“Looks impressive but not practical” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel to your Saves list
Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Hailrun Square, No.216 Xiadong Street, Jinjiang District, Chengdu 610021, China   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #13 of 2,059 Hotels in Chengdu
Los Angeles
“Looks impressive but not practical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I like this hotel, the hotel is quite new and staffs were nice especially those during checking in and out.
I was upgraded to the executive floor and the room was impressive as I walked in: full ceiling to floor clear glass view to the outside (not much of a view but open spaces with skyscrapers being built all around), here comes the strange part, the bathroom spans the width of the room and faces the street with the tub and toilet right next to this huge glass, I was told that the glass is not semi-mirror so that while you enjoy watching people working, they enjoy watching how you use the bathroom so for privacy, you have to lower the shade however, the shade is a single piece and does not come down in sections so that if you want to use the toilet, you have to turn on the lights. If you use the tub or the shower stall, you have to come out wet across the room to get towels and as for me, my glasses too and the bathroom becomes all wet. Oh, the toilet paper is located that you have to twist your hand to get it. The bed was good but the chair and couch were so uncomfortable, so much of the room was for looks until you uses them.

Room Tip: Get the shades down, I didn't know that the glass were clear glass until the next day.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chengdu, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The staff at this hotel is very helpful! There are a number of persons that made my experience very homely and I must acknowledge in my review.

The room was truly exceptional, after a long day it is rewarding to come to and I would recommend the Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel to anyone looking to relax and feel at home after a long day. The whatever whenever service, is at the name says, the staff really try to help you with just about any issue or concern you may have, I take this time to thank you for your excellent service, acknowledging me by name and making me feel so comfortable to call for anything.

The atmosphere at the hotel is very lively, the bed is rewarding and amenities in the room was great in the hotel and what you can expect for a 5 star hotel.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Southport, Ct. Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights. The staff were attentive, the breakfast was fine, and the bed was pretty good but we found the room to be horribly uncomfortable and inconvenient. Given the choice I would never stay there again. The hotel was designed to appeal to people who value style above comfort. There are very few towel racks and no counter space in the bathroom to put your toothbrush, shaving supplies etc. There must be 15 or 16 light switches by the bed, controlling various combinations of lights. It was impossible to figure out what switch turned on or off what light. When we entered the room at night it was pitch black and very hard to find the switch to turn on the light. There is no desk; instead there is a bar with a high stool that is very uncomfortable for working at a computer. The fitness center is not airconditioned and very warm. The pool is outdoors and you have to cross a dirty concrete floor to get to it. In summary, this hotel looks good on paper but it is a very frustrating place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed there for a night when I was in Chengdu for business. I heard that it is a new hotel and it shows. The suite I had has a separate lounge area in the room. The bed was clean and comfortable, and there was a choice of soft and hard pillows for me to choose from.

The only view I had was from the restroom, which overlooks old housings and construction site. Your privacy is ensured by a touch of a button which sends the curtains down. The restroom has a great rain shower facility and a clean bath tub. The only gripe I have with the restroom is that the switch for certain lights cannot be found. For example I could not locate the switch for the toilet cubicle, so I spent some time there in relative darkness.

I was especially pleased by the turn down service. I went back to the room at night to find that there was a tray of nuts and a flask of warm tea with the next day's weather information set out. As the weather was cooling, the warm tea was a nice touch.

The decor of the hotel and the room was tastefully done and I felt that it bears a bit of similarity to W Hotel. The breakfast was ordinary and the hotel could do better with more variety of food.

Overall, it is an excellent hotel. For travelers seeking comfort in this inland city, this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2012
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I used to stay at the Shangrila everytime I come here but decided to try this recently opened new hotel which is not as close as Shangrila to the very popular eating & clubbing hotspot Kwai Fong Chengdu (literally 30 steps away from the Shang's own bar Mooney's!), but still close enough around a 5-minute walk. It feels like a stylish, private and contemporary boutique hotel with nice rooms (got upgraded so I had a living room!). Interior was chic and stylish, and the room I had was of a decent size. Oh and there were 2 TVs in the room! I find the food much better than Shangrila's and service here showed a lot of personal touch. They even put a late night snack tray on your bed with mild tea and pistachios. The GM Alison is from HK and she told me this hotel is actually of the same group as the award-winning Hotel LKF in HK's LKF area!! Given the price being 2/3 of Shangrila, I would much prefer this hotel to the Shang. And I loved the close distance to LKF which has quite a lot of quality restaurants, bars and very trendy clubs! Will definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I travel internationally a lot and I have four main priorities when selecting a hotel other than location, which is unique to each person’s travel needs: 1) solid air conditioning that can be controlled from the room, 2) no-smoking rooms that truly are no-smoking rooms (read: no nasty smell in the room), 3) free in-room wi-fi, and 4) access to good Western breakfasts with the breakfast charge included in the room rate. Give me these four things and I’m willing to pay up a bit. I was scheduled to stay in a Holiday Inn in Chengdu, but my local friend who own a business near the Rhombus recommended it to me. FANTASTIC advice. In every way, the Rhombus exceeded my expectations. The A/C was perfect, there was no smokey smell whatsoever in my room, the WIFI worked brilliantly in the room (and was free) and the hotel's restaurant had a huge variety of delicious food (Western and Asian). The best, parts, though, were that the hotel is smack in the middle of downtown Chengdu and close to everything, and that the hotel itself is brand new. The hotel is very modern, in the lobby area, the restaurant, and especially the rooms. I could not have been happier with the room. It was essentially a suite, with a living room and a bar area when you first walk in, with a bedroom that was partitioned from the living room with a funky demi-wall. there was also a separate dressing area and a HUGE bathroom with two sinks, a tub, a glass-enclosed toilet area and another glass-enclosed shower. This room was bigger and WAY nicer than any of the apartments I've lived in and at an incredibly reasonable cost (I think only 850 RMB per night, breakfast included). The staff were also delightful, top to bottom. To me, all other hotels in Chengdu just vanished from the city...this is the only one to stay in. Period.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed a night here on 16/712, very new hotel !
swimming pool is ready, staff are very helpful in information , they are able to speak english too !
the hotel is very near to eatery n famous chunxi rd, lots of shopping n transportation is easy, a direct bus 301 from the airport can reach here.
Room are huge n we stayed in G60 Suite

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel? Share your experiences!