“Gracious service in delighful surroundings.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ananda Hotel Boutique

You added Ananda Hotel Boutique to your Saves list
Ananda Hotel Boutique
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Calle del Cuartel #36-77 | Historic Center, Cartagena, Colombia   |
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Cartagena
California
“Gracious service in delighful surroundings.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This little hotel is superbly located in Cartagena's old town.
It is designed in colonial style but has every modern convenience, tastefully
designed with wonderful service and beautifully appointed rooms.
Staff is helpful and welcoming. The restaurant serves an excellent breakfast
with pleasant, pleasing service and lots of fresh fruit.
Spotless bathrooms have teak-slatted floors and lots of forceful hot water with quality
shampoos and soaps. Two swimming pools give choice of location and the sun decks
on two levels are the perfect places to watch the sun set.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Equipo Anandá H, Gerente at Ananda Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear Peripatetic

Your comments are our biggest reward and the main reason to keep trying to do our best every time.
We’re very pleased to know that you enjoy your visit to our city and your stay with us.
We’ll certainly be looking forward to have you with us in your next trip to Colombia.

Anandá Hotel Boutique

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Ananda was the home away from home that I wish were my real home rather than a hotel! From the moment of my first email inquiry, the service I received was outstanding and the property itself was beautiful. You are welcomed at check-in and made to feel as if you are their one and only guest. A tour of the hotel makes you feel as if you are visiting a private home with all of the luxuries and amenities awaiting you. The hotel has about 23 rooms but feels very private. It has a very serene and tranquil presence which is hard to imagine in the surroundings of chaos known as Cartagena Centro. Ananda has two beautiful pools, the rooftop one was my favorite with warm, caribbean breezes washing over you as you sip on a lovely cocktail or one of the many fresh juices. Even though the staff was not obtrusive they were available. As I sat on the roof I was asked if I wanted to take lunch which they promptly took care of. The food at Ananda is very good and even though I ate at some of the city's better known restaurants, my favorite meal was at the Ananda. I also had a massage which was divine! I really felt like the staff personally anticipated my wants and needs and provided great recommendations tailored to my preferences. They always took care to see how I was and if there was anything that I should want. I wanted for nothing more while a guest at the Ananda because they provided so much.
As far as room accommodations, it was quite large and beautifully decorated. The bathroom had a teak floor shower and the toiletries were very nice as one would expect at a high-end property. Everything was extremely clean and new.
Ananda provides pick up from hotel which is very convenient. They will also call you a taxi, help arrange tours, private or group, make dinner reservations, etc.

Finally for me the most important part of my stay was one of a medical nature. I was randomly stung by a bee and returned promptly to the hotel where they promptly removed the stinger and fetched cortisone for the reaction. They stayed with me to assure that I did not have a reaction and then checked on me later in the day to make sure I was feeling ok.

I stayed 4 nights at Ananda and am so pleased with my decision to stay there. I felt that I had a relaxing, pampered, personalize stay. I had considered a few other boutique hotels and luckily the sofitel was booked so I happily discovered the Ananda and would not stay anywhere else if I were to go back to Cartagena.

While I stayed there the other guests varied from businessmen to couples to a family. As a solo traveler I felt very secure and found it easy to meet others.

As for the person who wrote the comment about the refund, the Ananda clearly provided me in English their cancellation policy and also that it takes about 30 days for transactions to credit if necessary. I think it is fairly common at small hotels that you put down a deposit and so I wouldn't worry about this as the policy is clear and flexible.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Cartagena is absolutely charming. The streets are full of friendly people selling slices of fresh fruit, fried arepas and kitchen utensils made from coconut shells. By mid-afternoon, it's hot, hot, hot, so it's a pleasure to retreat to the elegant, peaceful, zen-like atmosphere of the Hotel Ananda. The small hotel, in a restored casa built around a central courtyard, is decorated in "Bali meets South America" style. The views from the mirador which overlooks the Old City are fantastic, with vistas to the sea beyond the city walls. The staff members of the hotel are outstanding. They made us feel very welcome, were always looking out for our well-being and were eager to help us improve our Spanish.
I could go back tomorrow!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Dtftravel

