The hotel had an issue with the client smoking in the bedroom. Relationships between client and staff deteriorated to the point where early check -out by the client was the only solution.

Been to Casa La Fe - a Kali Hotel? Share your experiences!