This hotel is only 2 years old, and we booked it because it was so new and because it offered free wi-fi and free shuttle service (per AmEx travel and Orbitz). It is located on a long beach adjacent to the Cartagena Airport. When we went for a walk down the beach we were warned by security that it is very dangerous to leave the area right in front of the hotel, even though it was broad daylight.
The hotel itself is very pretty, and it has several 5 star amenities. Among these are some very nice restaurants with superb decor and a very nice gym. It also has an infinity-edge pool on the top floor that is for adults only and faces the ocean. Customer service at this hotel is decidedly 3-star or less. One example of mediocre or poor service included arguments between staff in the cafeteria, where we were trying to get a table and the servers seemed to be arguing over where we would sit. They continued to argue the entire lunchtime.
Furthermore, when we checked in we asked about the complimentary shuttle service and were told that it would be arranged for us the day we needed to go to the airport. When that day arrived we were told that shuttle services cannot be arranged the same day, that they needed to be arranged a day in advance. They said even if it COULD have been arranged, it would be 25,000 pesos to get a ride to the airport (compared to 12,000 pesos for a taxi). We spoke to 3 separate people to get a resolution, including 2 who said they would get back to us but never did (the bellman and a customer service person on the phone who never called back). Finally, the concierge told us that shuttle services were never free and they didn't care that we would write a critical review online. As we said to the concierge, we would never ask for a free service if it hadn't been advertised as such, and poor customer service reflects very badly on the entire hotel.
It's a shame because the property has great architecture and a lot of potential. It's just obvious that the employees are not happy and therefore the entire experience gets sullied by poor service.
- Also Known As:
- Las Americas Torre Del Mar Hotel
- Las Americas Torre Del Mar Hotel Cartagena
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Paradise. Rediscover your life in Cartagena de Indias, the city of unforgettable sunsets, endless nights and the astonishing Caribbean Sea while exploring the charms of Las Américas Resort y Centro de Convenciones. The renovated Las Américas Casa de Playa hotel, the new Las Américas Torre del Mar hotel and the 2,000-person capacity ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel and Venere so you can book your Las Americas Torre del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.