“Relaxing retreat from the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cartagena

Booking.com Travelocity
Hilton Cartagena
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Almirante Brion | El Laguito, Cartagena, Colombia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Special Rates from $139
Ranked #25 of 112 hotels in Cartagena
brooklyn NY
“Relaxing retreat from the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We just completed a 3 night stay at the Hilton in el laguito. It is ten minutes outside the city center but a world away. When I first entered the lobby I was not impressed because it lack character. When I saw the room I was won over. It was atastefully decorated suite. Only the suites have balconies so we felt it was worth the extra money, and it was. It is important to note that what is a queen bed in columbia is a double bed in the usa.

The gym is nice. The service at the pool and in the restaurant is top top notch. It could not have been better. The pool is a relaxing oasis. No music, but lots of singing from the birds in the trees. The hotel is right on the beach so it is possible to swim in the ocean but sit at the pool. Note that incolumbia all beaches are public and the vendors dont allow you to rest for more than 2 minutes. No means no in any language but they do not stop. On bocagrande they have even more vendors and lots of beggars as well. So if you want to relax, look no further than the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for taking the time in writing this nice message on Tripadvisor.

It is really nice to hear that we acomplished or promise of service and that you enjoyed our facilities and services.

Our team members at Las Chivas Restaurant and the pool will be delighted to read your message, they will be happy to receive you again.

Best regards

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Hilton was pleasant.
The good things: great location, great view even if you're not facing the ocean, courteous service, overlapping dark blinds (great if you don't wake up with the sunset), excellent pool and nice private beach.
The bad: humidity! The a/c doesn't remove the humidity thoroughly and our mattresses smelled musty. I'm unsure if this problem was unique to our room but I don't think so. One of the lights was out and the toilet leaked a bit. We placed an order to have these fixed and they didn't. Our coffee supplies were never complete. We were either missing coffee or cream or sugar. The ice machine didn't work in our floor. They were changing phone systems and we didn't get our wake up calls. Good thing we had the iPhones for backup..
I would still recommend the hotel but only if you can get it at a discounted price.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment.

It is great to know that you experienced a good service offered by our team members and enjoyed our facilities.

We have taken notes about the details you pointed about the humidity, the bathroom, the coffee maker, the ice machine; I will make sure that every department involved in these matters will have a detailed report about these inconveniences.

Our goal is to offer the best service that´s is why we really appreciate your feedback.

We look forward having you as a guest again.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The experienced was special from the very start. The level of politeness, sincerity, and attention was great! They truly understand and exceed the international traveler's needs and expectations. The gym was impeccably clean; and equipped with the latest equipment that would be in a "Lifetime Athletic Club (Houston)". They have (at least) 3 world class tennis courts. They have their own semi-private beach (only guests go there, but they have to call it semi-private anyway). The restaurant "Las Chivas" (there are others buy I never saw them open) has a spectacular Buffett Breakfast, and a menu for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was my favorite meal here, just because I enjoy exploring places in different parts of the city.
There are more than 4 pools and 3 jacuzzis (they don't get very hot). The view is great and the people are sooo nice. There is a kiosk by the pool and they provide you with everything from towels to renting jet-skiis (of which I rented from a very nice person named Jennifer). The kiosk people were genuinely nice. Jennifer made sure I got the jetskii I wanted and took several pictures before walking back to the kiosk. The guy handling the jetskii gave me good pointers on where and how far to go (and what not to do), which came in handy!
I booked a City Tour through the Gema Tours (located downstairs close to the Front Desk) and loved it. The guide spoke great English and spoke passionately about the history of the city (and of the Region).
The Wi-Fi sends a strong signal all throughout the property. I was able to Skype and take care of emails, etc... from the restaurant, the pools, the lobby, the business center, gym, and even in front of the property.
I'm coming back to Hilton Cartagena because it is a "SURE" thing. I don't want to gamble during a vacation stay. I want to be sure that the hotel understands their guests, Hilton Cartagena definitely does!!!
Jairo R.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies are HUGE!!! The room must be 900 square feet and the balcony another 900 sq...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jairo,
It is delightful to read your wonderful comments about us.

Your appreciation of our facilities, services and staff has a great meaning and motivates us to continue working to provide our customers with a very positive experience while staying at our property.

