“Cazuela del Mar - yum” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Cazuela del Mar - yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This "restaurant row" spot, right next to Perla, El Bistro and Peru, is French-owned, very cozy and easy going, very good service and one of the best meals we had in Cartagena. Will go back there next time. Try the cazuela del mar - like a Colombian bouilliabaisse. Super. They had some nice little wines too - Argentian, Chilean and some French. All written on a chalkboard. Loved it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Barrie, Canada
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

After having this resto recommended to us, we came away a little disappointed. The bread which arrived after we were seated was stale, no other way to describe it. It had to have been sitting out since lunchtime. Our meals consisted of a mushroom risotto which was extremely salty and a Mediterranean Salad plate which was actually quite tasty. We did not have dessert so I can't comment on that. Service was hit and miss depending on who was attending to you. Atmosphere was perhaps a little spartan but that might be just me. I much preferred the experience next door at el Bistro.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Kind of a disappointment after all the nice reviews on TripAdvisor. Went there for lunch with the wife after having been the day before at a fantastic Peruvian restaurant next door. I had the prix fixe lunch and my wife had a la carte. In my case, it seemed the menu was more a "guideline" than an actual contract between the parties. I order the chicken with plantains and all of the sudden the plantains turned into potatoes. For dessert, I ordered the vanilla icecream but I think the chef felt more like I had to have the arequipe cupcakes. In my wife's case, she had the cazuela de mariscos with a side of rice, and although the cazuela was not bad (not great either) the side of rice turned out to be a complete puzzle for us as it had the consistency of a risotto, but the taste of newspaper, so we never knew what it actually was. In all fairness it was the least expensive lunch we had in Cartagena the whole week, but it resembled more an expensive "corrientazo" than the French delicacy we thought we where going into when reading the TripAdvisor reviews. Not worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Our best meal in 9 days in Cartagena!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

So we went back again! A hard decision in a town with so many restaurants!

The staff and service is friendly but unobtrusive. The food delicious. The Mediterranean salad spectacular! Being vegetarian, we also had mango ceviche, guacamole, and mushroom risotto. Did I mention the chocolate mousse? There are not many places to get a dark, luxurious chocolate dessert in this town, and this is it!

The French music and uncrowned elegant space all add to a sweet experience that I couldn't recommend more!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
new york
“Oh La La What a Great Prix Fixe Lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Came upon this place while wandering around the Old City streets and what a great discovery! It's a cool looking place inside and has great prix fixe lunch specials. I had ceviche, seafood soup with rice and Lemonade for only $10...and the food was top notch. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2014