“Good property for experiencing Cartagena” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Capilla del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Capilla del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Capilla del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bocagrande, Carrera 1ra. No. 8 -12, Cartagena 3939, Colombia (Formerly Capilla del Mar Global Hotel)   |
Ranked #39 of 116 hotels in Cartagena
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Good property for experiencing Cartagena”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Capilla del Mar is directly overlooking Bocagrande Beach, and was only a short cab ride from the Walled City. Almost all staff we encountered spoke English and they were very helpful in answering questions or making recommendations. The room itself was spacious with a great balcony; furniture was perhaps a bit past its prime, but this wasn't a bother. Breakfast was good, and there was always coffee available in the lobby.

A few drawbacks: while we were in town, the pool was closed for a private function. Also, the bar on the 21st floor is a fun place (albeit loud) to hang out. On our second evening there, though, the bartender charged me for a very expensive whiskey and claimed to have not understood my request, despite me specifically saying the name of the cheaper whiskey and pointing to it on the menu. In that situation, I would have expected the bartender to side with the customer and simply mark down the price, but instead I gave up and just paid.

The hotel always had a security presence at the front door; I would have preferred, though, if that presence was expanded to the entire parking lot. As soon as we stepped down from the front porch, we were approached by locals trying to sell us crafts or services and in one case--rather uncomfortably--trying to get us to let them drive us around.

If I was visiting Cartagena again, I would probably stay in the Walled City, but for this area the accommodations were very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

617 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

At first when I made the reservation, I felt the hotel was over price, but when I arrived I felt much much better to find out that is hotel iis well worth the price.
Beautiful rooms with a view, great maintenance staff service, 24 hours hotel security, lots and lots of amenities like I had never seen before.
I will definetaly stay at this Hotel again.

NOTE: I have been working in the hotel industry for over 20 years, I highly recomend this hotel as your vacation destination.

Martin Hernandez

Room Tip: A lot of the times when we travel we look for the most inespensive hotel to stay, but often we encou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Suggestions:

Improve fitness studio. Lacks of equipment.
Swimming pool too small.
Make bar modern of the 21st floor.

It would've been a lot more useful for hotel customers if the service here can accommodate English moreover understanding of the variousness in dietary requirement; such as vegetarian and vegan. Gracias !

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Construction on the left side and back of the hotel. Tall buildings around the hotel interrupting the view.. We were staying for almost 2 weeks and the reception first offered and showed us a better room (with full ocean view) but decided not to change us as we then would have had to swift room for the last 5 days- but we didn't mind so we think that the reception showed no flexibility.
The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. Small pool and sun beds on roof top - not at all crowded. Beach area nothing special - sand (but not white) and waves (but not turquoise). There is a heavy trafficked road between the hotel and the beach. The sidewalks for pedestrian are either non existing or in a bad shape. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to families with small children or disabled persons.

Room Tip: Front rooms are best
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Canadian at large
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Mixed reviews of this hotel by our trip advisor community should have stopped us.

Our room was just basic, to put it mildly: Spacious enough but was drab and smelled damp all the time. It was also loud with outside voices echoing off the granite floors. They broadcast music in the hallways during the day.

Staff was unhelpful, indifferent, and lazy. Breakfast was just barely adequate for a hotel fancying itself to be above the cut.

The pool is very small. The beach across the street is just awful: dirty, unpleasant and loud with pesty vendors.

If we had not paid up in advance we would have left as soon as we saw our room.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 2 days with my husband and we frankly felt that the rooms were very basic. The quality of the rooms and furnishing did not match the priced paid. While rooms were clean, it was old and not well maintained. Location was good and staff were always lovely. They saved the stay. Unfortunately I would not go back to this hotel in a hurry.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this place for 4 nights in November, and I had a very good stay. The biggest positives about this place were the location right across from the beach, the huge rooom size, and the incredible view I had from my balcony. My room had two bathrooms, a living room, and bedroom, and a large balcony. The room category that I was in was sort of in the middle, it wasn't their cheapest room, but it wasn't their most expensive room either.

The room was a little dated, especially the bathroom, but not so much so that I felt I was staying in an old place. We did have problems with the shower on our first night and reported it to the front desk. A maintenance man was at our room within 15 minutes, and repaired the shower within an hour. It was good to see they were quick to resolve a problem when needed.

Bocagrande beach was not very appealing, I did not even go to Bocagrande beach except for taking a walk. If you want a nice beach, take a day trip to Playa Blanca, it's well worth it. I enjoyed the rooftop pool, the 360 degree views of the bay, the ocean, and the city were spectacular. Of course they had a full bar up there which is great. The pool is small, but it was not crowded when I was up there. Not much shade up there, so I hope you like the sun.

The colonial city was a short inexpensive cab ride away from the hotel. The are plenty of restaurants, shops, and fast food places within walking distance of the hotel as well, but I mostly ate at places around the colonial city. I enjoyed my stay here, and in Cartagena itself, but one thing I must point out to all you English speakers is that Cartagena does not have enough English speaking people in their tourism industry, so if you are not with someone who speaks Spanish (I was with someone who spoke Spanish) you might have a tough go of it communicating with people, even at the hotel. But don't let this discourage you, I certainly would return to Cartagena even without a Spanish speaking person, I had a great time in Cartagena.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Capilla del Mar? Share your experiences!