“Nice hotel downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza

You added Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.231 Zhiquanduan,East Avenue | Jinjiang District, Chengdu 610061, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 2,060 Hotels in Chengdu
China
“Nice hotel downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Oriental Plaza. As a platinum redeeming rewards points, we were given an upgraded room on the executive floor (which includes up to RMB50 laundry service; free drinks in the club lounge, and 4pm late check out).
The night before we stayed at the Holiday Inn Century City West. While we had no problems at the Oriental Plaza, the service at Century City was much better. The breakfast buffet was good, but not as full as the Century City. One major advantage of Oriental Plaza is location- it's right by a subway station downtown. Also, it has a heated indoor pool that my son spent most of our stay in. It's 1.4m deep so perfect for him.
One of the few drawbacks was the bathroom- the lock didn't latch and there's a huge window between the shower and main bedroom. You can pull a curtain down on the bedroom side, but if you're in the shower, anyone in the room could just pull up the curtain. Also, the room was warm- no matter how I adjusted the thermostat, it always stayed just too warm.
Overall I'd recommend the hotel, but it took 15,000 points. The Century City is a much better hotel and only takes 10,000.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very good location, add the entrance of subway line 2. New hotel, very good breakfast (sushi, noodle station and eggs station, fresh fruits and vegetables, all kinds of bread, good coffee), nicely appointed rooms with modern bathroom.

Nice executive lounge, with choice of snacks (sushi, pasta, spring rolls and pastries) and drinks (beer, wine, softdrinks) in the evening, from 18.30pm to 21pm. Well worth the extra money.

Reception staff could be more client oriented, and availability of maps in English would also be an improvement.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
LDN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two nights on a business trip. The hotel itself is very new and the reception area, lobby and restaurant are very nicely decorated. The staff on reception who checked us in were not very friendly and no one offered to carry our luggage from the taxi or to our hotel rooms.

We had paid to get a pick up from the airport and the driver demanded a cash payment when we arrived. This is unusual and I would've preferred to have put it on my room account.

The room was nicely decorated with a large tv but I was given a twin room rather than a double. I asked to change and was told it was not possible but I am sure that the hotel was not full as breakfast and reception were really quiet.

Two staff from the concierge were really helpful, polite and friendly. The others did not speak good english and were unable to help with basic requests i.e. finding locations etc. There were also times when they put me into taxis without telling the driver where I was going.

The hotel was ok but the staff need some training. Breakfast was also a little disappointing with only a few international options.

Room Tip: Ask for a double...you won't get one!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is a 10 minute walk away from Chunxi Rd. which is the center of Chengdu. Since the hotels closer to Chunxi Rd. are all old and expensive (including the Holiday Inn option) or just old, this is hotel is a great option if you want to be close to the action but still stay in a new hotel.

Unfortunately, the location and the new hardware is the only really good things about this hotel. The bad things are:
- Clueless front desk staff (attitude reminds me of 2 and 3-star hotels in China 10 years ago -- they "manage" guests instead of trying to help them).
- Useless bell boys, prepare to run after your own taxi.
- Bad plumbing, although the hotel is brand new (early 2012) both rooms I have stayed in had bathrooms that became flooded after a short shower.
- Really bad food, really, really bad food, especially when you consider this to be a Holiday Inn in the year of our lord 2012 (again, reminds me of the way Chinese hotel food used to be in the better western hotels 15 years ago)

Last time I stayed here the pool was closed even though I had called before and asked and they guaranteed it would be open. This time around we were told that they could not give us a King-Size bed although we had booked a King-Size bed room via the Holiday Inn website one week in advance and had confirmation! I said it was acceptable, and the explanation was that people who came before me had selected King-size rooms and since they came before me they got them. I argued for 20 minutes while my girlfriend fell asleep in the lobby. Finally, after I started dialing the Holiday Inn number in the US, they gave me a King size bed room.By that time I was already so pissed I did not really appreciate the upgrade.

One things I learned from my upgrade: Don't pay for a suite. I prefer the regular deluxe King-size rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good: very helpful and friendly staff- very happy to try to speak in English as well as give us directions to various places, get us cabs, good wireless in the lobby and cafe but none in the rooms, excellent coffee in the cafe, good breakfast.
Bad: far from city center, far from airport, close-enough to Renmin park but why would you want to really go there?
Ugly: room sort of had a window - 3/4th of it was a wall, very wierd and claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Check out the area at the back of the hotel further from the 711, loads of little local restaurants...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nicole L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We appreciate your time and comments about your stay at Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza. We are glad that your stay was pleasant and excellent. Thank you for giving us an oppotunity to showcase out facilities and services.
Regarding to the wireless, we have upgrated the service machine so that wireless can be used anywhere in the hotel. As to the location, actually, our hotel is just five minutes drive from city center—Chunxi Commercial Street, and our hotel could provide a map for your refrence. Due to engineering design, there is one room with a relatively small window in each floor. We are sorry for any incovenience caused, and we have informed our enginerring department on this issue.
Please drop us a note if you ever visit Chengdu again, we shall provide more detail information for you!

Regards,

Eva
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location with a subway station literally next to the hotel entrance and a lively little street adjacent to the hotel with plenty of food stalls, restaurants and a lovely open air teahouse (next to the river). The bus station for a daytrip to the Dafo Giant Buddha is a 10 min taxi drive.

Rooms are large and high standard; hotel is brand new and occupation still low, so ask for an upgrade when you check in.

Overall very good place.

• Stayed October 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Checked in the 2 nd of october and booked an executive room. It is mentioned that this hotel has AC but after 4 hours the temperature was still 23 degC in the room. I finally went down to the reception and they told me that they have inabled the AC to be individually controlled below a certain amount of degrees. There was also a smell of urine in the bath room and the shower was dirty (I have evidence on pictures). I do travel up to 200 days a year and I do off course know that HolidayInn is not a five star hotel, but an AC which cannot be controlled and dirty smelly bathrooms are not ok. As consequence of this I cancelled the other 2 nights directly during the first evening. The breakfast room was overcrowded and You needed to fight for a table.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza? Share your experiences!