“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Canabal Hotel Boutique

You added Casa Canabal Hotel Boutique to your Saves list
Casa Canabal Hotel Boutique
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Tripita Y Media Cra 10. # 31-39, Cartagena 57, Colombia   |
Ranked #21 of 124 Hotels in Cartagena
Virginia, United States
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights here on our honeymoon to Colombia, and we really enjoyed the boutique hotel. The pictures on Trip Advisor accurately represent the hotel. Our room was small and with no window to the street (we did have a window that opened into a hallway), but it was so nicely decorated that we didn't mind. The bathroom was truly amazing. We spent a few hours in the rooftop pool and we were the only people up there. The hotel turned music on for us and brought us drinks to the pool. We also enjoyed the terrace at night, when once again, we were the only ones there. Breakfast was great and the service was wonderful. All staff were very helpful and truly made us feel right at home. There is a privacy gate at the entrance of the hotel, so safety was never an issue. We liked the location, as it was an easy walk to the old town, and bars were literally at the end of our street. We also stayed in Bocagrande a few nights, but we definitely preferred this area to Bocagrande. If returning to Cartagena, I would come back to Casa Canabal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I’ll first start by saying this hotel was falsely advertised because we were led to believe that there was a sauna and jacuzzi. The sauna didn't work our entire stay and the jacuzzi was basically the size of a bathtub that only two people could fit in. There was a small crack in the wall inside our bathroom so every time we'd shower the floor would get extremely wet. Besides those few setbacks our stay went fairly well until upon check-out there was a fee of $200 charged to our bill for laundry. We initially thought it was a mistake until it was confirmed that this was indeed the price. We had about the size of a grocery bag worth of clothes and what was more amazing was the fact that there were laundry mats within the vicinity of the hotel that charged $10-15. Needless to say we were astounded and outraged. My boyfriend demanded to speak to the manager. He was contacted, informed of the situation and it was relayed that the price would remain as is. My boyfriend asked that the manager come and speak to him and he refused. This hotel has been by far one of the most unprofessional establishments I've ever encountered. We eventually settled on $50 with the front desk agent, which was also extremely to much but we had a flight to catch that we nearly missed because of the unnecessary ordeal. The attempt at how Casa Canabal Hotel tried to extract more money from us is practically fraud, robbery. There’s absolutely no way they should be allowed to continue to do such a thing to tourist. We love Colombia and will for sure be back but we’ll NEVER stay at this hotel again and I would highly suggest that others do not as well.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent a week in Cartagena . Great place to relax if you have the time. Close to everything including a walk to Bocagrande if needed. would certainly stay there again. It is in a "bohemian" part of town in a small street. Staff is very helpful and the breakfast was very good with fruit salad and eggs to order.

Room Tip: My room was in the second floor with no outside windows, which made it a quiet place. Good AC.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Was here for a week on business. Excellent experience with very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms and hotel are very clean and air conditioner in each room really blasts! Wifi is very fast and rivals most hotels. Great restaurant on first floor, and spa/pools on first floor and third. Would definitely return here again. Shopping nearby if you want to fill the room fridge with goodies. Yeah, outside the hotel it's not broadway ave, but cmon, you're on a trip to colombia! Inside hotel though is an oasis of luxury

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I loved staying at this hotel. As a backpacker, my travel partner and I decided to splurge on our last night in Cartagena. I fell in love when I walked in. The area surrounding the hotel was not that nice, but walking in to a gorgeous ambiance brightened my day. The staff (especially Henry) was very friendly and accommodated our every need. The indoor pool made the hotel look very nice and the trendy deck with the pool was also excellent. The breakfast selection was fantastic. I also loved that even though my flight didn't take off until 8:15 pm, I was allowed to stay in my room right up until I left for the airport in a taxi! What great news! My only complaint was that the showers were cold.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just stayed here for a few days and it was really great. We got upgraded to the junior suite with balcony, a bit noisy from the street but better than only interior courtyard views. Included breakfast is amazing-i recommend the arepa con huevos. The staff are really attentive and willing to deal with my poor attempt at Spanish. The price is less than some of the other hotels in the old city proper, but is only just across the road. Only negative is the rooftop pool isn't the best I've seen, but there is a second on the ground floor courtyard.

• Stayed July 2013
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Casa Canabal was fantastic! To be perfectly frank, I was a little nervous when we drove through the Getsemani neighborhood en route to the hotel, but once the doors were opened it was like walking into an oasis. And after a day, I was totally comfortable in this neighborhood which is just outside the old walled city.

You can pay double the price for the same caliber property within the walls, but really, why would you? Everything you need is right here in this fantastic boutique property. The staff is incredible, our suite was great and the rooftop pool and bar are the best.

I have absolutely no complaints about this property and can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the 2nd floor with a cute little balcony overlooking the street in front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Canabal Hotel Boutique? Share your experiences!