“a good option brand new hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
HHonors Weekend Special
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Cartagena
Mississauga, Canada
“a good option brand new hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at the hotel recently.
Nice brand new modern super clean hotel, very well laid out and well constructed for the Cartagena climate so unlike other hotels in the area which suffer from air leakage making one feel as though the air conditioning can barely keep up, this hotel is quiet and very comfortable. Breakfast was very good and included real eggs and fresh fruit although the instant coffee machine in the land of world famous coffee, was a disappointment. I do not understand why the hotel had no bell boys. The hotel lobby is actually on the 16th floor and the street entrance had no greeter or bellboy present to assist guests with their baggage. No luggage carts were available either. A hotel of this calibre should have bell boys.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Juan Manuel Q, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
@andy_bbq We are very glad to know that you enjoyed the physical condition of our hotel as well as our breakfast. We thank you very much for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future here at your home in Cartagena. Have a nice day!

Hampton by Hilton Cartagena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I came on vacation here with three of my friends and we were accommodated in connecting rooms on the highest floor. One of the rooms was upgraded to a room with a sofa pullout bed, which was great for hanging out in the room. The rooms were spacious, clean, and well appointed. Loved, loved the shower! We had breakfast everyday and the staff there were very nice and helpful, especially Johan. Jessica at the front desk spoke English, Spanish and Italian and gave us great recommendations for our vacation. Couldn't have been more pleased with our 7 day stay! Thank you so much Hampton Inn for making our Cartagena experience!

Room Tip: We loved our room on the 15th floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
@ECN415 We are very happy to know that you were pleased with your week long stay with us and that you really liked your room on the 15th floor. Johan and Jessica say hi and the whole team looks forward to seeing you again in Cartagena!

Sidcup, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great location for exploring the area and only 100m from the beach. A warm welcome was given to myself and my colleagues and without too much fuss. Rooms are large enough to open a large case and pull out belongings without crowding the room. Complimentary items in the room and bathroom are minimal but as the hotel is new all the utilities worked beautifully. Breakfast is very basic but does have hot and cold items.....if you were here for more than 3 days you probably might want to eat someplace else for breakfast, just to see something different. The pool on the roof is just for dipping really as its so small, its not for exercising in!!!, but having the small roof terrace is quite a nice thing with pop music to add to the atmosphere. Many good restaurants nearby but the old walled city is the jewel in the crown for good choice of foods.
For a couple of reasonably cheap nights and great location this could be all what budget aware travellers need.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Juan Manuel Q, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
@Elise P Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience at our hotel! We are very happy to hear that you were satisfied with our room and services, and that our hotel proved to be a great value for you in your visit to Cartagena.

We hope that you come back to visit us soon, and please know that you always have a home with us here!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is brand new, clean, modern and simple! Great price and you get the basic services for a short stay or business travel. Self service for the most part. Loved that the elevator only works with your key, which is great for privacy and safety. Excellent service, lots of info provided at the front desk and if you book a tour at the travel agency downstairs you get 5% off just for being guest at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
@Mamihot Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive and detailed comment about our service on TripAdvisor! Each and every one of our services is designed with our guests’ satisfaction, security, and tranquility in mind.

Please remember that we are always here to offer you our best.

Have a great day,

JMQ
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

A few weeks before arriving, I emailed the general manager of the hotel to request a quiet room and less than a day later, I had a response from Jessica, the assistant manager (and a very helpful and friendly one at that!), confirming it and asking if there was anything else I needed. This is the quickest I've EVER heard back from a hotel!

Check in is really cool - on the 17th floor of the hotel with ceiling sized windows on the entire floor. The woman who checked me in was very friendly and explained the Hampton policy where if you are not satisfied, you don't pay. There was a note in the system about my request and she immediately told me the room I requested was ready.

The hotel is new so all the rooms are modern with new furniture and fixtures. Bathroom was a very nice size with a huge walk-in shower. Best of all was the bed. Not only was it extremely comfortable but they even give you two choices of pillow - firm or soft. Keep in mind also Cartagena is very hot and humid so you will want a hotel with good air conditioning. Well this hotel had it! I slept like a baby at a perfect temperature. They even had great blackout curtains to keep the sun out in the morning.

Breakfast was a nice buffet with scrambled eggs, sausages (mini-hot dogs), mini empanadas, cereals, a variety of local fruits and several choices of juice, plus coffee and tea. The breakfast is served in the lobby area so you have a great view of the city and ocean while you eat.

The front desk can also help arrange tours to Playa Blanca, a beautiful beach on a nearby island. It can be a nightmare if you book on your own so this service was very much appreciated. It was actually Jessica who helped me with this.

