“Best thing ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giant Panda Breeding Research Base (Xiongmao Jidi)

Giant Panda Breeding Research Base (Xiongmao Jidi)
No.1375 Xiongmao Avenue the Outside Northern Third Ring Road, Chenghua District, Chengdu 610081, China
028-83510033
Website
Improve this listing
Visit like an insider
Private Tour
$89*
and up
Private Tour: Chengdu Sightseeing with Panda...
Ranked #1 of 308 things to do in Chengdu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Viewing wildlife
Doha, Qatar
5 attraction reviews
“Best thing ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We loved absolutely everything about this place. It is so great and well run would recommend it to anyone. In fact we are considering going back to Chengdu again because we enjoyed it so much. You can pay extra to cuddle the juvenile panda cubs which is great. You can get a cheaper version where you get close access to take photos. They are expensive but it is such special treat and the panda loves the honey they get as a treat for taking part. If you pay the extra I am sure you will enjoy.

Several people talked about the mini-train but if you are of average fitness you should be fine and have lots of time on your hands you can easily wander around. The site is massive and the garden are lovely and very well kept. The koi carp in the pond are a wonderful sight. There are plenty of places to get something to eat and drink depending on what your budget is. It is truly a wonderful place and pandas are very easily seen though out the centre.

Visited November 2013

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
24 attraction reviews
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Arrived in the afternoon not so many people around, it was great.
Most of the adult pandas were sleeping, r sitting on their bums esting. Reminded me of my teenagers.
Loved it watched the babies play.
Amazing.
Also got up clise with the Red pandas, they are beautiful. Really enjoyed our visit.
Wear good walking shoes..

Visited January 2014
Chengdu, China
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I've been to see the panda's 4 times now and each time have been enchanted by these incredibly endearing animals.

Visited August 2013
Shanghai
5 attraction reviews
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Many more pandas than I anticipated. Definitely go early - we arrived around 9 a.m. and the pandas were highly active. They eat more and take more naps throughout the day, so early morning is best.

I was intent on having my picture holding a panda. My friend and I wanted to share the 2,000 RMB donation (as we had read this might be an option on TripAdvisor). Either we got a less lenient employee, or this has changed, because it was strictly enforced that only one person can take pictures with the panda for the 2,000 RMB donation. I envisioned a panda on my lap, but Oreo was more like a lazy fat man hanging out on the couch. So, my picture is beside the panda (that probably would have crushed my lap). Amazing, nonetheless!

Also, we arrived early to ensure we had a spot. The pictures aren't taken until 10. So, go early, sign up so you are early on when the panda is still engaged in pictures. Then go check out the red panda display. You can literally have them walk no more than two inches from you. I'm not sure that you are allowed to touch them - we chose not to, but certainly could have from a proximity perspective.

Thought this would be a short two to three hour stint...ended up loving it and spending the whole day. The center suggests not bringing food, likely to prevent feeding the animals. However, we found their food selection lacking and were happy we had a few treats in our bag.

Finally, the gift shops are sub-par if you want any quality goods. Truly the best souvenirs were from the panda holding donation (nice scarf, tie, or t-shirt, and a pin and a DVD, etc.) and from the Chengdu airport. Not many branded items, mostly cheap looking hats, gloves, teddy bears, etc. Perfect for kids, but certainly not fancy souvenirs.

Also, when you leave, either already have a taxi / driver arranged, or figure out the buses (Mandarin required). We used the buses and the Lonely Planet guide was missing a few steps. Fortunately someone assisted us. The taxi drivers were literally asking for double the price of the initial trip and some were unmarked - don't use those! If you don't know Mandarin, take one of the blue taxis but note that the meter likely won't be used. Ensure you agree on a price before going...and be prepared the price may increase by the time you arrive at your destination.

Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
42 attraction reviews
“So many pandas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The breeding centre is like a zoo of pandas, there were so many more than I expected. The area is very large, so give yourself 2-3 hours to walk around the place, seeing all the pandas. There are two nurseries, Moonlight and Sunlight, where you can see the baby pandas, they are so adorable!

Best time to go is early morning, we went in winter and got there around 8, and by the time we finished late morning a lot of groups had arrived. The Centre is quite close to Chengdu, less than 10km from the North Railway Station. I stayed near there and a taxi cost around 25 yuan. There are also a few buses that you can take too.

I definitely recommend this place, even if you aren't the biggest panda fan, I wasn't before but now I was so glad I went!

Visited December 2013