“Modern, reasonably priced, new building, nice rooms and facilities.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros

You added Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Anillo Vial Cra. 9 no. 34-166 La Boquilla, Cartagena 130002, Colombia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Cartagena
“Modern, reasonably priced, new building, nice rooms and facilities.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Holiday Inn in Cartagena is about 5 minutes from the airport and maybe 10 minutes from the Old city; in an area with new and modern buildings without the bustle of Boca Grande or the Old City, where lot of commercial shopping and hotels are located.

The rooms are comfortable, very clean and up to date.

There are taxis conveniently at the entrance. We have nothing but good experiences with the taxi drivers who proved to be friendly and extremely helpful.

The hotel has a very nice pool and direct access to the beach, although Cartagena's beach, isn't much of a tourist attraction.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel was very nice and the staff was very friendly. I enjoyed my stay there. It is a bit far from the old walled city but it´s worth it. Se los recomiendo!

Room Tip: Request a room with an ocean view. There are rooms with the Cienaga view and it is not as nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband and kids stayed for 6 days and we thought the hotel was very clean, excellent food, and the people couldn't be nicer. Totally go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear guest,

We are really happy to know the good experience that you had in our Hotel. Thanks on behalf our team, we hope a new opportunity to be your host in Cartagena
Bogota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was there for a weekend and enjoyed the beach and very new rooms. The gym has amazing view where you can do some work out looking the sunset. Food at the restaurant has good quality and decent price. If you want to go to the old city there are private taxis at the hotel charging the same 7 dollars so its safe and convenient. However it will take you some 20 minutes to get there....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
HotelCtg, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Your opinion about the services is really important for us. On behalf of our team our thanks for sharing with us your comments and suggestions. We hope a new oportunity to attend you in Cartagena de Indias

John Mario Villarraga
Revenue Manager
Hinseville, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

I reserved 3 rooms for my brother his family and my own. This particular Holiday Inn is less than a year old and located in an exclusive area of Cartagena, Colombia. The rooms, restaurant, pool and bars are top notch and only surpassed in excellence by the service and attention to detail of the staff. I recommend this hotel to anyone and back it with the fact my entire family to include 8 children, spent a life memorable experience here.

• Stayed May 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

As I said in the title it's just another Holiday Inn, It is located putside de old city so be prepared to spend a lot in taxi transportation. The hotel itself is nice and clean rooms are confortable, but nothing special to coment. And the worst part of it is the wet zone since when you arrive to your room a get on the balcony you get the view of a cordeus swimingpool and wet zones, to get really disappointed once you go downstairs and see that area is from a private condo. And the Hotel's pool is just a little one in one side of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Gfranco14,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

It all began when I checked into my room, which had human (I think) vomit, all over the bed and nightstand area. Whoever stayed in the room before me had a rough time, as they apparently puked all over themselves and the bed. The room had otherwise been "made up", but the odor and chunks of partially digested food remained in plain sight and all over the area where one presumably sleeps, much of it plastered around the headboard and behind the mattress. I immediately contacted the front desk and asked for another room. They said that they'd get me in another room and in the meantime have the room re-cleaned.

Looking out the window I saw two stunningly beautiful pools and decided I'd see how well they could clean it while I soaked up some sun. Apparently, those are the pools for the adjacent condominums and they aren't open to hotel guests. Instead the hotel has a crappy small pool off to the side. Okay, I can live with a little false advertising.

What I didn't like living with was the fact that housekeeping didn't do anything to alleviate the vomit situation, and it took Holiday Inn Cartagena over 24 hours for them to get me a new room. So yes, I spent the night in a room that had human vomit and other unidentifiable bits of semi-digested nastiness! I slept at the foot of the bed, sideways, as far away as I could from the vomit remains, which by then were starting to turn darker in color.

Aside from the vomit room (the new room was fine), I also had numerous problems with the staff around the hotel. A waiter asked for a bribe, saying he would only charge one of us for the breakfast buffet if we paid him. At the (small, crappy) pool, we were charged one price for "house cocktails" one day, and three times the amount for the identical drinks the following day.

But the real adventure was at checkout, where I found over $360USD of extra charges on my bill, for a 4 night stay! There was everything from the "health insurance" to extra charges for a second person in the room. Yes, a King bed room is supposedly only for one person, and they told me that they charge more for two people. Well, not according to their web site, where if you select one or two persons it's the same cost. Also, there were tons of charges on my bill for food & beverage that I did not order or consume. When I asked them to produce the signed receipts for F&B bills they could only find three.

The front desk staff argued and argued over the bill, and I eventually almost missed my flight when I told them that they could either A) remove all the invalid charges and I'd pay on the spot, or B) take an imprint of my card, but I wouldn't sign the slip and we could figure it out later over the phone or email. They said, "okay we'll do the imprint" and then when I gave them the card they demanded that I sign or they wouldn't give it back to me! What a professional way to treat a platinum member.

So, I was forced to sign off on all those illegitimate charges, including the one night stay in the Vomit Honeymoon Suite. Thank gosh I paid with Amex, which is investigating the whole debacle.

I have contacted Holiday Inn corporate and they sent back some canned response and essentially do not care what goes on at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, which I find disappointing and a terrible reflection of the company.

If you value your money and expect sanitary habitation out of a hotel, *do not* stay at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, or don't say I didn't warn you!

[as an aside, this hotel is about 20-30 minutes from the interesting parts of Cartagena, which costs about $7 in a taxi each way, if I could do it all over again, I'd have stayed somewhere within walking distance]

Room Tip: Choose one without vomit (perhaps by staying at another hotel).
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelCtg, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
It is very important to us as members of a chain with high international standards, improve our services every day and the experiences we provide to our guests. We reviewed in detail each of the situations presented during your stay to make the necessary corrections to ensure the improvement and optimization of our processes. It was very important for us to receive your comments and the opportunity for improvement that has given us.

Best regards,

John Mario Villarraga
Revenue Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros? Share your experiences!