“I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Barranquilla.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel El Prado
Carrera 54 No. 70-10, Barranquilla 51846, Colombia   |
Ranked #13 of 42 hotels in Barranquilla
Minneapolis
“I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Barranquilla.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is a classic architectural gem and sets the scene beautifully for warm Latin American hospitality delivered professionally by great staff. Swimming in that huge, beautiful swimming pool while seeing and hearing the breeze in the very tall palm trees and colorful tropical birds was priceless. Breakfast was included with our rooms, and I wasn't sure whether we would also eat other meals in the lovely dining room, but we loved our first lunch there so had a couple of others there, too, with no complaints whatsoever. On New Year's Eve, there was a huge banquet and party right at the hotel, where we felt that we belonged in Barranquilla even if only for a few hours. The neighborhood around the hotel felt like a gracious, safe area to walk in. As for the rooms themselves, well, the beds were VERY comfortable; everything was very clean and comfortable; we did not lack anything we needed or wanted. I enjoyed the classic feel of the ceramic floors everywhere throughout the hotel. If the room had a kitchenette, I could totally imagine staying at El Prado for a month or more. Maybe I will someday! I so hope that it keeps its historic charm.

Room Tip: We loved having one of the ground floor level rooms that opened right into the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Although certain modern amenities are missing, this is a classic hotel, complete with wonderful floors and elevators characteristic of old world charm.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
howkeeper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

The hotel was nice. The pool experience is very good. It is very nice for adults as it has a 9 ft end where you can actually swim, where as many US resorts do not have a deep end anymore. The rooms were nice but a little old. The staff is friendly and very attentive. I look forward to my return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
DC, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

This hotel is considered a national landmark and it's easy to see why. When you walk past the lobby and into the courtyard you will be transported to another era-- not sure what the design would be called but the pool and courtyard area reminds you of sitting around a top end hotel in Miami Beach surrounded by palm trees with a flowy breeze. Or maybe one of those movies depicting a hotel in Cuba or a Godfather movie. Lots of character. The pool courtyard is so peaceful that you forget you're in the middle of a city with whizzing cars outside its wall. An urban oasis.

I can't say enough good things about the service at Hotel El Prado. Seriously it's the equivalent attention you would get at the Ritz in the US.The people were so warm and accommodating, from the bellmen to the front desk staff to the pool attendant. The front desk staff (Luis, Luisa, and Lillybeth) were my absolute favorite of any hotel I have been. The were able to deal with some of my nutty requests like no other.

Here is the not so great-- Yes, what they say here about the rooms is accurate. They are older and need some major renovation (paging Ian Schrager), but you still get a good night's sleep, a shower with great water pressure, a mini fridge and a decent breakfast overlooking the most amazing pool ever. I recommend that if you are booking for a couple ask for Room 315 (they let us check out a few of the rooms and we liked that one the best). The rooms don't have irons so that was a little bit of a pain and the ones they brought up were ancient. A little background on why this may be:The hotel is currently owned by the government after being confiscated but run by the same company that runs the fancier Country International. Apparently the money that runs this hotel goes back to Country and has neglected the Prado. Such a shame. Hopefully the hotel is taken over and the rooms are converted. I can guarantee it will be revived. This hotel is popular with weddings and private events (note there were 4 events on a Saturday night) so do make sure you are aware of some music being heard.

Finally, we met the friendliest , less likely cab driver to rip us off at this hotel pickup. Roger (cell [--]) who brought us to the airport (22,000 Colombian Pesos). Ask him for decent places to eat where you won't pay crazy prices. And there is a supermarket up the street (Carrulla) where you can grab a decent lunch at a GREAT price at their deli--with many locals.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

I loved our stay in this place. This hotel is many years old and still keeps all the original. The pool is the same original pool of 80 year ago, beautiful! The building shows the years but its a unique beauty that most hotels do not have. We had a very comfortable suite, with a good size leaving room, and dinning room, the master bedroom was big and so was the bathroom, huge! The other bedroom had two Single beds with a TV my kids were very happy and comfortable. Very clean. The breakfast was excellent the restaurant is by the pool so you have a nice view with the palm trees, and the green scenery.

My husband and children do not speak Spanish, but they had no trouble communicating with the front desk. The staff spoke the language fairly well. They bit the Zuana resort on this, I could not find an English speaking person any where in Santa Marta at the Zuana.

Transportation?? From EL Prado is not difficult as there are taxis waiting in front of the hotel. My husband and I felt very secure in Barranquilla. The shopping malls, and different boutiques had everything you would need.

At the Prado, we ordered room service twice and the service and food were excellent. Also, I wanted to have a very special dinner with my family so I spoke to the people in the banquet department and they set up an unbelievable meal for our group of 15 for a reasonable price. The table set up by the pool with a canopy and lights was wonderful. The food was absolutely excellent (Bandeja Caribena, I think the plate was called), the service was great and the drinks were perfect (good Margaritas). Delicious flan for dessert. Really, I could not have gotten something so wonderful at any other place for the price they charged. They made our Good Bye Dinner so perfect. This hotel has my respect and I will stay at The Prado when we go back to Barranquilla, Colombia in the year end of 2010.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
El Paso
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

I got this hotel for $100 a night through Expedia. It included a great buffet breakfast. I stayed in the hotel with my girlfriend who lived in Barraquilla, Colombia for 8days.. It was a suite-all I can say is good about this stay. The hotel help was great. I left a tip each day for the maid and she would write me a thank you note each time. That has never happened in my many years of travel. Beautiful old world hotel with a great pool and good location.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

The hotel keeps its old charm although the bathrooms were "modernized" and look terrible. The bellboys and the waiters are wonderful. If you want to talk to the manager, you will be given the all-around. The manager claimed to be very busy to see me. I wanted to offer a Gardel photograph taken in Colombia in 1935. So if you need to talk to a manager, do not stay at this hotel.

The hotel does not have a single photograph of Carlos Gardel who was a guest at the hotel on June 4, 1935. That was the reason for my selecting the hotel.

The bedroom I chose was not found. How can that be. The picture is shown on the hotel website. I even took that photograph with me to make sure I was given that room. It was the double standard for $145 per night although I should have been charged $125 because I traveled alone.

Insurance per day is charged although guests are not advised about that. It comes as a surprise when the guest checks out.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel El Prado? Share your experiences!