“great photo opps” 4 of 5 stars

Boston, MA
30 attraction reviews
“great photo opps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2015

The reviews describe this place well. We too were told it was dangerous, and that did make me nervous. I was a bit on edge the whole time we were there, though nothing happened. We took a cab and were dropped off by the side along the river - where they sell meat and fish, which was a dirty, hard to enter area. The market is crowded, loud, and sells everything from freshly caught fish to cheap plastic items. I took lots of pictures (though that felt voyeuristic), and we did see a lot of food that looked delicious, but we didn't buy. I appreciated seeing a totally different scene then the walled city provides. I use a wheelchair, so the whole experience was more daunting for me; lots of people stared at me, there were many obstacles in our path as we moved through the market.
I agree, don't wear flip flops, I imagine your feet would be black when you came out.

Visited March 2015

Lake of Bays, Canada
36 attraction reviews
“Go if you enjoy markets”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014

We went to see this market this morning - after being warned not to - "es feo y malo". We enjoyed our 45 minutes wandering around the fish market, vegetable stalls, little restaurants and stalls selling cheap Chinese products. It was very crowded with people buying and selling produce. I did not bring a purse but my husband did bring a small camera and took lots of photos - and many vendors asked us to take their photo! We did not feel we were in any danger.

Glad we went despite the warnings!

Visited December 2014
Cartagena, null, Colombia
40 attraction reviews
“Dirty, dangerous, unuseful. Sucio, peligroso e inutil.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

A very nasty place caothic, plenty of dust and robbers, does not offer any kind of typical product but only chinese stuff and low quality food without any hygienic precaution.
Don't eat prepared food in the open restaurants !!!!
A piece of hell in town.

Un lugar pesimo, caotico, lleno de basura y de atracadores, no ofrece nada de tipico sino mercancia china y barata y comida de baja calidad sin algun cuidado por la salud.
No atreverce a comer en los restaurantes al abierto !!!!
Un rincon de infierno de la Heroica.

Visited September 2014
London
6 attraction reviews
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Similar to a previous reviewer, we were a bit hesitant to go based on comments on Trip Advisor and our hotel warned us not to go as it is very dangerous. If you like markets you should definitely go, we didn't have time to see all of it but the areas we saw were worth it and at no point did we feel in danger or threatened, and a few police in the market also which made it feel safer.

Based on some of the reviews I think there must be different entrances - we came from the Caribe Plaza mall (great mall, although don't expect a bargain, many things similar price to UK - COP 200,000 for official football shirts), and from there took the 29D Exit. It's a short walk (5-10 mins) along a busy road to get to edge of the market, and loads of shops en route also for clothes, juice, electronics etc. This entrance to the market is fine, if not a bit dusty / messy - I assume entrances by food area are a bit rougher based on reviews.

The market is pretty big and separate areas for food and general tat - clothes, bags, shoes, etc. The food bit can be pretty intense with smells, flies etc. but pretty normal where fish and meat out in the heat. Easy to avoid this area if you want to find other stuff - great bargains on bags, clothes, shoes and similar - albeit lots of fakes and quality pretty variable...... And be prepared to barter especially if you look like an obvious tourist, as we did.

Cartagena
“DONT GO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Dont go there. It is a tourist trap. Ita the ugliest place on earth! You will just find buzy streets full of fish, meats and fruits. Its so disgusting, the government has been fighting for years to remove it, but never finsh up doing it.