When I checked out, I asked for a late checkout for 1 pm (the normal checkout is 12). The front desk agent not only told me it was no problem but said I could even stay until 2 if I wanted!. This type of "above and beyond" service made this a very, very pleasant stay for me and I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cartagena. An added bonus is that the rooms were very affordable for this level hotel.

A final thing about the location. It's in the Bocagrande neighborhood, where many of the hotels and nightlife are (but don't worry about noise. The room windows are double glazed and I never heard anything from the outside). It's just a block from the beach and a 5,000 peso (about $2.50 US) taxi to the Old City, making it an ideal location. Just around the corner from the hotel are fast food restaurants, a big supermarket and some nice local restaurants/bars.

Room Tip: I had room 1407, which was a nice quiet room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Juan Manuel Q, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
@matthewfromct Thank you so much for this detailed comment about our services on TripAdvisor. It is very important for us to know the opinions of our guests, seeing as we strive to provide the best service possible every day, and as you said, always go above and beyond for our guests. It was a pleasure to have you with us in our hotel, that will also now be known as your home away from home in Cartagena! Thanks again,

Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I only stayed one night on business purposes and this is my experience:
1. The hotel is located in a new building in the neighborhood of Boca Grande (the traditional tourist zone in Cartagena) right between Carrera 1 and San Martin Avenue, so it doesn’t face the ocean but is literally 50 steps away from the beach
2. By the time of my stay (May 21st/13) the commercial spots in the first floor were still closed and with people working on them, but still it felt safe although the street was a little dark for my standards
3. I’ve got to say it was funny the first time to learn that the lobby is located on the 16th floor so don’t expect too much when you enter the building (just elevators, luggage deposit and a couple of doors that I didn’t find out what they were for). However when entering the lobby, you’ll find a nice and cozy space were the staff will be there to help.
4. Hotel staff is not only nice, they really try to run the extra mile, to make you feel comfortable and to provide you with an excellent stay. Actually I met the hotel manager during breakfast (before leaving the hotel), and he asked about my stay, my expectations, my experience. He was really interested in knowing my thoughts
5. I used the gym (floor 17th), small but well equipped (even towels, water dispenser) and a nice view to the city thanks to its floor to ceiling windows
6. The pool wasn’t at service that day, and unfortunately for us business travelers it’s opened only from 9 to 5. A real shame, I believe the hotel could review this policy
7. The room is pretty basic but comfortable, I wish it were bigger but to be fair it didn’t feel crowded at all. Good bed, small desktop, nice closet and bathroom with shower (no tube). The shower floor felt a little bit slippery (I told the manager in my breakfast chat) and he said he was aware of the situation. I hope that after they finish the latest construction details they’re able to fix it somehow.

As a business traveler I sleep around 40 nights a year in hotel rooms in around 12 different cities in Latin America. So I’ve learned to keep my standards high while still maintaining a good balance between cost, amenities and service. Although small independent hotels can sometimes surprise you real nice, I’ve always preferred renowned chains (national or international) both for business and personal trips. If you’re looking for a good hotel, comfortable, with superior service, that’s safe, clean and well located that offers an excellent value for money ratio I definitely recommend you try the Hampton in Cartagena, you won’t regret your decision.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Juan Manuel Q, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
@pipecardona We are pleased to know that that the night you stayed with us was of your satisfaction. We will always be there to go that extra mile and we look forward to seeing you again soon here at you home away from home in Cartagena. Have a great afternoon!

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were there from May 23rd-May 30th and I would have to say the hotel was the best part of the stay! Jessica, the assistant general manager, was super. Hey Jessica! She coordinated with my husband to arrange for our transportation to and from the airport. The rest of staff was awesome as well! On many occasions members of the staff ordered food for my son and I! We met Juan, the general manager and he was really nice! Hey Juan! The breakfast provided every morning was tasty. Loved the pool and the view. Just a bummer that the pool closed at 5pm but can understand why after it was explained to my son and I. Not if, but when we travel back to Cartagena we will no doubt be staying at the Hampton by Hilton in Cartagena. Mucho Gracias!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Juan Manuel Q, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
@Bernie Y My name is Juan Manuel Quijano, General Manager at the Hampton by Hilton Cartagena. I want to sincerely thank you for your review because what you tell us is what is most important to us. That is your satisfaction and all our team here at the hotel really appreciates your comment. And we will be waiting for you when you decide to come back to Cartagena. You know we are your home away from home. Have a great day!

Been to Hampton by Hilton Cartagena? Share your experiences!