“Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Chengdu Taihe to your Saves list
Sofitel Chengdu Taihe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.15 Binjiang Middle Road, Chengdu 610016, China (Formerly 索菲特万达大饭店)   |
Ranked #28 of 1,927 hotels in Chengdu
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions. The hotel is very good, good value for money. The staff were great and also helped us with getting some good seats for the Sichuan opera as well as made arrangements for us to visit leshan for a day. The location is very convenient to walk around the place in the evenings with plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is clean and service is good, breakfast is excellant with plenty of local as well as international options. The dandan noodles at breakfast were awesome but make sure you tell them to go easy on the spice!, they can make it seriously spicey!!! We found the hotel restaurants rather pricey though and so we had our dinners mostly at the many restaurants nearby. If you' d like to try the Sichuan hot pot (Huo Guo) at a very local restaurant! Do visit the hotpot restaurant just a 2 minute walk from the hotel (sorry, do not recollect the name). The staff dont speak english but the menu has pictures and its a hot pot place so quite easy to order. If you like Japanese food there's an excellent japanese place (Hanasato) at the mall nearby.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Maie C, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thanks for taking your time to write the review for our hotel and your positive comments. In particular your comments about the excellent service from our staff are much appreciated. It certainly is a pleasure to know that our efforts are recognized. We hope you will be equally satisfied on your next stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

567 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last month. The hotel is beautiful! The staff was very helpful and friendly! Our room was very spacious and clean. The pool was wonderful! The area is heated. The hotel staff offers you lemon water and a towel when you get to the pool. That was really nice! (Make sure you bring a swim cap if you intend to go to the pool.) The hotel gym is a little warm, so it's difficult to work out on the machines. It's also pretty small, but has a decent number of machines in it.
We ate at the hotel restaurant. The restaurant staff doesn't speak much English, but the menu has a lot of pictures. I ordered a mushroom dish that wasn't labeled as spicy, but was very spicy! My husband wasn't able to eat it. If you intend to eat at the restaurant, you may want to ask if the dish is spicy or not. The food was good, but not great.

Overall, the hotel was great! We'd definitely stay at this hotel again! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Maie C, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We do appreciate you taking the time to share your pleasant experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. One of our priorities is to deliver a high standard of service and quality throughout our hotel and we are making much effort to improve the training and supervision of our team. We will continue to enhance our staff’s English level to offer the best service to you. We hope you will be equally satisfied on your next stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Located off the river and bit off the main road in downtown Chengdu.

Location:
Sofitel is in an ok location, close by the river.
Close enough to walk to the old town and it was relaxing walking along the river, seeing the locals exercise.
No subway station nearby though.

Rooms:
Room was smokey so we had to ask for another.
Room itself was ok, not really up to 5 star standards but it wasnt a bad room and we got a good rate on it.

Service:
Service staff were nice and friendly.
Knew the area well and showed us how to get around.

Overall:
Had a nice stay at the Sofitel and wouldnt mind returning to it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Maie C, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for staying at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu.

We do appreciate you taking your time to share your experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. Your positive comments regarding our location, Rooms and Service is much appreciated. There is a Subway Station for Line 1 about 5 minutes walk away from our hotel - we hope our team can give you directions to this subway station and it will be helpful for your next stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and extending Sofitel Wanda Chengdu's high standards of luxury hospitality to you again.
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Location is convinient for going to the AirPort and Panda research. We really experted better from Sofitel... We were upgraded in Suite Room (which is nice). We were really disappointed : really dirty, dirty fitted, hair of the last client in the bathroom and toilet, cockroaches, moisture in the bathroom, no wireless, many light bulbes didn't work...
The most disappointing was the time of the breakfast. Everything has to be ready at 6.30am... And at 6.45am nothing ! When you have to leave early for the airport and you pay such a price, you expert everything is ready for 6.30am. According the counter, normally it is ready for 6.20am... Our feeling is that there is no GM who is checking this hotel (Time of breakfast, cleaning...) which is not in the standards of Accor and Sofitel !

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thanks for your time to write the review on our hotel and we are so sorry about your unpleasant experience in our hotel. We take your review very seriously in order to enhance our service and quality. We have reviewed the important issues regarding the breakfast and cleaning with our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage Teams and hope you will experience the quality improvements on your future stay with us.
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

At the check-in I asked for non-smoking, but finally got smoking one I could actually smell when entering the room. Trusting in the quality of the 5 star hotel, I did not even ask for confirmation from the check-in, but blamed myself I might be too sensitive to the smell. I could not manage to sleep until early next morning to see 2 ashtrays and matches in the room! The service center told me, "it is sometimes smoking, sometimes non- smoking sir!"

I then called the Asst.Manager without any better solution because non- smoking room was fully booked. She offered me a room with more expensive room rate on a non-smoking floor, but it was too complicated to settle additional fees due to different booking systems. It was understandable. She then told me I can cancel the second night, but I need to contact the travel agency by my own.

I went out for a meeting, asked my assistant to cancel the 2nd night room, called the hotel 2 times if there was any room available, but NO. I came to the hotel to check out, and one staff told me I can get a non-smoking room. I agreed to proceed. It took us about 30 mins to fix the settlement issues. Finally I gave up and accepted the risk of double payments to both the hotel, and the travel agency, rushed to several afternoon meetings before coming back very late to enjoy a good sleep on the very comfortable Sofitel bed set. Its bed, bed sheet and pillow are of great value.

The Gym is quite old, its machines are outdated and are not well-maintained. Do not expect any attention from the Gym staff, not even say hi, or bye, or even eye-contact. The swimming pool is nice.

Note that I am a regular traveler to China with more than 20 business trips a year, and also a mandarin speaker.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and we do take your review comments very seriously. Please accept our sincere apologies for your unpleasant experience in our hotel. Our priority is to delivery a high standard of service and quality throughout our hotel and we are making much effort to improve the training and supervision of our team. We sincerely hope you have the opportunity to experience our improved quality on your future stay.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is my third time staying in this hotel, I will defintely come back. Decent room size with nice decor and excellent service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu.

We do appreciate you taking your time to share your pleasant experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. Your positive comments regarding our facility is much appreciated.
Chengdu, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed in room 2012, and bed is as soft as I prefer. Many options in minibar. It`s wiring internet instead of wifi and the wire is short which is not impossible when I tryed to use laptop in bed. However, it`s an old hotel and I understand. Lobby smells great and I like their idea that using candle in the lobby at night. Staff of Front were kind and helpful, especially bellboy. Thanks for calling taix on time for me and I didn`t miss my flight. You should know how difficult to get a taxi in Chengdu especially in downtown area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Maie C, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write the review for our hotel. Our candle ritual is one of our French touches that add to your luxury experience. In particular your comments about the excellent service from staff of front desk are much appreciated. It certainly is a pleasure to know that our efforts are recognized. We hope you will be equally satisfied on your next stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Sofitel Chengdu Taihe? Share your experiences!