“Luxury Apartment in central Chengdu” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Somerset Riverview Chengdu

Save Saved
You added Somerset Riverview Chengdu to your Saves list
Somerset Riverview Chengdu
4.0 of 5 Apartment Hotel   |   No.1 3rd Section of Renmin South Road, Wuhou District, Chengdu 610041, China   |
Special Offer
30th Anniversary 30% Off
Ranked #10 of 1,967 hotels in Chengdu
Melbourne, Australia
“Luxury Apartment in central Chengdu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is an excellent high quality Somerset Riverview Chengdu Apartment. We stayed in a Premier one bedroom Apartment (the Premier Apartments are located at the West end of each floor and have huge windows facing North and South overlooking the main street which provided a lot of excitement for us during our stay with magnificent views). It had a two burner stove and two door refrigerator, big study desk with fast cable internet, lots of seating, nice dining table & chairs and an air-conditioner that worked well. Safe was fixed to the wall. There was no dishwasher and no place to hang your wet washing which is a negative. Only one breakfast was included in our price, but as it was our first time in China they offered a second breakfast for free. It had good choices for Chinese or Western Foods. The Chef made fresh fried eggs on request and bacon was available. Carrefour, a local supermarket within walking distance, had very poor fruit and vegetables, some Western foods and only accepted cash, no foreign credit card. We have stayed in each of the three Ascott Brands of apartments in China – Ascott, Somerset and Citadines and found them all excellent and would have no hesitation in recommending the above brands in China.

Room Tip: Book the Premier One Bedroom Apartment, it has a huge floor area, with magnificent views North and S...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mervin H, General Manager at Somerset Riverview Chengdu, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear TravelPlanner 2000,

Thank you for taking precious time out to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Our property offers a panoramic view of the famous Jinjiang River, nestled in the tranquil and lush surroundings right in the middle of the city centre. I am glad that you enjoyed the excellent view from our Premier 1 Bedroom suites!

At Somerset Riverview Chengdu, we pride ourselves on always going the extra mile for our guests and i am pleased to note that we managed to meet and exceed your expectations in a) providing an extra complimentary breakfast as well as b) prompt servicing by our chef in preparation of your morning breakfast of fresh eggs and bacon.

I note that you have raised 2 excellent suggestion where we can further improve on our existing product offerings, namely the lack of a dishwasher and a rack to hang wet laundry.

At this moment, our apartment units do not come equipped with a dishwasher and a clothes rack for wet washes, but we will certainly take this concept onboard in our future property enhancements.

In the meantime, all our apartment units are equipped with our own in-house dishwashing liquid. We would be glad to assist in helping to wash your dishes, if requested. In addition, our washing machines are also fully equipped with self-contained, dual wash-and-dry facilities to ensure our guests face minimal hassle in completing their laundry.

Once more, thank you for choosing to patronize our serviced apartments and allowing us the opportunity to "wow" you. I eagerly look forward to welcoming you back to Chengdu and the Somerset Riverview Chengdu.

Yours Sincerely.

Mervin Ho
Residence Manager
Somerset Riverview Chengdu

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

At least, in our experience in China, Somerset Riverview Chengdu is the BEST!! We only have one night in Chengdu and was tempted to change our itinerary and flights to have another comfortable night here. Let's start from the check-in - friendly, polite, confident and efficient staff. They performed well under pressure of multiple guests checking in at the same time. Cleanliness is meticulous. We love our spacious room on a high floor overlooking the city - furnishing is warm and welcoming. Wifi works well. iPod speakers. Big TV screen. Washing Machine. Breakfast spread was good and clean. Value for money! Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I spent two weeks at the Somerset Riverside during a month long trip to China. Of the seven hotels that I stayed in over the course of that trip, it was definitely my favorite.

I stayed in one of the executive suites. The in-suite kitchen and laundry facilities were a welcomed luxury. The rooms were well appointed and very clean. The location was excellent. There were a number of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The staff was friendly.

There is a “wet market” (fresh noodles, produce, and meats) that makes a great place to pick up items for dinner and to get a look into the local culture. From the hotel, make a right, go past the elementary school and take another right. The market is on the left. There is also a Carrefour (French-based department store with a large supermarket inside) that is about 15 minutes away.

The hotel sits on the river that has walkways along both sides. It is a great place for an evening stroll. Ask for a riverfront room, the view of the city is spectacular.

For me, the only drawback was the absence of currency exchange inside the hotel, but there are a number of banks very close by. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed in one of the executive suites. room was large and had a small kitchen. Had a wonderful view of the city and river. Walking distance to most of everything, even though Chengdu is a big city. Staff were very helpful to me on some copying and printing of business documents. This is a residence style hotel and has a great gym and common areas. Also,breakfast is included which is one of the best I have had on this trip.

Highly recommend the Somerset Riverview if you are in Chengdu.

Room Tip: Choose river view rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at the Somerset Riverview for 2 weeks in a 1BR this month when I attended the Cooking School at the Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine.

The location is really good. Carrefour is about a 15 minute walk, the subway is a 5 minute walk just over the bridge. If you exit the Somerset and head right, you'll find an excellent Sichuan restaurant called Gingko where the waiters speak English and if you keep going, you'll find the bar district. Head left and you'll find an HSBC branch where it take all foreign ATM cards and if you keep going, you'll hit the Jinli Ancient Street.

The staff is friendly and they were more than happy to make arrangements for cabs and restaurant reservations whenever I asked.

I am from HK, so the size of the 1BR to me is quite large. There is a new LG washer/dryer that I used regularly which worked very well and the kitchen is equipped with whatever you need to eat in except for food.

My stay included a complimentary breakfast. It's not bad but I'm not a breakfast person so I only went once. The gym is quite good. There are 4 treadmills, an elliptical machine, several stationary bikes, free weights and a number of nautilus like machines and they are quite new. Hardly anyone is in there so it was like having my own gym.

Internet access is free, you can use wifi or an ethernet connection. It's a bit unstable when skyping overseas but normally surfing is fine.

Overall, I thought the Somerset was very good especially for a second tier city in China. If I was in Chengdu again, I would definitely stay there again.

My only pet peeve with this place is the windows. There is one panel that you can open or close in the bedroom and living room. However, if you close it, you cannot lock it. So every now and then there is some wind and the window opens a bit and then slams shut. When I was sleeping the first night, it bothered me. But after a while I just got used to it.

Room Tip: If you can, opt for a riverview room. Also, a 1BR is much nicer than the studio.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My family and I, altogether 9 pax stay at the above mentioned hotel from 25 May - 27 May & 30 - 31 May. My entire family and I had a wonderful stay at the hotel. We booked 3 x one bedroom and it was very spacious with a beautiful view of the canal too. Everything in the hotel was well kept and superbly clean. Service from all staff were fantastic and they made us felt right at home. I will definitely recommend to my friends if they visit Chengdu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed alone in a 1-bedroom apartment. It has the great view of the city and the river. The breakfast is good for a serviced apartment, with my favourite freshly ground coffee. The service staff is very prompt, polite and effective. My apartment is huge, a over-size king bed, large hall, dining and even a study area, not to mention a functional kitchen and washing area. Very convenient for shopping and work.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Somerset Riverview Chengdu? Share your experiences!