“Exotic hotel in exotic city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Cartagena Hotel Santa Teresa

Save Saved
You added Charleston Cartagena Hotel Santa Teresa to your Saves list
Charleston Cartagena Hotel Santa Teresa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   31 - 23 Carrera 3 | Centro Plaza de Santa Teresa, Cartagena, Colombia   |
Ranked #23 of 116 hotels in Cartagena
Wilmington, Delaware
“Exotic hotel in exotic city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel is a crown jewel in an exotic city. Service was excellent, especially helpful in arranging for taxi service to and from the airport. The rooftop pool, with its excellent views of the city, was about as serene a place to sip a mojito as possible. The outdoor cafe in front of the hotel has great live music in the evenings. A room with a view of the Caribbean. Not cheap, but hard to ask for much more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel over the last 6 yrs and I must say that the experience is just not the same anymore. I think this hotel now caters to the wedding and corporate crowd at the expense of it's regular guests. The night we arrived there was a corporate gathering that lasted until 3 am that literally was shaking the furniture in our second floor room. The following night was a wedding reception until 2am. When I asked the front desk for some explanation/accomodation they assured me on three different occasions that they were working on it......and nothing ever happened. When I went to check out, on my bill were 16 different charges for cell phone use on their network, totaling over 150,000 pesos. When questioned about these charges they simply stared at us in disbelief......and refused to let us talk to anyone of any higher authority. This hotel is very overpriced relative to the sofitel and some of the better boutique hotels (augustine, Agua etc). Also seems to cater to the older +60 crowd more than I remember. We did not see one guest under 20 (besides my 2 children) the entire 4 days that we were there. I enjoy cartegena for the music....the feel of the city being alive....the old city and its history, but never again using the Santa Theresa as my home.

Room Tip: get a room in the back ......and one of the rooms that were part of the original hotel if possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was just married in the Charleston on the 2nd of February! I cannot praise the staff enough for how incredible and helpful they were to me and all of my guests (we booked 23 rooms)!!!
From the atmosphere, to the food, to the beautiful flowers all over the hotel, I could not have asked for anything more! The wedding and experience was better than I could have ever imagined! Anytime I am back in Cartagena I will stay at the Charleston! Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later!!! 1st aniversary , maybe?!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Looking for a destination to plan your next trip? Looking for a hotel? I've got the perfect destination and hotel! Not only is this a beautiful property, offering its guest top of the line service, it is located in the heart of the old city, allowing tourists and locals to explore the beauty that Cartagena has to offer. Hotel Santa Teresa offers its guests multiple food and beverage options to choose from, ranging from the patio by the lobby for breakfast to the restaurant by the pool to the restaurant in the plaza. The rooms are very good in size some bigger than others but they all have nice decor. I have been staying at this hotel for the past 7 years and every time I am more pleasantly surprised with the excellent service provided.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

similar to other reviewers, we found that what we had reserved through American Express was not what was offered to us when we arrived. After we had a discussion, they did 'upgrade' (tho this was NOT an upgrade as we had it confirmed to us as a deluxe room by AMEX) to a deluxe room tho it was the least of the deluxe. A nice room but there were no apologies and no manager to discuss this with. We had a reservation for 5 nights and finally got to who we thought was the manager on the 4th day - Others we saw were offered juice on arrival and other amenities but perhaps as we arrived on a Sunday, we were offered nothing. The man who showed us our room went off to check how to open the window only to never return and when we asked what happened when we went back to the lobby, we were informed that the windows did not open! English is obviously not spoken regularly as we were often avoided. We choose this hotel as it was a medium sized hotel which we thought would therefore provide us with a concierge service in English - but this was not the case. There was no concierge but only an outside travel agent who had a window to book tours. When we asked about any concerts or art events, we weren't given any information but found out later on that there was a large concert as a book fair commenced the day before we left but by then it was too late. It was inconceivable that they were not familiar with what turned out to be a huge concert in a main square and obviously a main happening that week. We also never received a wake up call which could have been disastrous had we not set another alarm on our phone.....just in case. The desk was also pretty useless with shopping recommendations - There was NO list of restaurants tho we got one from the concierge at a competing hotel across town!
The good news is the location and the upstairs pool - tho small for swimming - is delightful -
the food for breakfast and lunch was served beautifully. Very disappointed in the service at the hotel - but loved being in Cartagena nevertheless.

Room Tip: Try to get the deluxe rooms and GET IT CONFIRMED by the hotel as they do not accept the confirm from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Beautiful choice for a luxury hotel inside the walled city. Perfect location (Sofitel is similar but on opposite side), great service, beautiful rooms. The rooftop terrace is amazing, and we could always find a spot. Were not that impressed with the food (then again, you should probably never order pizza in south america). The bed was super comfy, much better than anything else we'd experienced in Cartagena. Also really enjoyed having a balcony off our room (even with the standard room).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Let me first start by saying that the hotel is absolutely beautiful. The ambiance, decor, and location are perfect for a memorable journey to Cartagena.

We went to Cartagena on our honeymoon and decided to splurge a little and booked a junior suite. Our package also included "luxury" transport to and from the airport, breakfast, spa treatments and wifi internet.

Our hotel pick up was perfect and we were brought back to the hotel in a large van. The staff were ready for us with drinks and our room was already assigned and ready.
We were escorted to our room and immediately my wife and I looked at each other and both thought "this is not a suite". We called the reception to inquire and instead of being told we were right, we were instead offered not one but two other rooms - both smaller in size and both not suites. So we went down to the reception to discuss and suddenly the girls at the desk forgot how to speak english.
A supervisor came out 10 minutes later. (note he was NOT the hotel manager). He confirmed what we suspected, the room we were brought to was in fact not a junior suite. He said they were not available - even though we booked for 6 nights and booked 3 months earlier.
At first we were offered the Presidential Suite.............at an additional cost of over one hundred dollars per night. We refused and in the end settled on the original room, which was more than adequate, at a small discount.

The truth is, had we had other options I would have checked into another hotel (Sofitel) but we were kind of out of options. Foreigners from Canada that don't speak spanish.

While certain other concessions were made to us during our stay, we cannot ignore the fact that we paid a premium for a junior suite and were placed in a superior room, and they had hoped that we wouldn't notice the difference and pay as per our reservation.

During our stay we asked to speak to the manager - 6 days in a row. Not once did he ever attempt to contact us. Very disappointing. The only helpful person was Alvaro and he should be commended.

Worth noting is that the hotel is really beautiful. The rooftop pool is priceless and a great place to relax in the sun. The food was good too.

A final hoorah for us was our luxury transport back to the airport. We were wedged into a tiny little yellow taxi. So, a wonderful reception capped off with a wonderful departure.

I am not a negative person. I am always looking for ways to complement service, especially when I travel. But what the hotel tried to pull on us was unacceptable.

So my message is beware of what you pay for at this hotel. You probably will not get what you think you have reserved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Charleston Cartagena Hotel Santa Teresa? Share your experiences!