“Absolutely stunning heritage hotel in brilliant location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Caribe

You added Hotel Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Caribe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrera 1 No. 2 - 87 | Bocagrande, Cartagena 1330, Colombia   |
Ranked #47 of 124 Hotels in Cartagena
Melbourne, Australia
“Absolutely stunning heritage hotel in brilliant location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Caribe during a recent visit to Cartagena. The hotel itself is absolutely stunning and is now heritage listed due to its significance. The swimming pool and surrounding areas are stunning and the hotel rooms are comfortable and accommodating. One of a few issues we did have at the hotel was with the service at the hotels restaurants. We found the staff there not very unattentive, difficult to get service from and then included in the bill at the end of the service was a tip included in the bill. Another issue was with the "private beach". One of the major problems that we feel Cartagena is facing is with its vendadoras and during a visit to the hotels private beach we found ourselves immediately swamped by vendadoras trying to sell us anything from "Rolex" watches, sunglasses, to paintings. The water was very unattractive and after a short stay we decided to return to the hotels swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

we spent a few days in hotel caribe. when we arrived I thought "hey nice hotel resort" and I walked around. I came to the zoo where I found 4 little monkeys laying on the ground in a very small cage with no green or anything. the water was dirty and everything smelled very bad. the parrots were in a small cage and had lost their plumage. I could clearly see that these animals were not happy at all.
The staff working at the reception was very friendly. Aircon was not working. Don't go to the hotel beach, you will be bothered by the beach vendors.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

After being stranded at Bogota airport for 7 hours then arriving in post-downpour Cartagena late on a Saturday night, Hotel Caribe was a veritable oasis! My room was large, well air conditioned and clean. The bed was big with high quality mattress, sheets and pillows—so important and a relief when you're traveling. The hotel is a lovely old landmark building (I was in a newish wing) with extensive gardens and a great pool area. Staff were friendly, but being so large I found it a tad impersonal. My only complaint is I thought the food in the restaurant was just OK, although it's open 24 hours a day, so what do you expect?! Others may not find the constant and inescapable music they played in the pool area annoying, but personally give me silence, or at least salsa if you must! I live in New York, so when I go to the beach I want to hear the birds, the waves, at most kids splashing in the pool. Enough with the midday club beats! I'm sure I was the only one with a problem as most people pay little attention to noise. The bar drinks were only so-so.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Unfortunately we arrived in Cartagena at the same time as a large event so there were very few rooms in the city left. We were charged $630USD in what we were told was a 5 star hotel. At best this is a 3 Star hotel. The rooms are very spartan and the the restaurants are buffet style and basic. The pool looked nice but rooms are too basic to be called 5 star. Thin towels and worn sheets with a definite motel feel. At $150 this hotel is a good deal but I personally would feel cheated paying any more.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

This hotel is very old and has not been kept up to date. The staff was not as professional as a Marriot or other chain hotel. The food was okay, but nothing special. One antique elevator servers the main building, so plan on waiting for it at times. Pool was very nice, and location is nice next to the beach, but other hotels are likely cheaper, newer and nicer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Herradura, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed here for two nights during a trip recently to Colombia. We arrived at the airport and took a taxi to the hotel, which took about 15 minutes, I would guess. This hotel is in the Boca Grande beach area vs in the walled in city fortress area. I picked it since it is only a 10 minute taxi ride to the walled in city, and I like staying on the beach. Plus, the hotels in the walled city were more expensive, and i prefer a view of the water over a view of a wall, and I made the right choice for sure. Got to check in early to our room, we were on the 4th floor. Room was pretty standard, but nice. Big room with a view of the water and the hotel grounds. Bathroom was nice as well, great shower water pressure. We used the pool and it was very nice, and quiet. They had a separate area for kids, which kept the other side of the pool quieter. There was a gym area as well, with massage rooms, a sauna, a turkish bath, and a jacuzzi. We had massages in there, which were below average, at best, but the sauna and jacuzzi were nice. Had lunch and the buffet breakfast (which was free each morning) and both were good. Highly recommend the shrimp pizza. Hotel is steps from the beach, so we walked the beach some as well. Lots of cute restaurants and shopping near the hotel in the downtown of Boca Grande. Also, free internet at the hotel as well, which rocks. Quick checkout as well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Carson, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Here are the facts of my stay: 1. the clerk at check in wanted to charge me $68.00 US for insurance per day. Not after speaking to a supervisor did I find out it was optional. 2. They wanted to charge me $10.00 a day for my 3 year old to eat at the breakfast buffet. 3. my room had a water leak in the bathroom and the floor was constantly wet. My 11, 8, and 3 year old loved the pool, the wild (but tamed) animals scrolling around the hotel grounds.
Here is my opinion: It's decent, worth the price, good place for a family vacation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Caribe? Share your experiences!