“Mud Volcano” 4 of 5 stars

Red Bud, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Mud Volcano”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The mud volcano was interesting. You had to climb stairs to get to the top. Once in the MUD you were covered head to toe, then given a light massage. After you were done with the massage you waited in line to get out. There was someone waiting to scrap as much mud off you as possible before getting out. Once done with that you had to go back down the stairs. This was a little tricky since you still had wet mud on your feet, but there was a hand rail to hold on to on your way back down. Once at the bottom you headed to the water to get washed off. There are ladies waiting there to help get the mud off you. I would do this again, maybe next time I would leave the mud on a little longer, but it was well worth it!

Visited December 2012

Fairfax, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“So much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

El Tutumo is about an hour drive from Cartagena. As soon as you arrive, you shed everything but your bathing suit and walk up the stairs to the volcano. The tour guides will tell you that you don't need flip flops, but I would recommend taking them up to the volcano, as the walk to the lake hurts your feet! You carefully guide yourself down into the mud and they literally push you to where you need to go, as the mud is so dense it's hard to move around. They have a couple guys who hold your camera and take pictures of you, and a few others who give you a massage. If you're not interested, just tell them, but we loved the quick massage! When you're done, you carefully climb out and walk down to the nearby lake to rinse off. At the river they have women who will help you wash off. Again, if you're not interested, just tell them! Overall a very fun experience!!

Visited December 2012
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Huge fun! (but not for the prudish)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Absolutely hilarious trip which involved floating in mud, being grabbed as a support by frightened French female visitors and then washed down by the local ladies. Be aware that they will want you to take your swimming costume off - don't worry the water is not clear!

I would recommend going with a guide so you know your valuables are being looked after and someone can take photo's. The cost per head at the site itself will be around $20000 -$25000 COP. (Only around £8-10.)

Voted as best day of the trip by our two teenage sons.

Visited July 2012
San Francisco, California
“Funny Experience...And Sort of Gross”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My boyfriend and I went on a half day excursion to the mud volcano outside of Cartagena with a tour arranged through our hotel (Don Pedro de Heredia - recommended). Here is the quick and dirty: this is not a relaxing, medicinal, or even sanitary experience. But it is fun, and if you have the stomach for it and a strong immune system, maybe worth doing. In retrospect, I personally would have skipped it if I knew what I was in for, but at the same time it made for some very funny experieneces and pictures.

We spent most of our twenty minutes in the volcano laughing - my boyfriend got in first and despite efforts to stay upright, quickly toppled on his back and couldn't get vertical again because the mud is so buoyant. He then received an "optional" massage ($3 - 2,000 pesos - why not) that was impossibe to refuse because you really can't move yourself around in the mud and you're at the attendants' mercy. They rubbed his legs and arms up and down a few times - not sure the massage would win any awards but part of the experience.

I got in next and the same thing happened to me. My boyfriend and I then hung out for a while and tried to dunk each other (unsuccessfully) and laughed with all the other tourists soaking in the thick, lukewarm mud. All the while, a local who had offered to hold our camera and take photos snapped some shots (also $2000 pesos - or $3 - I believe) and had our shoes waiting for us at the bottom of the volcano when we decided to climb out of the mud and down the precarious, slippery staircase to rinse off.

What was gross about this (part one): The mud is that lukewarm temperature that's probably a breeding ground for all kinds of things I'd rather not think about, and we're not exactly talking about filtered, "spa" mud here - this is essentially a big hole in the ground with mud that thousands of people have sat in and done Lord knows what in. The mud is sort of granular and has little "mystery bits" of who knows what. So just know what you're getting into. You're going to sit in a moist pit in a small, rural outpost in a developing country. Not to say that you shouldn't, but if you're a clean freak / germophobe, this isn't for you.

What happens next: After climbing down the volcano, we were then shuttled to rinse off in a small, brown, stagnant freshwater pond. Several ladies quickly surrounded us and started throwing buckets of water over our heads for our "optional" ($3) rinsing service - my bikini top was removed (30% my choice, 70% insistence of the attendants) and I held firm on my bottoms. They scrubbed us down and helped us get the mud off, and also ensured that plenty of the brown water was thrown directly into my eyes, ears, and nose.

What was gross about this (part II): See above description. Also, you will not feel entirely clean until you get home and spend a good 45 minutes in the shower removing mud from every last hiding spot.

After our "rinse" we went with the group to a lunch on a nearby beach (food actually quite good - soup, a whole fried fish, soda, and coconut rice) and then home after a short stint in the sun. The beach is nothing special (and actually, our guide described the water as "sucio" in her Spanish version of the instructions but didn't include "dirty" in her English version) so it's not a great place to go swimming. But it would have been a very quick trip without the lunch so I didn't mind the detour. The only downside was that it delayed our chance to get in the hotel shower and scrub off the remains of our spa experience.

Visited December 2011
Ashville
40 attraction reviews
“An Experience Not To Miss When In Cartagena Columbia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Soaking/Swimming/floating in a live volcano is an experience not to miss. While visiting Cartagena Columbia on a cruise in Jan 2011 we signed up for a Volcano Mud Bath. A naturally occuring live volcano which is located about 45 minutes from Cartagena. After a beautiful scenic drive we arrived at the volcano; given an orientation and proceeded up a series of wood framed soil stairs.The center of the volcano, or pot as we saw it, was completley filled with a gray, viscous mud type material. Very warm to the touch and said to have healing properties, you gently entered the 'mud', totally floating due to the thickness of it. Attendants floated you around, covering you completely with the mud; then passing you on to another attendant who then would proceed to give you a volcanic mud massage. Every now and then the volcano would 'erupt' by releasing a huge 'air ball' that bubbled to the surface from it's advertised 2,000 meter depth, exploading and spraying bits of the mud around. All the while our small group (6 couples) guide was taking photos of you with your camera. Amazing how he knew which camera belonged to who, but all of the photos that showed up on our camera were of us. We continued to float/relax after the massage and when we decided to exit, another attendant directed us down to a fresh water lake perhaps 100 yards from the volcano fo a refreshing complete wash down by yet another attendant. Wear an older swim suit, bring a towel and shed everything else including footwear, jewelry, glasses, etc. You DO get covered head to toe. Truly an experience not to miss if you ever get the opportunity.

Visited January 2011