“Good value & safe” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 116 hotels in Cartagena
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good value & safe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Hotel Santa Cruz is perfect for budget or value travel. It's right in the heart of the old city with a nice balcony to relax on and people watch. It has a sunny rooftop patio where you eat breakfast. The staff was polite and helpful. Contrary to other reviews, I felt safe here and didn't mind being let in and out of the hotel. If you are 4-star hotel type person, then of course this isn't the place for you. This has the basics to sleep, regroup and check your email and get some breakfast in the morning. The staff may not speak English but they will speak slowly for you in Spanish so you can practice your listening skills and get help at the same time. Again, if you are the type who expects English to be spoken despite not being in an English language country, then look elsewhere. If you're looking to relax, this is a good location and very functional.

We had stayed with another couple in one big room and then had to switch to a smaller room when the couple left. The hotel stored our bags and switched them over for us while we were out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Medellin, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed in this hotel on the weekend of 3rd November and we recommend nobody stays here for their own safety! At night times they actually lock with a padlock the front door even though they have a buzzer door system, if a fire was to break out you would never get out of the place without jumping off the balcony unless the staff were quick enough to respond and not forget the keys etc. This is the first place i have come across in 3 years in Colombia that does this and we told the guy but all he did was laugh.
The rooms are not quite as good as the photo's either and for our weekend they had no water from sunday night until sometime monday and then were not sure if it was working so we had to check ourselves! We stayed in room 204 which is next to the reception and you get to listen to everyone so get a room far away from there also. When we checked in they said our room would be ready in 15minutes and a person went scuttling off. After a while we were given our key and no-one had been in that room so they just lied to us. NEVER STAY IN THIS HOTEL!

Room Tip: different hotel is the only solution
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I read most of the reviews after I had already spent 10 nights in the hotel. I personally loved it, the staff was attentive to my needs, the served me breakfast when I woke up. Yes, the rooms dont have windows, but the a/c was COLD! I felt extremely safe staying at the hotel.
Most of the staff speaks english which was a huge plus for me and they all went out of their way to make me comfortable and at home.
To all the poor reviewers... This is not the USA that you are going to visit. Overall this place was extremely nice and had good vibes running through it.

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

If you have pet rat....don't let it stay here!
This place completely misrepresents itself online!!

It is a complete dump! How bad?? We paid for a week and left after one hour!
It was better to leave our $$$ behind than to experience one more moment in this place.
Room had no window, door lock was like family bathroom.....no safety, safe was a cash box
We walked past cleaner safer hostels that were a fraction of the price.
Do not bring children here. Towels were rotten....iterally....disgusting!
How people can misrepresent themselves so much is appalling.
I guess getting screwed every few years keeps you aware!!!!

The rest of Cartagena has been great!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is one block from Plaza Madrid and right in the center of old town Cartagena... There is alot to in this area and there are a lot of bars and restaurants around.. very safe!!! Its not the nicest but it has a bathroom, bed and most important Air Conditioner! Ah, and cheap!!

• Stayed April 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This is a Hotel in a great location in the middle of Cartagena. For the Price is the best you can ask for. People inthe hotel were Exelent. I was like home. Noise is part of Cartagena City. love it would Stay again without Think it Twice. i was in the Room in front of the Street and i did love it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

On my arrival the staff showed me the room I didn't like it at all. It was nothing like the pictures shown on the Internet. The room was nasty, dark. It didn’t even have a window, plus the area around the hotel was very noisy. It had the feeling of a "love hotel" more than a 2 star hotel. I complaint about the difference between the photos published and the real status of the rooms but the personnel couldn’t care less.

I decided not to stay in this hotel and asked them about the cancelation charges. They said nothing could be done and that my credit card will be charged $120,000 COP for the first night anyway. I asked to speak with the manager and I was told he was not available. On top of this, they contacted the travel agency I used to book this hotel and they told them that I didn't show up!!!

I would like to make clear that the photos circulating on the Internet are misleading and that something should be done about this so that other travelers are not dragged into the same scam.

At the end, I found an apartment in BocaGrande, behind the Decameron hotel, only one block away from the beach, with a nice view, balcony, kitchen, living room, with a pool in the top floor among other proper commodities for only $100,00 COP per night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!