“Excellent Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Toribio

You added Hotel Santo Toribio to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Toribio
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Centro Historico Cll 2da de Badillo | #36-87, Cartagena 130001, Colombia   |
Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Cartagena
San Jose, CA
“Excellent Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Hotel Santa Toribio is excellent, stylish, boutique hotel in Old Town Cartagena. The location is great in that it is near many restaurants and and Cartagena sites. The hotel was very tastefully and stylish done while also keeping the Old Town Cartagena charm. The room we stayed in (Buganvilla) was very clean and quite. The breakfasts in the morning were well prepared and very good. The staff was very helpful in contacting the bus service for our bus trip to Santa Marta and providing us the directions to ATMs. At the top of the hotel, there is a very nice outdoor area/lounge to relax, which is great for a drink/glass of wine in the evenings. There is also a “hot tub” in this area as well, although the the water is mainly cool as it is so warm in Cartagena. I highly recommend Hotel Santa Toribio for anyone staying in Old Town Cartagena.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are a better location.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the hotel for a night. Bed was a king and very comfortable, the bathroom was brand new and very tastefully done. The entire hotel is built into an original home from 200 years ago and has been updated throughout and is well thought out. I think they have 8 rooms total so it is a very small boutique hotel. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a luxury private get away.

Centrally located in the old city.

Also, you should try the food. I ate out many times only to find that the restaurant in the hotel was one of the best I had tried.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This new boutique hotel has a very good location if you like to stay in the historic part of Cartagena. Restaurant, night clubs and tourist areas. My room was small but well design and comfortable. Employees are friendly and helpful. The cleanest of the hotel was average maybe because it was a construction going on at the hotel. Front desk people are vey knowledgeable..I was surprise that I wasn't charge hotel tax for my stayed. I live overseas but I'm Colombian so I don't pay hotel taxes. Most of the time I have to explain the law to hotels. Breakfast was very tasteful…specially the "Arepa con huevo" Over all I had a good experience but I think is a little over price for what the have to offer.

Room Tip: Pick upper floor rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel in early September for 5 nights. We reserved one of the upstairs rooms (Deluxe) based off of some of the reviews on the website. We had recommendations to many other great hotels but the prices in Cartagena are quite high if you want one of the top hotels. After much research I stumbled upon this hotel and decided to give it a try. It's a quaint little 8 room hotel nestled in the old town of Cartagena. At first glance our room seemed smaller than what I was expecting despite it being the deluxe room. I was not super impressed at first but the room grew on me as we got to know it a bit. The room itself we came to realize was super quite despite the hustle and bustle ride outside on the streets of Cartagena - we slept like babies because of this. I had hoped for a little balcony which was in the description but what we had was a balcony that was mainly for show and not for use. It faced into the hotel and not out to the street as I had hoped. None the less the privacy factor ended up being a nice thing in the end.
The staff was super helpful and very nice -- they have limited English so will help if you speak Spanish - we do so we got by fine but there were others staying in the hotel that we ended up helping a bit with translations. That is probably where they lack the 5 star rating as they should have bilingual employees. While they were nice and helpful 1 of the tours they recommended (Isla de la Pirata) was kind of lame and one of the restaurants (Cande) was bad enough to return my girlfriends plate (old/bad fish). Isla de la Pirata was a tiny island which would be great except that you can not escape the guys trying to sell you the same necklaces over an over. Talk about being annoyed all day on an all day trip. There is no where to hide. You pay more as well - lunch was decent though. Cande was a local restaurant which we were excited about but my girlfriends tuna tasted like it was caught a month earlier..unedible. We returned it and my girlfriend felt sick and didn't want to order anything else. They were accommodating and took it off our bill but we probably wouldn't go back.
Overall Hotel Santo Toribio is a great place and an excellent place for couples. We received breakfast in bed almost daily - we ate downstairs a few times too and the food was very good. There is also a jacuzzi on the roof which we had to ourselves on a few occasions...great after walking the scorching hot streets of Cartagena. This hotel has potential in the future to up their game and get better..they have a great foundation and we would stay there again and recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We really liked this hotel. The location is great, right in the old part of Cartagena. When you take the taxi there from the airport it helps to tell the driver that it's near the Santo Toribio church, as the will typically know where this is. The hotel's about a block away from there, though you've got to look out for the sign as its very subtle.

They initially put us in the basement room, which is not good. It only has one window, which is actually the door opening to the central courtyard where the staff prepares breakfast and a couple of breakfast tables are set up. The room was very stuffy and smelled heavily of cleaning products. We asked to move to a different room, and we're shown to a room on the top floor, which was much, much better. This room was about the same size, but opened to the top of the courtyard instead and felt much less closed in. The room itself was of good size, very clean and had a nice bathroom.

Breakfast here was a highlight. Several choices including eggs or local dishes and wonderful fresh fruit and juices. The staff was very nice and friendly.

There is a small pool in the courtyard near reception, which was very pretty, but we never saw anyone using it - it's kind of in an awkward spot.

Overall we'd highly recommend this hotel as long as you can score one of the top floor rooms.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the top floor. Stay away from the basement room. Also, the first floor rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and genuinely hospitable! Everyone was sweet and they knew my name from the day I arrived until the moment I left! When I go back to Cartagena, I will most certainly be staying here again! The location was also very good and only a couple blocks from "La Cevicheria", which I ate at every day. In the evening/nights, take a moment to relax in their hot tub on the third floor on in the small pool on the ground level. I always enjoyed this after the long walks within the Old City.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This little boutique hotel has found a perfect balanced with their wonderful staff which are very helpful but not invassive, a great location in the heart of the old town , and lovely deco that it's neither ostentatious nor basic. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Santo Toribio? Share your experiences!