“How bad can a hotel be?” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Royal Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrera 4a No 11-69, Cali, Colombia   |
Ranked #73 of 80 Hotels in Cali
USA
“How bad can a hotel be?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went to Cali as participant to the World Games last month. Booked 2 rooms at the Royal Plaza for 8 nights, but after "enduring" the first night, I decided to leave. Reasons: in both rooms: bugs in rooms....in my room, the air conditioning stopped working in the middle of the night and instead of cold air, I had a non-stop and maddening "beeping noise" instead....no light in the bathroom of second room...plus both rooms above the casino with all the awful noise that came with it. Of course, I would not even mention the non working TV in both rooms.
Upon my explanation to the desk manager, it was not clear of what penalty I would have to pay. Someone said 50%, someone else said 100%...in any event, I offered to pay the night I stayed plus one other, in all fairness. As my Spanish speaking is not too good, and their English non existent (at least it's what they said) a Police officer helped me translate. To shorten the story, as he was upset of the way I was treated, he obtained a letter stating that when I'll come back to settle, two days later (at their request) I will have to pay 2 nights.
Of course, when I returned, another employee told me it was not possible and they will charge me for 100% penalty. Around $1,200!!!! After asking several time to talk to the "real" manager, nobody came...they could not find her, Olga is the name of the hiding manager! While we were having our conversation, I received an email from Bookings.com (which I used to book the room) telling me that the Royal Plaza declared me as a NO SHOW....and that my penalty would be of 2 nights, for both rooms, or about $200...and not $1,200.
When I showed this email to the employee, she understood the content, but had no answer to why they lied to Bookings, as I had receipts of my arrival. In any event, as I paid with American Express I stopped payment, and the investigation is on its way. Of course, I will never pay them $1,200 and my offer of 2 nights is plenty. They are dishonest and they gave Cali and Colombia a bad name. In the meanwhile, the rest of the city did whatever they could to make all the athletes feel comfortable and welcomed. I felt that way as soon as I left this rat hole or the Royal Plaza.

Room Tip: All rooms are awful, even for the price. The friend traveling with me was offered a first room..with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cali, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The location is in the center of cali, walking distance to la hermita cathedral. It's a very convenient walk to Aladdin casino, and Havana casino is right caddy corner. Royal plaza is a clean hotel with potential, yet I believe the management is not investing in the hotel, both rooms I stayed in had broken air conditioners and broken curtains, plus the elevator only worked 50% of the time.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel Royal Plaza? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel Royal Plaza

Address: Carrera 4a No 11-69, Cali, Colombia
Location: Colombia > Valle del Cauca Department > Cali
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Wheelchair access
Ranked #73 of 80 Hotels in Cali
Hotel Class:3 star — Hotel Royal Plaza 3*
In downtown hotel located in the center of Cali, 60 spacious, comfortable, minibar, free internet, hot shower, air-conditioned restaurant with the best view of the city, conference room and excellent service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Royal Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Hotel Royal Plaza, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.