“Rude, money grabbing manager out for all he can get” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Casa del Noble Hotel Galeria

You added Casa del Noble Hotel Galeria to your Saves list
Casa del Noble Hotel Galeria
Calle Tumbamuertos 38-91 | San Diego - Centro Amurallado, Cartagena 130015, Colombia (Formerly Casa del Noble)   |
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
“Rude, money grabbing manager out for all he can get”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked into the Casa del Noble Hotel Galeria for 5 nights over new year. I booked in August as I knew that Cartagena would be busy and wanted to get organised. I booked through Hostelworld and received confirmation that my booking had been confirmed and my deposit payment had been taken.
I emailed the hotel directly a week before we arrived to inform them that my plans had changed and that I only needed three nights instead of five. My email was never responded to.
On arriving in Cartagena, we were told by the extremely arrogant Andres that our booking had been cancelled and we had no reservation. I had received confirmation from hostelworld the day before to say that my reservation was confirmed and fully booked. However, he claimed that they had cancelled the booking. He never showed me proof of this.
After a heated discussion, where he was extremely rude and unhelpful, he said that we could stay in a room in a house up the road. We said yes, as there was no other accommodation in Cartagena for New Years Eve, everywhere was full, I had looked already. The room in the other house was pleasent, clean and there were two very nice Colombians working there.
We agreed that 3 nights was all we would stay for. I worked out the cost of the room for 3 nights, deducting the amount that I had paid for my deposit originally. I gave this to Andres and explained that I had deducted the amount that he had received from Hostelworld for my deposit. He claimed that he had never received the money from Hostelworld and that I needed to contact them to get my money back. Hostelworld do not give refunds. They pay the deposit directly to the hotels. After another heated discussion, he began shouting and screaming at me that I was robbing him as I would not pay the amount for the deposit again. He then threw me and my mother out of the hotel.
It appeared to me that my booking was not cancelled, he had doubled booked the room to get more money by moving us to the other 'hotel' which looked more like a house that he owned. The money then went into his own pocket. There was another, pleasant lady there who helped us and she said that this happens frequently.
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. Andres is arrogant, rude and totally unhelpful. He is greedy and just wants money for himself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Medellin, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here two nights. So the afternoon of the second day whoever cleaned our room STOLE $80 USD that I had hidden under some things in the closet. We discovered this the next morning when I went to pay for shipping my motorcycle. Later that afternoon we stopped for lunch only to discover my wife was also violated as she had about 60.000 COP in her purse wallet and only 10.000 COP was there, so we had a light shared lunch. I know how many dollars I had to pay for the bike and I was exactly $80.00 short. Very cleaver to leave most so I would not notice until after we left.

I wrote to the Mayor of Cartagena to let him know what low life's work at the Casa del Noble.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the the Casa del Noble for 4 nights due to their sister hotel (Casa Boutique Hortensia) not having the room we booked available. The Casa del Noble has 5 rooms. We were shown two of them (the only two not shown on any booking sites or on their facebook page) and neither was ideal. The first room is in the reception area and is no more than two metres away from the reception desk and 4m away from the bar. This would have been a noisy and not very private room so we opted for the other room downstairs. The room downstairs has no outside window/natural light and is directly underneath the bar and dining area so is noisy especially in the morning.

The first day we arrived there was no hot water. We reported this and it was fixed the next day. Neither the TV or TV remote work properly and we reported this 3 times and nothing was done.

When we were checking out of the hotel there were no staff present to hand the keys to. We rang the door bell to get someone's attention and the cleaner came down. We handed her the key, thanked her and were about to leave when she said we still had to pay some money. We had booked a package through despegar.com which included all costs so I showed her the voucher to prove we had paid in full already. She claimed that we had to pay 'tax' to the hotel directly and said we couldn't leave until we had done so. I showed her the voucher once more and explained that we had paid in full and that we had to leave as we had a flight to catch. The cleaner ran after us and shouted to a nearby police officer to stop us leaving. After 5 minutes the general manager arrived.

The general manager said we had to pay a 'tax' of $52,000 directly to him in cash and that this covered 'insurance' for our stay. Neither myself or the police with us had heard or this 'tax' and the manager could provide no evidence that this was a genuine charge other than a handwritten note in his diary saying '$52,000 TAX'.

After being threatened with having my credit card debited unless I gave him the cash the police told us that there was no evidence that this was in any way a genuine charge and we should head ofF to the airport.

I have since checked with despegar.com and this is not a genuine charge but instead an attempt by a greedy general manager to line his own pockets by trying to trick tourists into giving him cash. For this reason I strongly advise that you avoid this hotel and any of it's sister hotels (Emblema Group, including Casa Boutique Hortensia, also in Cartagena).

The old town of Cartagena is a great place to stay and they are beautiful old colonial hotels on nearly every street. If you stay anywhere within the walls of the old town you will be within a 10-15 walk of all the major sites so there is no need to spoil your stay by choosing this hotel. I will go back to Cartagena but will avoid this hotel and its manager at all costs.

Room Tip: This hotel has 5 rooms. The two downstairs are to be avoided. One is in the reception area, the othe...