We value you as a customer and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked 2012 New year at the Hitlon for my family (two teenage children) and was not disappointed. The beach at Cartegena is not fantastic so having a pool and a 'sort of' private area of beach is something you'll find important for a family.
The restaurant has fantastic food, Congrats to the chef. We arrived at 3:00 in the afternoon when the service had finished on our first day and the food we ordeered was excellent. The brerakfast are also more than enough and the serving staff kind and pleasant.
The Hilton has everything a big hotel requires and, of course, you have to pay for many little extras like internet and calls to other rooms, the use of the tennis courts etc but for me it wasn't a problem but it would be nice if they didn't charge everything wifi?????
The location is at the ohter end of the city from the old walled area but as it is the Hilton there are lots of taxis' waiting to take you the 10-15 minutes there. The tacis' are cheap too.
When we got to the hotel they reception staff were very helpful in booking a trip to 'las ilhas Rosario' thank you, and they were always there to please.
The rooms were fanatastic. I recommend to choose a ocean view which also overlooks the pool and beach. As we had two rooms the second one wasn't ready when we arrived and the staff offered us another room without a view for our kids. I'm glad we didn't take it and waited an hour for their room to be ready.
The rooms have realllllllllly large double beds. I couldn't find my wife in ours!. TV, lovely modern bathrooms and everything you expect from a high class hotel with a good reputation.
If you are with family, old or young, and unsure of which hotel to get, pay a little more and you won't have a problem in Cartegena.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please receive this note that expresses our gratitude to your kindness of completing a review of your stay in Cartagena and at The Hilton Hotel.

Thank you very much for recommending us, your appreciation of our facilities, services and staff has a great meaning and motivates us to continue working to provide our customers with a very positive experience while staying at our property.

Sincerely your,

General Manager.
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I spent one week with my family, in the Christmas period. The hotel has been renovated and facilities are good even if a little be crowded, at least in the Christmas period. The service is really good and the restaurant too is not bad at all. The location is really excellent, with nice views and just 10 minutes, by taxi, from the old town, that is really one of the most interesting spots you can find in South America

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Cartagena Hotel during your visit to enchanting “Cartagena de Indias”. We do appreciate your time to write this review.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed the service offered by our staff and the facilities.

Please let us know about your next visit, our team members will be happy to welcome you back.

Kind regards,

General Manager.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my partner for 4 nights. First the good parts...

1. Since I am a diamond member, I did get a slightly upgraded room which was average as far as Hilton's are concerned.

2. The diamond status did get me free internet and free breakfast. The internet worked most of the time and the breakfast buffet was extensive and delicious. The staff in the restaurant were fairly attentive considering they were extremely busy.

3. The pool area was great and a welcome relief from the afternoon heat! Pool area is large and right on the sandy beach with lots of different pools and a swim up bar. Sometimes finding an available lounge chair was a little tough and especially if you want to lay anywhere in the shade. I wouldn't recommend leaving the pool area to go to the beach because you will be mobbed with pushy locals trying to sell you everything under the sun. They are not allowed to come onto the hotel property so you are safe from them harassing you as long as you stay off the beach.

4. The location of the hotel is great. Not within walking distance to the old walled city but definitely within walking distance to the Boca Grande which has a ton of restaurants, shops, cafe's, nightclubs etc. We always felt extremely safe walking around the neighborhood even late at night. The taxi's are plentiful and a flat rate within the city so it should cost you exactly 7,000 pesos (roughly 4 USD) from the hotel to the old walled city in about 5-7 minutes. We payed a flat 17,000 pesos from the airport to the hotel. Also, if you are interested - the double decker sightseeing (hop on-hop off) bus stops right in front of the hotel every 90 minutes all day long. You buy your ticket (cash only) right on the bus for 45,000 pesos and your ticket is good for 24 hours. It was a great way to see the city, use it for transportation and get a lay of the land on your first full day.

Now the down side...

1. I was disappointed with the executive lounge (I deducted one star for this reason). Most international Hiltons I've stayed at offer free food and alcoholic beverages in the executive lounge. I was surprised that I couldn't even get a bottle of water to take to the room. The only water offered is from a large bottle that they require you to pour in a glass. I'm also used to beer and wine being served complimentary. The food offered during breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvre was adequate but not the best I've seen. I feel like the executive lounge area could use some upgrading. The staff however were very pleasant and helpful.

Overall I am looking forward to staying here again on my next visit to Cartagena! You will love the city and the people!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room :-)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our services and staff.

We have taken special note about your comment on the Executive Lounge, we really appreciate your valuable information and it would be a pleasure if you can give us the opportunity of welcoming you back!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Cartagena. The front desk staff and management made our entire vacation with great local recommendations, added perks and the friendly-demenor.The private beach and sprawling pool made it a fantastic way to end our trip. We loved it so much that we extended the stay. Normally, I prefer not to be surrounded by tourists on vacation but we stayed at the Hilton because of the fantastic rates. The beaches are not pretty as a warning. The rooms are large and clean. I would ask for an oceanview if possible. We got phenominal rates on the hotel by calling direct.

The Hilton is located on the beach about 10 minutes from the walled city. Cabs to the walled city are 6,000 pesos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lysee,

It is our pleasure to know that we accomplished our promise of an outstanding service during your stay. Our team is so glad to hear that all the effort and Hilton training is being noticed by our customers.

We thank you for the time positive comments and we do hope to have you staying with us in the near future.

Sincerely

Vinod Agarwal

Been to Hilton Cartagena? Share your experiences!