Receiving comments like yours make of our job a real privilege. Thank you a lot for sharing your experience with us in those wonderful words.
We’ll be looking forward to have you home again, during your next visit to Cartagena.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I'd like to preface this review by saying I did not get an opportunity to stay at the hotel, so I cannot comment on the quality of the hotel itself. This review is solely to warn travelers who may plan on staying here. I had researched all the local hotels, trying to pick a nice boutique hotel for my planned trip to Cartagena for this upcoming December. I came across Hotel Ananda and thought it would be perfect for a romantic trip with my boyfriend. Because December is high season, I wanted to reserve a room early on - and put down a US $340 deposit with the hotel. Unfortunately, my boyfriend got mobilized with the National Guard, and we had to cancel our trip. Per the hotel's policy, they would refund 80% of my deposit in the event I had to cancel. Two weeks ago, I requested a refund of my deposit. To date, I still have not received my deposit back. I have sent multiple requests via email. The front desk/accounting department has responded on several occasions, telling me I should expect my deposit back in a few days, or that it would take a little longer because it was an international transaction. I even had to send them my bank account information SEVERAL times (which made me extremely uncomfortable) over email, because they insisted that a refund to my credit card (original form of payment) would be more difficult. Their abilities to communicate in English is shoddy at best, and I've had an extremely frustrating time getting my deposit back. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll see the $270 back at all.

I'd like to warn any travelers who are thinking about this hotel - I would highly suggest thinking twice about putting down a deposit if there is ANY uncertainty at all about your travel plans.

• Stayed October 2010
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Spent one night here on a long weekend to Cartagena. The hotel is very nice, clean, new and chic with a very beautiful lobby. The food at the restaurant / room service is surprisingly great (especially for a hotel restaurant). The roofdeck is fabulous with a large jacuzzi for hanging out late afternoon (otherwise way too hot up there!) or in the evening. It's on the large size for other boutique hotels in the city, but still felt very private. The rooms are very nice (the bed incredibly comfortable) and with a very large bathroom. My only con for the hotel was that the front desk / concerierge could have been more helpful/knowledgeable. They did not have a very good map of the city nor were they very good at recommending / reserving restaurant / nightlife places. That said, everyone else was incredibly accommodating, helpful and friendly and it's still a relatively new place so I am sure that will get better as time goes on.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
We’d like to thank you a lot for your words. Comments like yours certainly incentivize us to keep trying our best every day. Every one of your important comments will be taken into account to fix any detail that needs to be adjusted.
We hope to have you Home again, during your next visit to Cartagena.

Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

Our stay at the Ananda Hotel Boutique was for 3 nights during Thanksgiving weekend. I had thoroughly investigated the various hotel options available in Cartagena. Since boutique hotels are the accommodations that my husband and I favor, I explored those that were within the walled city and walking distance to some of the famed sites. All of these boutique hotels looked fabulous, but the Ananda Hotel Boutique quickly differentiated itself and rose to the top of my list. These differences were made by Francisco, the hotel Manager, and his thorough and quick responses to my inquiring emails, the hotel’s outstanding dramatic beauty (a newly completed renovation), the 24-hour restaurant, full bar, a pool (with a Jacuzzi in it), another Jacuzzi and lovely terraces. Once we arrived, the hotel and staff exceeded our expectations. Our room, a luxury suite, was spectacular with two balconies and a unique bathroom. The peaceful, open spaces were ideal for après cocktails and relaxing. The Ananda’s central location was perfect with lots of activity, galleries and restaurants nearby. The breakfasts, included in the rate (airport transfers also were included), were flavorful and beautifully presented. The staff was professional, the service was heartfelt and that, combined with the aforementioned, makes us highly recommend the Ananda Hotel Boutique.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Anandá Hotel Boutique

Been to Ananda Hotel Boutique? Share your experiences!